“Wonderful Weekend”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago
Ranked #17 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Just returned from a 3-day weekend in Chicago with my daughter. Hotel Monaco is one of the nicest properties we have stayed in. Our room was spacious and comfortable with two lovely window seats overlooking the center of the city. One view faced the Willis Tower, the other the river. Lovely.
The service was impeccable and friendly. The room was very clean and housekeeping very responsive to every request. The doorman was so nice and found us taxis instantly. The wine hour each evening is a special treat! Truly a home away from home in a large city!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Ina K,

Thank you for leaving us a nice review on Tripadvisor. Glad to hear about your 3-day weekend trip with your daughter. I hope that you got to really enjoy the city of Chicago while here and made some great memories.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

I just finished my third stay at the Monaco. My partner and I always ask for a water view - that's a view of the river. Our rooms always have a window seat, the perfect place to curl up in the afternoon and watch the people cross the bridge and the lights turn on. Located on Wabash at Wacker, it is a wonderful start to the Michigan Ave. Miracle Mile or to Millennium Park. Staff helpful. Lobby a bit tired, but all in all, a great value.

Room Tip: Ask for upper floor with river view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

IsSF2020,

Thank you for taking the time and leaving us a review on tripadvisor. Our location is definitely a big plus in Chicago as we're steps from so many different areas of interest. I'm sorry to hear that you felt our lobby is a bit tired, we did complete a full lobby renovation in February and everything is brand new, from the carpet to the front desk counter and all of the furniture.

We look forward to having you stay with us again!

Marco

Reviewed November 9, 2013

I have to say I am at a Kimpton between 8 and 10 times a year and probably only the second time I wasn't in love with the property. This was my first stay at he Monaco, and I was kind of disappointed. The decor seem disconnected, and frankly a little weird. The location is what brought me there but being put on a low floor I had a view of a wall. Front of the hotel is so busy I couldn't wait for the valet and ended up just self parking a block away. Check in was slow, and our rooms weren't ready at 5pm. I get it there was a convention in town (as always) but maybe designated a separate check in for room blocks… In all it was fine fro a night if you need to be with walking of something in that part of town, but the Palomar just over the river is a much nicer property (when available).

Room Tip: High floor facing the river.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

V'nes,

I'm so sorry to hear about your stay. We do have a doorman that handles all of the vehicles in front of the hotel and I'm sorry that you self parked a block away. Being a hotel in a major city without a dedicated driveway, does make things slightly more hectic with the curbside service we provide. We do have several different room types that are available to you at the time of reservation. Some of our standard king deluxe rooms do not have the view that the "Riverview" rooms have.

I can understand how checking in at 5pm can appear a little hectic, as we begin our nightly manager hosted wine reception at that time in the lobby and there are a lot of our guests mingling.

I do hope you get to give us another try.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

The way the staff behave is the best indicator of a hotels quality and the management of the Monaco have done a great job ensuring this is the case. From the moment we checked in to the closing of the taxi door as we left for the airport the staff at the Monaco were excellent. A special thank you should go to the reception where the staff were intelligent, smiling and helpful, characteristics which should be commonplace in the hospitality business but rarely are.
The location, style, cleanliness and room size were all outstanding. If you want to enjoy a hotel that is on a human scale and one that will help make your stay in Chicago memorable, then the Monaco will not disappoint.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Graham,

Thank you so much for the nice tripadvisor review! I'm so happy to see that our all star staff took great care of you from the moment you arrived through your departure! We are very lucky to have such a great seasoned staff.

We're looking forward to your next visit!!

Reviewed November 9, 2013

This has become a good old standby for me, which is funny because it once was the hip new thing. Just a shade tired but great staff, nice rooms and very convenient location. Miss the house dog; that really set Monacos apart. Overall a great value but not a can't miss it sort of thing.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Oibboy,

Thank you for the review and I'm sorry to hear about our house dog. That was several years ago that we had the dog. I've considered bringing in my dog, but the hotel is just too busy for us to have a dog in the lobby. I do bring him to work once in a while as we are a very pet friendly hotel.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

My husband and I honeymooned in Chicago ten years ago and stayed at the Hotel Monaco and LOVED it. Perfect location, great service, fun and luxurious. We became instant Kimpton members and stay in one whenever we've had the chance. My husband had a surprise ten year trip planned that got axed because I was diagnosed with cancer. We were heartbroken in so many ways. He promised me our trip was merely postponed, not cancelled. It turned out he had a work event in Chicago in September and we coordinated a two-night stay at our honeymoon hotel. I even got permission from my doctors to take a week off from chemo so I could go. The staff made our time there nothing short of magic. We could not and cannot thank them enough for the incomparable service and care they gave us. We are forever grateful for the memories--with many more we hope to come. They went above and beyond and it brought us both to tears. That is something you just can't buy and so etching I've never had from any other hotel. Hotel Monaco is top notch.

Room Tip: Most rooms have a river view from the window seats but definitely make sure to request one!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Audrey P

Audrey,

Congratulations on your 10 year anniversary! That's something to be very proud of and I'm glad that we got to be part of your celebration as you have definitely been through a lot. Our staff has such a huge heart and they enjoy becoming friends with our guests. I wish you both the very best and hope you get to visit us again!

Reviewed November 6, 2013

I recently spent a night at Hotel Monaco to start a cross country Route 66 road trip. It was the perfect pick in Chicago. The location was perfect right near the parks, museums and the Magnificent Mile. Also just a few blocks from the start of Route 66. From here it was easy to walk for food, attractions and groceries for the road.

We were checked in by Emil, who was truly charming. He gave us lots of area information and reminded us of the hotels morning coffee service and evening wine tastings. Then gave us fabulous news that we were upgraded to a Mediterranean Suite. The room was impeccable. Both a lot of style and a lot of function. It was a 1 bedroom suite with a Jaccuzzi tub, comfortable bed, and plenty of tv's. My favorite thing about the room was what I can only describe as bay windows overlooking the city, all huge and cushioned with plenty of throw pillows. I enjoyed laying in the windows with my husband watching the world go by. After going our exploring, we returned to find a bottle of wine and a letter from the staff wishing us luck on our Route 66 journey. A really nice touch. The hotel offers a number of great services, many of which we did not have time to take advantage of. They can give you a companion gold fish for your room and are pet friendly. They offer complimentary yoga mats and newspapers. Internet is free for InTouch members which just requires filling out a form for 30 seconds. They also have a fitness center, business center and provide in room spa services. The lobby area with a large burning fire and jewel tone furniture is very warm and enjoyable to hang out in. The only thing I didn't like was the cost for parking. It was more than $55 for the overnight. That is more expensive than some of the motel rooms we stayed in along Route 66. Being from NY, I am used to paying high rates for downtown city parking, but still found this ridiculous here.

This was my second time staying at a Kimpton Hotel in the last year and a half and both experiences were fantastic. I often recommend them to my travel clients and am so happy we picked Hotel Monaco for our night in Chicago. Thank you Emil for taking such great care of us.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RobynPringTravel
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

RobynPring,

Thank you so much for taking the time and completing a nice review of your stay. We are very lucky to have great staff members like Emil in the hotel. The cost of parking in Chicago went up this summer due to new taxes that were imposed. The $56 rate is high in comparison to other cities, but its on the lower end in comparison to the hotels in downtown Chicago. It does offer in and out privileges which helps. Due to our location, we always recommend leaving the car at home and using the vast public transportation that is nearby. Also, Chicago just got ranked #6 best pedestrian city in the country and we even offer complimentary bike rentals to our guests. Lots of options for you to avoid paying the parking fees.

Thank you again and I look forward to having you stay with us again.