“All Around Fabulous!”

Ranked #31 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Cleveland, Ohio
“All Around Fabulous!”
Reviewed December 12, 2011

This place is absolutely fabulous. We wanted a great hotel with a location on Michigan Avenue for our two day business meeting and we found it in the Omni. The staff was superb, the meals were delicious and the staff handled our every request with ease even when there were last minute changes. Would we return...you can bet on it on both a professional and personal level. Thank you Omni!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Sacramento, California
Reviewed December 10, 2011

For a 4.5 star hotel I was disappointed.

The location is great since it's on the main strip with a fleet of other hotels. However, the exact cross street that this hotel is on was very tricky to find and navigate. I got lost multiple times with my rental finding the hotel, it was quite frustrating as it's huge and very visible from the street.

I was upgraded to a suite when I checked in but found the suite to be a bit outdated. The cable television was the worst quality I have ever seen in a hotel or motel. It's as if the signal was coming from the basement and had been split 405 times to feed into every room. And yes, when I travel for leisure I do sometimes zone out in front of the hotel TV to relax.

I had the requisite extra charges and mistakes on my bill upon checking out for items I supposedly took from the minibar. This is a frequent complaint for this hotel if you check on other hotel review websites.

My friend who is a Chicago native said that the Omni is very impressive when it comes to their conferences rooms and catering but I didn't see any of that. During my stay the service was just okay and very uneven but not befitting the reputation of the Omni.

The first woman checking me in was professional, the bellboy seemed a little green but earnest, and everyone else that I spoke with on the phone had an attitude and didn't seem to want to be of help. Not 4.5 star service at all. The lobby of the hotel is grand but also very nondescript. The entire hotel seems to be painted with a forgettable, universal 'big hotel' circa 2000 paint brush.

If the service were more fitting of its star rating and more consistent I would rate this hotel higher. Would not stay here again unless I found a good deal on a booking site.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, December 22, 2011
We’re sorry to hear that we didn’t deliver a memorable stay. As far as directions, we are more than happy to help any guests on their way to the hotel. We also apologize for the poor television signal and the billing issues upon check out. We typically receive high marks on our personalized service on TripAdvisor, but we’re sorry we didn’t replicate that during your stay. We address negative reviews with our staff and we’ll discuss our phone etiquette. We hope that you will find a good deal in the future and that we might get a second chance to show you the level of service we’re capable of delivering.
Avon, OH
Reviewed November 30, 2011

This was my first stay at this property although I have tried many other hotels in the area. Check-in for a group was relatively painless. We arrived early and they held our bags until that afternoon when we could get our rooms. The lobby is actually on the third floor. There is a unusual arrangement where you take one set of elevators to the lobby and move to another bank of elevators to get up to the rooms. At the least this is awkward but the elevators are reasonably fast and I never had a long wait for a car.

The room(s) are good size. The suite has a separate bedroom with doors and a large bathroom. There is a TV in the main living area as well as the bedroom although there is a mediocre selection of channels. Pay per view is available at EXORBITANT prices.
There was a wet bar in the room setup with a coffee maker. The mini-fridge was locked but I assume any items there would have been reasonably priced like the $7.50 bottle of water on the counter.

I had breakfast and dinner at the hotel restaurant on the fourth floor. The dinner was quite good although the menu was rather limited. Breakfast offered a buffet or menu items. While the meal was OK (how hard is it to fry a couple eggs?), $20 for a buffet just seems wrong to me.

The staff was always helpful and courteous.

The hotel location on N. Michigan avenue is ideal for a shopping junket or a visit. There are also many fine restaurants within walking distance. Givin the chance I will stay here again , although I will dine elsewhere.

Room Tip: Traffic noise might bother some so ask for a higher floor.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed November 29, 2011

I was there for a weekend with some family and friends. We had a great time. The hotel is in a perfect location. We liked the fact that the hotel is all suites. We were able to get 2 suites connecting which was wonderful!

I lived in Chicago for several years so I was familiar with the city, but my friends took full advantage of the concierge. The employees were wonderful! They always asked us how our stay was going and if we needed anything.

PROS: Spacious suites, great location, great employees, and if you are a Select guest member extra benefits.

CONS: Restaurant was pricey

Room Tip: Choose the Superior suites, it is a corner room and great view!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Greenwood, Indiana
Reviewed November 28, 2011

This was our second time to stay. From valet, checking in, our room, checking out, valet service- It was all excellent !! We will be staying here next year as well.

Room Tip: we stayed in a corner room, away from elevator. Last year we stayed at a different hotel and near a...
1 Thank khainley09
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Our family stayed at the Omni in Chicago for a quick getaway. From the moment we arrived with the car the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. The kids received a backpack of goodies and games. The suite we stayed in was in excellent condition and appeared to be new. The staff brought cookies and milk for the kids and water for us in the evening which was a nice touch. The pool and workout facilities were fully stocked and clean. The only thing I would recommend is for the hotel to have a lower priced cafe for families but there are plenty of places nearby. Highly recommend.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Chicago Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2011
Thanks for taking the time to write a review. It sounds like you really enjoyed your stay with us. We actually do have a lower priced sidewalk café, but unfortunately it's only open during the spring and summer months when the weather is nicer. We hope you can come back and experience it in a few months.
54-40
Reviewed November 27, 2011

We stayed here over Thanksgiving 2011. We called ahead to make sure that dogs were allowed, and got "clearance" to bring a dog that weighed over their 25lb max. We were very happy about this. However, once we got to the hotel, there were many dogs that were over 25lbs, we probably saw at least 5. Not sure why I had to get special clearance, given this, but it does not matter as we were happy.

Also called ahead to request a pull-out sofa and a rollaway bed. Also requested, by phone and email, a quiet room, on a high floor, with a wonderful view. When we checked in, we were in a tiny room, with no view, on a low floor, and no room whatsoever for a rollaway. When I called in advance of our stay, Rosie at the front desk told me that it would be no problem to accomodate both a rollaway and a pull-out sofa. So, had to call front desk a few times once we got there, spoke to Emmie, who was somewhat helpful and somewhat condescending, and we were moved to a room that was about a hair bigger. No upgrades were offered, even though I inquired about the "executive suite" advertised on the website, and the Governor's Suite (empty) next door to us. Emmie told me it would be $150 more a night to move next door to the bigger suite. I declined.

Our rate was to include both parking and a $25 dining voucher for each night. However, when I looked at our paperwork, I noticed we were being charged for parking. So, down to the front desk I went. I showed Emmie my confirmation email which clearly showed "free parking and $25 dining certificate each night". She did not seem convinced, as she said they "get a list" and that parking was not on "the list". Again, I showed her the confirmation, and she shrugged and said "OK, I guess I'll give you free parking".

Interestingly, a family moved into the Governor's Suite next door to us, the one I inquired about, and they told me that they had been upgraded for free. Go figure.

We are members of the Select Guest program which means we are supposed to receive turn-down service at night with free water. This did not happen either of the two nights. We also did not receive any housekeeping services the whole stay, despite the fact that I called about it.

Good: location, price, Rosie who I spoke to on the phone who works at the front desk, 676 Restaurant, Miriam, the doorman, who was excellent and very friendly. all housekeepers that you ran into in the halls were very friendly. bathroom was nice, but small. shampoo etc and towels all nice. bed reasonably comfy but not as nice as a Heavenly Bed or equivalents out there.

Mediocre: front desk staff, and concierge staff during our stay. hot tub was not working b/c drain did not comply with state laws. Rooms very small and dated. Lack of housekeeping. corner suite too small for a family of 4 who needs a rollaway and has a dog. We also did not receive the Omni kids backpacks, which my kids saw other kids with. Also, the doors are VERY LOUD DOORS. They can only slam. Not "soft doors". Every time a door closes in your hall, it wakes you up. Need quieter doors or more insulation. You can also hear every word people say in the halls - not a well insulated place!

perfect location though. with a facelift this place would be very very nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks Michigan Ave and the lake.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Thanks for choosing to stay with us over the Thanksgiving holidays and thank you for your review. We apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay as this clearly does not live up to the expectations we set for ourselves. It is our goal to provide every guest with a wonderful stay, and we're sorry we didn't deliver. We hope that the good parts of your stay along with the many other positive reviews might convince you to give us another chance to show you the high level of service we can provide.