Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago
  • Pool
  • Room Service
  • Breakfast included
2,475 results
All reviewswindow seatwine hoursouth water kitchenthe rivermediterranean suitewine receptionraid the mini baranimal print robesthe loopcomplimentary wineyoga mata river view roomtrump towermillennium parkbrick walleach eveningfront desk staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 7, 2006

I just spent 3 nights at the Monaco early in June and was extremely happy with this hotel. This is a medium size hotel, not overwhelming like too many giant business hotels in Chicago. The design is really nice and my room was quite large and comfortable. Bed was perfect, bathroom was OK, free Internet access very convenient, the big plus in my opinion was the large window with an alcove that provides prime views of the river. Spent hours there watching the activity on the street and the buildings around. Downtown location was convenient, not too far from multiple shopping destinations and from the new Millenium park (outstanding!). I wasn't blown away by the service but it was fine overall. All in all, I found this hotel a great value for the location, design and comfort. Will certainly go back.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
10  Thank netme75
Reviewed May 29, 2006

I am usually one to agree with the masses and typically agree with fellow raters on TripAdvisor...but I can't agree on this one. I will preface this by saying it is possible that it is just due to the holiday weekend and the hotel being booked full, but we will not give it another chance to see.

Arrival: Doorman literally just looked at us coming in with our luggage (we had to walk from down the street due to the parade). There was no offer to try and get the door or to even help us with the luggage. I thought that was a litte strange, but okay, whatever.

Check-in: Perky girl at the front starts checking me in and then says "oh, no...what do I do?" Sorry, can't help you there! The young man next to her tells her our room is not ready and we can preregister. My husband and I were not upset at all that the room was not ready because we were there several hours before check-in. However, this young man looks at us and tells us "we can't just kick them out you know!" NOW I'm getting a little nervous that this is going to be the hotel from....but, we laughed and said that we understood and they said they will call us when the room is ready. We left, ate, walked the entire Mag Mile, sat at the Vet Memorial..la di dah...no calls...finally, at check-in time I ask a less perky girl if the room might be ready. She says "no". I mean, nothing else so I said well do you have an estimate? She said no, its hard to tell. I could go on, but lets just say that we finally were helped by an older gentlemen who was WONDERFUL. He called housekeeping got our room ready and we were in only an HOUR after check-in time.

Room: Next time I won't ask about the room and maybe they will actually clean it. There was a mess left from the previous guest(s). Wrappers, plastic tags and lots of hair in the bathroom. UGH. To think we paid $309 for a Med Suite and actually had to inspect the sheets to see if they were cleaned. The couch had 'stains' (I won't go there) and the floor had lots of little puddle stains. I know they are pet friendly, but this seemed a little much. The shower was extremely small and you had to do some strange maneuvering with the bathroom door to get to it and the toilet. However, we did enjoy their bathroom amenities and their cute minibar offerings. Nice view of the Chicago River, State Street and Wabash.

Restaurant: South Water Kitchen was actually pretty good. We ate twice in the restaurant and once as room service. It was pretty basic fare but it was all very good.

Location: we liked where the Hotel Monaco is located. It was an easy walk to the Mag Mile, theater district, pretty much anywhere we wanted to go. The only thing I would suggest is if you are going to Chicago strictly to shop then the location may be out of the way. I can't imagine having a lot of shopping bags and not being able to drop them off occasionally. If shopping is your passion I would suggest staying on Michigan Ave somewhere such as the Intercontinental.

In summary, I did not hate the Hotel Monaco. I think their front desk personnel needs training in basic customer service skills and their housekeepers (at least the ones on the third floor) could use some retraining. However, it was a whimsical hotel with cute touches and does offer a complimentary wine reception in the evening.

• Stayed: May 2006
16  Thank snwarf01
Reviewed May 27, 2006

Stayed in the Monaco for Memorial day weeekend with our 2 kids (ages 4 AND 11). Loved the location, the decor and the goldfish! The complimentary evening wine reception and morning Starbucks and chocolates or sweets at turn down were great! It was nice to see pets in the hotel too. It is clean and beautiful and wonderful decor! We had a whirlpool suite (room 405 for $289 per night internet deal) which encompassed 2 large rooms plus bath included a living room with tv in armoir (and minibar and honor bar), desk with phone and lamp, stone coffee table, 2 comfy armchairs and a hide-a-bed sofa adjoining a HUGE master suite with tv in armoir, huge meditation window seats, queen size bed with feather duvets, large paisley arm chair & ottoman, & phone. Bath has HUGE DEEP whirlpool tub AND shower and concrete sink - COOL - with granite top. Our room was next to ice machine which was convenient and hidden so not noisy. Nice Aveda bath products in bath... wonderful.
The negatives were few but will mention - $7 lovely brightly tissue covered bath balls next to tub beckoned children to throw them in at parents' chagrin! Overpriced honor bar with cute little stuffed toys, pringles, and candy and such that could not be moved out of kids eyeshot and reach (attached to armoir just under TV) - to parents' chagrin! We were put into a smoking room when asked for non-smoking - in hotel's defense, we did not mention and did not ask for room change and only asked upon departure whether it was smoking or not (it was smoking) and there was a mix up for which they apologized profusely. Also, wallpaper torn where chair rubbed it in livingroom - no big deal but looks shabby. they need to repair and get chair rail. The room service took way too long, cost way too much and was mediocre. The delivery guy complained that the hotel took 1/2 of his tips and held out his hand for more (on top of the 18% already charged to the bill)! The parking was high $36 per night - oh well... it's Chicago and probably not unreasonable for the area. The huge plusses besides the ones already mentioned, the staff was great! The restaurant was nice with outdoor seating area too, better than room service. The concierge was very helpful. My son puked in the night and the housekeeping staff was really helpful with extra linens and no complaints (how do they do it???) Overall, I'd have to say great stay.

Stayed: May 2006
6  Thank JuliePetulie
Reviewed May 23, 2006

We stayed at the Monaco for four days the middle of May. We had never stayed in a Klimpton hotel but booked the Monaco based on customer reviews. We were pleased with our decision. From the doorman to the desk clerk to the bellman all were friendly and helpful. There was a real effort to make guests feel welcome. Our room was first class. The bed was very comfortable as were the the linens. The closet was bigger than most hotels. The bathroom was clean and the towels thick. We both liked the shower and never had a problem with hot water running out. The television had an adequate number of channels and had good reception. We were on the fifth floor above Wabash but had no problem with street noise. I would have preferred an in-room coffee maker but there was Starbucks coffee in the lobby every morning. A selection of newspapers in the lobby included the Chicago Tribune, the Wall Street Journal and the Financial Times. USA Today was at your door in the morning. The location of the Monaco is a plus, It's one block off Michigan and a short walk across the river to the Magnificent Mile. We will look for a Klimpton property on future trips and the Monaco when we make it back to Chicago

• Stayed: May 2006
4  Thank oldcpa
Reviewed May 19, 2006

My husband and I stayed in one of the "Mediterranean Suites" and it was lovely! Not overly swank, but comfortable, with a pretty decor and two unbeatable features--a great two-person jacuzzi and deep, wide, curtained-off window seats where you could sit and read or look out at the river. You really can't find that anyplace else in Chicago for the price. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2005