“Great Stay!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“Great Stay!”
Reviewed April 15, 2007

Hotel Monaco is definitely to be recommended. It isn't cheap but what good hotel is these days? The location was perfect and the staff, especially the doormen, were really friendly and helpful. The room was spacious and very clean with a good view of the river. If you ask they give you goldfish to look after for your stay which is a really nice idea. The only minus was that the maid knocked on the door every night for a turndown service which wasn't requested and she had to be turned away. Putting the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door prevented this but it was a tad annoying. The hotel is really quiet and I would highly recommend it for anyone looking for a good hotel in Chicago.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Maid knocking on the door for an unasked for service
  • Stayed April 2007
3 Thank plymouthtraveller1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (685)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
mason36
Reviewed April 9, 2007

We had a king deluxe room for 2 nights. We reserved the room through the hotel website with AAA discount. We paid $180/nt. We enjoy boutique hotels, as they have so much more personality and personal service. This hotel was no exception. Every employee we encountered was pleasant and helpful. The room was clean, well decorated, spacious and quiet. We were offered at check-in a room with a view, but warned it was across from the elevator, so we decided to take the quiet, large room with no view. The location of the hotel was perfect for us, we saw Wicked while in Chicago and had no problem walking to the theater. We also walked the Magnificient Mile and found the location perfect (we like to walk). We had drinks at the hotel restaurant both nights which was a pleasurable experience. We ate room service for breakfast each morning, and the food was good and the portions were quite large. We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed April 2007
3 Thank mason36
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviewed April 3, 2007

We stayed at the Monaco for an all-too rare weekend of shopping and relaxing. So when I first walked in, I was a bit disappointed. The Hotel Monaco has the small rooms of an older hotel and I had hoped to stretch out in a bit more luxury. BUT, the staff and their courteous and prompt attention to detail, and the hotel's location quickly turned me around.

Yes, our room was small, but it was clean, the bedding was elegant and comfortable, the shampoo and beauty products were wonderful (after this, I'm going to find them on-line to purchase them), the robes were comfy, and the bar was well-stocked.

The Hotel Monaco is in a great location -- steps from shopping, dining, and entertainment on Michigan Avenue and State Street (it's just south of the river). We walked less than a block to dinner at McCormick and Schmick's (we LOVED it); got the bus around the corner to go to the Museum of Science and Industry and a few other places when it was raining; found a few spots nearby for a relaxing drink; and generally found the location to be as convenient as any (we typically stay at the Intercontinental, which is right on Michigan Avenue, but wanted to try something different this stay).

Then there's the staff: from the moment we walked in the door, everyone greeted us with a "hello" or "good morning" or "good night" and a smile. The concierge was helpful. The bellhop was helpful and friendly. The first time the woman behind the front desk left her spot as I walked in the lobby and beat me to the elevator to push the buttons for me (both outside the elevator and in), I was impressed; I soon came to expect that kind of simple, extra attentiveness and courtesy from every staff member there.

My husband is a very big man (6'4", 250) and so we typically like our rooms large so he doesn't feel cramped. The Hotel Monaco made up for the small rooms with its very big heart.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — our view of a parking lot
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Atoz4
Indiana
Reviewed April 1, 2007

Arrived just in time for the hospitality hour. It was a great way to start an awesome weekend. We stayed in a tall room and everything was great. No problems with anything. We walked all over from the stores in the loop to Navy Pier. Nice location. Would definitly stay here again!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — slow elevators
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 18, 2007

We love this hotel, we have stayed at The Hotel Monaco in Denver before and knew what to expect. I booked three rooms at hotels.com and was disappointed to find out that it is hard to make any requests when you do not directly book the rooms through the actual hotel (I later found out that the branch of hotels -I think it is Kimpton, will match the prices found on some online sources (not priceline.com or hotwire.com but most others)). I was happy to arrive at the hotel in Chicago and they met all of my needs at check-in without any problems. My husband and I were even upgraded to a suite for my 30th birthday. The suite was perfect, a big corner room with a living room, huge flat screen tv on the wall and a jacuzzi tub. The hotel offers complimentary starbucks coffee in the lobby in the morning and a complimentary wine and beer service in the evening. It was great! The only downfall was that as a group wanting to be together and still be upgraded, we were placed on the 4th floor which we were told was being converted to a non-smoking floor. The front desk had said that all of the rooms had been deep cleaned, are no longer used as smoking rooms and did not smell of smoke. They did smell of smoke and the bellhop said that the 4th floor was the only smoking floor and was still used as one, hence the ashtrays in all of the drawers of our room. A little disappointing but perfect otherwise.

• Liked — Great location, great room and view of the city, rooms were ready before check-in time, perfect!
  • Disliked — the smoking room was stinky, no late check-out was available, high priced parking!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank jojo3207
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 14, 2007

Being responsible with the company's money, I just couldnt pay over $400 for the regularly $229 Sofitel this trip, so tried the Monaco. I think I have a new Chicago spot! At least for trade shows...

I was worried about the neighborhood compared with the "Gold Coast" area I normally stay in, but it was convenient, safe and there were plenty of reasonable restaurants if I had the time to try them. I even took the el this trip!

I think I was in a regular room, but the ceilings seemed very high and the room was spacious. The window seats are a plus. The bed is not as plush as the Sofitel, but completely comfortable with a selection of pillow styles. Free wireless - not the ethernet connected high speed internet I expected.

The morning Starbucks/Tazo tea service is wonderful. Business kept me busy, but I did attend the wine tasting on Monday night and opted for the dark beer.

My only complaint about the hotel was some rate weirdness they pulled that was OK since the company was paying, but I would probably have cancelled completely if I was! About a month before my arrival, I cut my 4 night stay down to 3 and they raised my rate $23 per night! Makes no sense. I was well within the cancellation period. My corporate travel agent called to question, but we agreed to live with it. If my stay was not excellent I would have cancelled the next planned trip to the Monaco in October (another convention that has driven up the Sofitel rates!)

• Liked — Room design, free internet, Starbucks in morning
  • Disliked — although the room looked clean, I dropped my deoderant stick on the floor and it was covered in black dust when I picked it up!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank evening
Illinois
Reviewed March 12, 2007

I just love Hotel Monaco! I have stayed their several times. It's located in the perfect area and has a nice, urban, young feel to it. They actually gave us a "tall room" that's specifically made for tall people. Not sure why we got it, but it was delightful. The bed was extra long and the shower head was by the ceiling. Great fun!

The bedding is super comfortable and fluffy. One time I stayed there I was the SICKEST I have ever been in my life. The front desk with across the street to White Hen and got me medication and orange juice. They were so great.

The windowsills are so big, and cushioned that one could really sleep there all night long.

One time we went they had free wine tasting so we took immediate advantage of that.

All and all, a bit pricey but my favorite place to stay when I drive from the northern suburbs for an evening in the city.

Stayed July 2005