“Hotel Monaco - Good Hotel”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago
Ranked #20 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
“Hotel Monaco - Good Hotel”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hotel Monaco while on a business trip. The experience was pretty much what I expected it to be.

The room was very nice, the bed was very comfortable, the staff was attentive. I also stayed in one of the river view rooms, but had more of a view of the offices across the street from my room.

If you need anything while you are there, the staff is very attentive and will respond quickly.

The only two 'negatives' I had while there were:

1. If you are the type of person like me who figures as long as you are not calling the front desk for something, they will figure you are happy, the hotel does call you quite often. I was called after I checked in to make sure the room was OK. I was called after a room service meal to make sure it was OK. I am guessing they do these phone calls as they have discovered people like that extra step in customer service. If you don't like calls, do what I did, and just take the phone off the hook.

2. I ordered breakfast one day to be brought to my room. They were hot and looked great, but they had an off taste. It almost tasted like fish. I thought it was just me and didn't complain or anything. After I got back home, I did read some older reviews of this hotel where people said the same thing. So just be aware.

All in all, I did like the hotel and wouldn't discourage people from staying here. Again, if you need help they are great.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Michael W,
It's great to hear that whenever you need anything, we were there and on top of it. I'm sorry though that we called too much- I can understand if you would prefer to not be disturbed. Thanks for understanding though- the heart is in the right place.
Thanks for sharing your feedback, and let me know when you return, I can help make up for that breakast.
Ryan Parker,
Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (691)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed June 6, 2013

My other half wanted to save money on our Chicago trip, but I love Kimpton Hotels and the Monaco in Seattle is great. We splurged and are so glad we did! The location was perfect for our long weekend and allowed us to do so many things in a short time. While the front desk staff could be somewhat aloof, they were helpful and even moved our room when we asked for one with the bay windows. Wow, what a wonderful experience. We bought a bottle of wine down the street and took up residence people watching on a Saturday night. It was fantastic, and the bed was amazingly comfy. They also have a great morning running program that lets you see the city from a new perspective, and the evening wine hour allowed us to meet some fun fellow guests. Love me some Kimpton!

Room Tip: Get a room with a bay window! You won't want to leave.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
KathyKitty,
I'm grateful to hear that your experience at one of our sister hotels out in Seattle encouraged you to book with us! I'm glad to hear you found the team helpful and the window seat upgrades to be a lovely experience. And thanks for the mention of our running program- it's really fun!
Detroit
Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

A high school BFF and I stayed here one night over Memorial Day weekend, & we had such a glorious, memorable time. It was perfect, and the Monaco was a main reason for such an enjoyable stay in the city! Our room; 1207, was directly across the elevator (but no sound from them!), and we had a spectacular view of the Chicago River from our cushy, clean & chic window seat-large enough to seat 2 comfortably. We talked for hours there, overlooking the beautiful city. The wine hour was vibrant and top notch as always, & when we missed coffee hour, the front desk sent up Keurig coffee for us! How thoughtful! Our bellman, Mike, even pointed out the emergency exits when we checked in; another very thoughtful & caring touch. Our price was outstanding with the "Renew" program via Kimpton Intouch. My hubs an I usually stay at the Palomar (love the pool!), but I hope to bring him to the Monaco someday soon! I adored every minute! Thank you!

• Stayed May 2013
AandJTravelers1,
Great to hear you had a perfect stay and enjoyed some of our nice amenities, like the awsome window seats available in some of our upgraded room types, and the great personal service our staff like Michael genuinely care to give. Thanks so much for sharing with everyone your awesome experience.
Illinois
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Monacos offer funky yet functional design and good service at a reasonable price and this hotel was no exception. It is in an excellent location to Magnificent Mile and the Loop and was extremely quiet for such a busy area. The room was clean and comfortable and made good use of every corner of the smallish size. Make sure and join Kimpton's loyalty program for free wi-fi and other benefits.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter; river views are wonderful (but pricier).
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Pacybags,
You are right- the loyalty program, Kimpton InTouch, is a great benefit and you earn a free night after seven visits with any of our 60 boutique in the United States. It looks like you are within Illinois- keep an eye out for some great Kimpton InTouch last minute weekend deals and Midwest promos we'll have coming up.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Staying at a Monaco hotel generally means you will be treated well. You can lower your defenses because there is no need to have them up. The staff at this particular Monaco needs a lot of remedial training. I did complain and the complaint was taken seriously and I do believe they will improve.

The kitchen cannot even be counted on to properly toast an English muffin after having been assured that they will do better the next time. Maintenace could not fix everything the first time and I had to ask twice for some items to be corrected such as the wads of dust hanging out of the exhaust vent over the bath tub. No one understood that being highly allergic means I would not appreciate a feather duvet!

But it is a Monaco and they certainly try to make amends. I would go back; just not for a few weeks to give them time to get back on track.

Room Tip: Even fourteen stories up, the doorman's whistle calling taxi drivers could be heard - but the vi...
Green Features: they do it all - recycling bins in the rooms, etc.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ThomasEdwards_10
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Hello ThomasEdwards_10, Thank you for the TA review you just posted. Although it is not a positive review, it does allow us to keep learning and improving. As you and I spoke on the morning of checkout, I expressed my apologies that we did not replace your feather duvet with a non-allergic blanket. After investigating this with our staff, it appears that there was a slight communication mishap with your request. Your wife had provided the front desk staff with a written list of requests. On this list, there was a request to replace the pillows but no mention of the duvet. We should have done more to ensure that your request was fully taken care of and I am very sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Thank you again for taking the time to speak with me on the day of your departure. I take every feedback as a way for us to continuously improve our service and standard levels.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I liked that this hotel took dogs without charging anything. Apparently all of the Kimpton's do this.
I had a decent price from a Sinque Away. They also had a Memorial Day special, which would encourage me to go again. I don't know their regular rates, but the location is ideal, especially for going to downtown theater. I parked a few blocks away in a less expensive location. The guy in the restaurant gave me complimentary coffee, as I was down there after the 10am ending of am coffee in the lobby reception area. I'm not real crazy about the pillow-top mattresses, but the linens were comfortable. The pillows were a little too squishy.

Room Tip: For more cash, choose a river view room with a window seat.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
37thgetaway,
You and your pup are welcome at all Kimpton boutiques. We even are prepared with great dog treats and beds/bowls, etc and we're nearby a great walking path to stroll along.
Next time you are in from Milwaukee, everyone would love to see you again.
Thank you for sharing your experience, and join Kimpton InTouch- great free high speed wifi and two mini bar items, along with special promo rates frequently.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We got a great rate over the recent Memorial weekend. Opted to book this hotel due to the favorable reviews on Trip Advisor and wasn't disappointed. The hotel looks unspectacular from the outside but you are quickly put at ease by the funky Art Deco lobby area. We requested a high floor and were surely plopped on the 10th floor. Our room was west looking and had a partial view of the river which was a Brucey Bonus!

The rooms were nicely decorated but not outstanding. My favorite thing about the room was that you could sit in the windows (or rather the window ledges). My wife and I spent a couple of hours just chilling under the duvet watching the world go by from the window ledge. It was ace.

Room Tip: North and west facing rooms appear to have the best views
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mark-english1
Mark-english1,
Those window seats surely make for a fabulous upgrade. Did you get to visit any of the city on our free to borrow bicycles or take part in the complimentary wine hour? Thank you for sharing your feedback!