“Exceptional Customer Service”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Katy, Texas
“Exceptional Customer Service”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

The Hotel Monaco - Chicago is a beautiful hotel in a great part of town. Easy access to the train, Michigan Avenue, shopping, dining, navy pier, parks etc. We had an upper floor room with a view of the river which was amazing. The room was clean and nicely decorated. All of the staff, from the doormen to housekeeping to front desk were pleasant and helpful. We ate breakfast and evening appetizers in the South Water Kitchen and both were great. But the best thing about this hotel was the concierge service. Not only did Ryan make tour and dinner reservations for us with tickets waiting at check in, he knew from a previous stay at a DIFFERENT Kimpton hotel in Seattle that I like coconut, so he had coconut cupcakes sent to our room upon arrival. Now that's customer service!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
PamE80,

I'm so happy to see that you got to interact with our concierge team! They are definitely amazing at what they do, and their vast knowledge of Chicago is impressive. I always recommend for our guests to book the riverview rooms, so that they can get a nice view of the Chicago River and the window seats.

We look forward to your next stay with us!

Marco Scherer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (695)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed September 29, 2013

First, the good. I was really impressed by the cleanliness of my room. Honestly, I travel a lot and have never seen such a clean room! The amenties were really nice - the robe, umbrella, yoga mat, mini fridge that had room in it, the stereo, wine hour in the lobby, the high quality sheets, etc...

The location can't be beat. It's right in the middle of all the fun hub bub of the Loop and River North areas. So many excellent restaurants within walking distance, and after my night at the theater, it was a quick 5 minute walk back home. Being in a crowded area, I always felt very safe.

Now, the not so good. I arrived at 1.30, hoping for an early check in which I told was not possible. Understandable, so I checked my bag in with a very friendly bag checker. I was told I would be called when my room was ready. I wasn't. I ended up coming back at almost 4 pm and asked if my room was ready. I was told it was. When I mentioned that I hadn't received the call I was promised, I got an "Oops, sorry."

I was also disappointed that I didn't have a window seat in my room! My view looked out at a construction site, which wasn't great, but I get it. Not every room has a view. But I was really looking forward to that window seat... :(

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Ooblek
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Ooblek,

Thank you for taking the time and leaving us a review. I'm so sorry to hear about your room not being ready and how we didn't call you. I have addressed this with our front office team to ensure that we are delivering as promised!

We do offer rooms with river view, which you can book at the time of booking. It's an upgraded category, but it does offer better views and the cool window seats.

Reading, PA
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 3,798 helpful votes
Reviewed September 28, 2013

My husband has a conference in Chicago every year at the same time. Even though the conference is not at this hotel, we always stay here because we LOVED it so much. This time we were very disappointed.

For starters, we are Kimpton "In Touch" members. We arrived at the hotel at 10 a.m. and even though we had asked for an early arrival, no room was available. We returned at 1:30 p.m. and there was still no room. We were also given a "mini-lecture" about the check-in time being 3 p.m. So, we left and returned at 3:10 p.m. asking for our room. We were greeted with an abrupt "were you called?" (on our cell phone to advise us our room was available.) We said no we had not been called but we checked in at 10 a.m. and came back at 1:30 p.m. and it was now past the stated check-in time of 3 p.m.. Finally, we were assigned a room - which was about 10 feet from a very noisy construction site next door (construction started at 4 a.m., and continued until 5 p.m. daily) in spite of the fact we had requested a quiet room.

We had to leave our luggage with the porter while we waited for a room. When we got our luggage, the porter ripped the identifying tags off the luggaage handles. When we got to our room, I noticed the handles of the luggage had been damaged by the sticky substance used on the luggage tags. Both pieces of our luggage were new carry on bags that had no damage. I was very upset that pieces of the plastic handles had been ripped off by these sticky luggage tags. My husband said there was no point mentioning it to anyone since it would be hard to prove the damage had been done by the Monaco's sticky luggage tags.

The room was fine. However, the room price increased more than $100 per night from the previous year. I can understand a yearly increase in the price of the room, but that seemed excessive. They remodeled the lobby. I guess that is what the increase covered, however, that remodel was not an improvement over the previous lobby, in my opinion.

The bath products changed since the previous year. They always had very nice shampoo and soaps. This year it was impossible to get the soap to make suds when you used it. The shampoo was awful. It left a plastic like feel to my hair and it was impossible to make foam while using the product. I have washed my hair twice since I returned home and still have not been able to get rid of that feeling on my hair. I used the hair conditioner and I thought I mistakenly put the body lotion on my hair. The shampoo, soap and hair conditioner are very odd products and do not do the job they are supposed to do.

As an "In Touch" member you are allowed to "raid the mini bar" for $10 worth of snacks. We took two $5 bags of chips. When we got our bill, we were charged $10 for those items and we had to stand in line at check out to have these items removed from our bill. We never had this problem on previous stays.

Things change and in this case - not for the better. It is really disappointing because we loved this hotel.

Room Tip: While construction is going on next door, ask for a room facing north or east.
Green Features: They ask you to keep your linens. I always think that is just a money saving device for the hotels. I know of nothing else.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank luvroma2
Luvroma2,

Thank you for taking the time and leaving a comprehensive review. I am so sorry to hear about the several challenges you've encountered. We will be contacting you to speak about your stay.

We did change out our bathroom amenity from Aveda to the new C.O. Bigelow, which is a selected product in which most of the Kimpton Hotels have started to use. I understand how some people may have specific preferences, which is why we will carry Aveda upon request. Just let us know, and we will bring you some Aveda shampoo & hair conditioner.

Our prices do fluctuate based on the seasonality of Chicago and other variables. I do urge that rooms booked well in advance will always get the best deal.

I hope you give us another chance to show what we are truly about!

Urbana, Illinois
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We spent a lot more time in the room than we intended to because the window seat (almost the size of a full sized bed, with comfy throw pillows, and overlooking the river) was so cool. Wonderful location, very walkable neighborhood with lots to see and do. It's a splurge, but worth it.

Room Tip: River view!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Susan,

I'm so happy to hear about your stay and how much use you got out of the window seats!! We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

I cannot say enough great things about this hotel. Our river view suite had an amazing view from the 4 window seats. Woke up st in the window and read the WSJ. From the helpful staff down to the beautiful textiles this hotel is a must stay. Well worth it.. This is a great hotel to treat yourself. I have always had wonderful stays with this modern yet service oriented chain of boutiq hotels. I grabbed one of the zebra print both robes. Puuuurrrrrfect

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Rachael K,

How great is it to be sitting in one of the 4 window seats inside that river view suite and reading the paper? I'm glad you got to enjoy your stay with us again and want to thank you for your loyalty!

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We've stayed here twice and both times the experience was first class all the way. Rooms are comfortable and attractively furnished, staff is very professional, and the WiFi is fast and reliable. Best of all, the beds are the most comfortable we've experienced anywhere. We've stayed at other hotels in this chain (Kimpton) and have yet to be disappointed; even joined their customer loyalty program.

Green Features: We really appreciate the recycling bins in the room. We recycle at home and always hate having to thrown recyclables in with the trash at other hotels.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thedogesl,

Thank you for taking the time and completing the online review. I'm happy to see that your second stay with us was just as good as the initial one! Thank you for being loyal Kimpton members and we look forward to your future stay!

Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Had never stayed at this hotel -- attended for a conference. Everything was excellent, from the greet by the door-person to the front desk to the room to the conference space to the food. Every interaction with the staff was pleasant, and every amenity was well-done. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Bruce M,

Thank you for taking the time and leaving us a review! Happy to hear that you had some nice interactions with our staff!! We look forward to your next visit.