“Nice Hotel, Good Location”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago
Ranked #17 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Munster, IN, USA
“Nice Hotel, Good Location”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed on a Friday night September 20 room 1414. Checked in late.
The hotel is decorated nicely with modern décor.
It is located right on Wacker and a short walk to Michigan Avenue.
We had a river view room which was nice.
Staff was friendly.
The common areas were clean and well maintained.

A couple of items that were not great, but not overwhelming that I would not stay again.
They only have two elevators. They can be very slow. We were on the top floor (14) and if I was in a hurry this could be an issue.
When we checked in at 11:30 p.m. the room we were given had used soap in both the shower and sink dish. Also, two towels were hanging that had been used. The room was clean, but someone clearly checked out early and the maid service thought they were remaining in the room and cleaned it as such. I told the individual at the front desk the next morning and he simply said that he would let housekeeping know. I guess I would have expected a little more concern on the hotel's part.
That is the reason for the poor rating on cleanliness.

Room Tip: Get a river view room. Stay on a middle floor so your elevator wait is not as long.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joe_Munster
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Joe_Munster,

Thank you for leaving us a tripadvisor review and I'm so sorry to hear about the used items you encountered in the room. That is definitely not up to our standard and I'm already taking steps with our housekeeping team to see as to how this happened. This was definitely an isolated incident and it should not have happened. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention and I hope you get to try us out again.

Marco Scherer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (694)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
east coast
Reviewed September 22, 2013

This was the perfect place to stay in Chicago. The location is wonderful and the staff was so friendly and accommodating! My room was lovely and very comfortable. I felt very at home at the Hotel Monaco and recommend it highly to anyone traveling to Chicago. Don't miss it!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank RyanFamily123
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
RyanFamily123,

Thank you for leaving us a nice review!! I'm so happy to hear that you recommend us to anyone traveling into Chicago!!

Oklahoma
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I really want to rate this hotel somewhere between average and very good.

The staff were very friendly and welcoming; the service is good. It isn't exceptional, though. It's exactly what I expect at a hotel like this. The exception is the cute origami towel art and note left in the room by the cleaning staff on the evening of our first stay. That was a very unique and personal touch.

The location IS exceptional. It's close to almost anything you'd want to walk to like the Art Institute, shops on Michigan Avenue and the Merchandise Mart. Dining options in the area are plentiful. The views of the river and city from the rooms are amazing!

The hotel decor is colorful, cozy and stylish. It isn't luxurious. The window seats available in some of the rooms are totally charming, though. A very cool feature!

Now for my pet peeve, and one of the major reasons this hotel gets 3.75 stars instead of a solid 4: there are no coffee makers in the room!!! Seriously?!? I know, I know. They have that cute little complimentary coffee bar downstairs in the lobby in the morning. I just don't want to be forced to dress myself, brush my teeth and potentially converse with strangers BEFORE my first cup of coffee in the morning. Period.This was absolutely, UNBELIEVABLY irritating to me. Grrrrr! Seriously. Stash a Keurig in the minibar, leave me two K-Cups and charge me an extra $15 a night! I'll be a happy guest, and you'll make your money back on that Keurig and then some in no time!

Overall, we liked this hotel and wouldn't mind staying here again. We also wouldn't mind seeing what else is out there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window seat
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Sterry4,

Thank you for taking the time and completing a review on Tripadvisor. Please know that we do have signs in the rooms that indicate coffee makers are available upon request. We offer some nice Keurig coffee and tea makers for the room. We found that a majority of our guests preferred the self service Starbucks coffee in the lobby versus brewing their own. By removing them from the room, it allowed for a more counter space. There are quite a few amenities that we offer upon request including turn down service, a gold fish companion, and even children's robe!

I'm happy to see that you got to experience our great location and proximity to Michigan Ave.

I hope you try us out again!!

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Can't say enough about this hotel. The staff was great. We arrived at 11am the morning of check in and had expected to just drop our bags off for storage and come back after 3pm to get our room, but the front desk staff was great and since the type of rooom we reserved was available they let us check in early. The conceirge was very knowledgable. The doorman were always very helpful with bags or getting a cab.

The river view suites are great. Big bay windows to sit in and watch the river traffic and big jacuzzi tub. The bar downstairs was great for a first drink or happy hour. Great selection of old-fashioned cocktails and regional microbrews.

The location was perfect...just blocks away from Michigan Ave shopping, the art institute, and River North area. Like I said, there wasn't much this hotel didn't offer. Will certainly stay at this hotel again when I return to Chicago.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
David,

I'm so happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us from the second you walked in. We are very lucky to have such a talented and friendly staff!!

We look forward to having you stay with us again!

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I had the opportunity to spend about 16 days in the Hotel Monaco in downtown Chicago. Its my favorite place to spend an extended visit in Chicago. The location is exceptional but its the Staff that keeps me coming back for more. The way I was welcomed each and every morning and afternoon made me feel like I was at home. A warm Good Morning Greeting early every day and a Big Smile and How are you on the return each afternoon. The room was very comfortable with a very nice bed and linen with a well thought out desk with plenty of power connections and good WiFi connection. But again, its the people that make the hotel so comfortable and in my eyes so successful. The front desk staff - Ericka, Foster, Dana and Kim are super professional and friendly; always willing to help with information and ensuring the guest are having a great stay. Peter and Jorge at the front door set the tone for the stay with big smiles and a Welcome as soon as you pull up to the front to check in and return every day. In the Southwater Kitchen, the servers like Paul make the meal enjoyable and offer great guidance for a change up to the daily breakfast routines.

Room Tip: The Southside of the hotel has some construction going on so perhaps there is a bit of noise on that...
Green Features: I like the ability to control when the bed linens are replaced as well as the bath towels.
Paul,

Thank you for having stayed with us for such a long time. I'm so glad to see that you had a great stay and we became like family. We are so very lucky to have a cast of amazing stars working in the building. I'll make sure to share your comments with every one of them as they take such great pride in what they do.

Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I was in Chicago to attend a corporate event hosted at the Hotel Monaco. From the minute I walked in the door the staff was very accommodating, helping me find local eateries and get acclimated to the hotel. Few hotels understand what good customer service is. This hotel is different. The people who work there are concerned with guest satisfaction and it shows.

Room Tip: The hotel is near the train tracks. Not their fault but you might ask if there is a quieter room.
Paul H.,

Thank you for leaving us a great review on tripadvisor. I'm happy to see that you had a great stay with us and we look forward to your return!

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I always try to stay in a Kimpton Hotel when I travel because of their unique surroundings and attention to guest detail. This was my first stay at the Hotel Monaco and it lived up to my expectations. It sits in the perfect locaion for walking to the Michigan Ave Shops and Restaurants and also to the downtown stores and theaters. I took my daughter with me and she stated that it was one of the coolest hotels that she had ever stayed in. Every area of the hotel is very clean and decorated so nice. I asked when I checked in if I could could get a room with two beds and I was told "no problem". They upgraded me to a large room for no extra charge. The 5 o'clock complementary wine reception is such a lovely touch as was the morning coffee. They also stored our luggage for us until we left in the evening. I will definately stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Laurayar,

Thank you for trying us out and leaving a nice review on Tripadvisor! We love to hear that we are "one of the coolest hotels" that your daughter has stayed in!!