“Excellent Location in Downtown. Chicago”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago
Ranked #17 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Hotel Monaco was the host hotel for a conference that I attended. Due to weather, I arrived in town 13 hours later than expected. I called the hotel ahead to advise them that I'd be checking in very late. Upon arrival, I was given a complimentary upgrade to a river view room! The room was perfect, the picture window with almost a full size mattress on it was ideal for catching a nice view of the river & downtown. The complimentary in room umbrella was a nice touch since I had forgotten to pack one. Complimentary coffee, tea and water were available in the morning and the wine hour from 5-6 pm was nice after sitting in a class all day long! The location was ideal, as it is an easy one block walk to Michigan Avenue as well as several stores up on State Street. I would love to stay here again.

1  Thank OCPanthers
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

OCPanthers,
Sounds like a very awesome experience with us! Thats fantastic! I'm glad you enjoyed the wine hour- did you try any of our summer sangria? Oh wow it's delicious!
Thanks for the great share- we look forward to having you back.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We arrived very late having had a train ride from hell due to the weather. Great reception from front desk....gave us a lovely room 9th floor overlooking the river. two queen beds large bathroom and it was just great! We were given complimentary breakfasts and an explanation of the daily wine tasting session which takes place in the foyer also complimentary!! Such helpful concierge...I asked about transfers to the airport...he explained that a taxi ride would cost "a lot" the airport shuttle $29 and takes hours or for $2;25 a train ride on the blue line from a couple of blocks away that takes you right into the airport!!! Great news especially when Macys is across the road well practically....The hotel is also so well situated with Michigan Ave around the corner and Chicago is such a walkable city. Spent the afternoon down at Navy Pier and a boat ride on the river too. This was our 3rd visit and the Monaco helped make it a truly memorable one!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Gudtripper12,
So glad you loved the River View Queen room with two queen beds and the nice view over the river. You are right too- Chicago is such a walking city and so much is right near us. Thanks for being a great and loyal guest.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We visited Chicago for a four-day mini-vacation, and booked the Tranquility Suite at the Hotel Monaco. The suite is gorgeous - it is decorated in a style that weds 1930's glamour to a touch of whimsy. Based on other reviews, I was expecting that the suite would include an upholstered window seat - actually, there are three! The suite is on a corner, and each window seat looks out on a different stunning view of the river and the city. The hotel itself is walking distance from great shops and restaurants, and a very easy walk from the Art Institute and Millennium Park. The staff members are all very friendly and helpful, from the housekeeper who left us a hand towel folded into a charming little elephant to the doorman who never failed to greet us with a smile. We can't wait to return!

Room Tip: The Tranquility Suite is worth every penny.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DodoChapelHill

Dodo from Chapel Hill,
Thanks for sharing- Tranquility Suite has had some great upgrades recently and thats kept it unique and like you said- whimsical. I'm glad you agree! I'm so glad you got to spend three nights with us and enjoy everything from our genuinely caring and welcoming service to our most unique suite we have!
Cheers,

Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

We are currently staying at Hotel Monaco for our Honeymoon from the UK and to be honest have found it quite underwhelming. I emailed ahead as did my travel agent saying it was out honeymoon and could we have a nice room overlooking the river we have heard about. At check in the person said 'sorry we are full' and that's all they could do. So they obviously havnt read our emails. We stayed at another hotel during out trip and they couldn't do enough, champagne and chocolate in the room, a card saying happy honeymoon, just a nice touch. Nothing from Hotel Monaco. Don't gets wrong, I wasn't expecting much but at least a nice room as I asked. We are on the third floor overlooking a bar accoss the road, meaning if I sit in this window seat I look like I'm in a shop window. I'm really
disappointed.

2  Thank Kate H
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Kate H-
I'm hoping your honeymoon has turned out much more exciting and I'm sorry we let you down. We did have a sell out of people that booked the River View rooms and suites which can make it difficult to honor all requests unless they've been actually booked as that room type- I'm sorry about that. Did you get our amenity we sent up?
Congratulations on your marriage celebration, and enjoy the rest of your trip!

Reviewed June 27, 2013

I couldn't be more pleased with the experience at the Hotel Monaco in Chicago.Only three blocks from the CTA from the airport, easy walking to the river, the Magnificent Mile, Millennium Park, Art Institute of Chicago, the Philharmonic, theatres and great restaurants. The stylish spacious room with a high window seat overlooking some of Chicago's amazing buildings, had very comfortable beds, high ceiling, and a huge bathroom. And so quiet .... The staff were extremely attentive ... this hotel is an excellent choice for location, comfort and style.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Jean B-
What a stellar five star review! We're thrilled your experience with us was exemplarary! Those window seat upgrades are amazing, as is the location. Next time your with us, ask about the bicycles we rent out- it makes for a fantastic way to see the lake front!

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Where do I start? Location? Aces. Decor? Lovely quirky Kimpton. Perfectly framed view of Mies van der Rohe's last building in Chicago in a supremely amazing window niche stuffed with comfy pads and pillows? Check. We booked a suite and a double queen and they put us in connecting rooms, which created a magnificent apartment-like space. The staff was very accommodating and responsive to our many requests for extras. For those who enjoy and expect a Kimpton experience, this hotel definitely meets or exceeds those standards. So much more stylish and homey than most hotels. With a group of six very discriminating design-oriented and demanding women, you'd think it would be hard to please everyone. Not at this hotel. Though it's right in the thick of things and half a block from the El, it's very quiet and conducive to good sleep, which you will need if you're partaking of the many things Chicago has to offer.

Room Tip: Look into the suites. They give you a lot more room to hang out in if you have a group or are stayin...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sara B
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2013

Sara B,
Wow! What a fabulous experience you had with us and a great five star review! Sara, thank you! We love to hear comments like these! We are all glad to hear that you and your companions really enjoyed Chicago and the Monaco!
Cheers,

Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

I've booked this hotel over 6 months ago, and during this time, despite the good reviews, I kept thinking if I should change the hotel or keep the reservation. I may say without a doubt I'm glad I decided to stay there, even though when we arrived late at night, the hotel was overbooked and they sent us to Palomar Hotel. When we rerturned the next morning, they gave us a huge corner suite, with separate living room and jacuzzi. Besides that, there was a lovely cake made of towels, qith a "happy anniversary" card, and then they sent to our room a bottle of champagne and strawberries. We spent a great time in this hotel, that has an amazing localization, very comfortable bed, and an attentive and corteous staff. I do definetely recomend, and look forward to coming back.

1  Thank patmart

Patmart,
I am thrilled to hear in the end we could help you enjoy your anniversary despite a bit of a frustration in the beginning. You got to visit two of our four beautiful Kimpton Hotels in Chicago! I am glad you both got the genuine enjoyment out of the suite and the towel cake, and more!
Cheers and Happy Anniversary!