“Great Location, Beautiful Hotel”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago
Ranked #16 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I am totally sold on Kimpton Hotels. Stayed at a Kimpton hotel in Philadelphia and now here in Chicago and loved it. We had a picnic on the window seat overlooking the river. We were there during St. Patrick's Day and enjoyed the view very much. Loved the wine hour. Great way to take a break. Bed was VERY comfortable. Our room was across from the elevator, which really scared me at first. I was afraid that the noise from people coming and going would keep us awake. This did not happen at all, the room was pretty soundproof. I loved that we could walk to so many attractions. If you turn left you end up on the Magnificent Mile, if you turn right you end up on State Street. Would definitely stay here again. Had very tasty breakfasts in their restaurant.

Room Tip: Kimpton Hotels Rock!!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ulik3
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Ulik3, Thank you for taking the time to complete the nice online review!! I'm happy to see that you enjoyed our window seats in the Riverview room you had! They are just fun for watching Chicago from the comforts of your own room. Not too mention that you got to enjoy our great location, and being in the middle of all festivities on St. Paddy's day!

We look forward to your next Chicago visit.

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I had to travel to Chicago at the last minute for work and the Hotel Monaco was a wonderful place to stay while in town. The room was lovely, clean and comfortable and the location could not have been more convenient. Joining the Kimpton Rewards program before arriving resulted in free internet access and an unexpected $10 coupon for the mini-bar. I loved the window seat with a river view (maybe add a stool or something near it to help us shorter folks get in?) and the settee was perfect at the end of a long day.
Other than a weak shower, the room was perfection.

Room Tip: As a last minute booking, I was not surprised to get a room directly across from the elevator. It w...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank kipperson
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Kipperson, Thank you so much for the great review! I appreciate you taking the time and leaving us this review. Our window seats is definitely one of the most popular feature in our River View Rooms. I'm glad you got to enjoy it.

Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed as a party of 4 in 3 rooms for 4 nights for the AAOS conference for Orthopaedic Surgeons. We are all well heeled travellers and doctors.

It's a good/ nice 4 star hotel in a great location. Probably a bit expensive for what it is but that may be the effect of the conference.

The biggest and only real issue is the dishonesty from the concierge desk when getting Bulls vs Trailblazers tickets for 21/3/13. We were sold 4 $150 tickets as best available and no other information given. At the game we found our seats were the cheapest available on the back row of the 3rd tier: list price $50. Plenty of other empty seats around. Someone had made $400 from us!

We didn't mind paying if we good seats or had known the true markup. The concierge did not help with either and this is surely a basic service for hotel guests- honest and trustworthiness in our best interests.

One of us raised it with the concierge and manager who gave us a total of $100 off. Not really good enough. Where else have they ripped people off?

You have been warned!

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Dr_np05

Dr_np05, Thank you for taking the time and leaving the review. I appreciate the feedback you've shared.
I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you had with our concierge. I have looked into this, and I can assure you that our concierge did the best they could looking for tickets to the Basketball game you request and they located the ticket through a ticket broker that does charge extra fees on top of the ticket. I also just checked that for a first level Bulls Ticket price is $338 for their upcoming game, the price printed on your ticket is a special price that the ticket broker purchases in quantity in beginning of the season for all of the games and it doesn't include all of the additional fees & taxes.
I have spoken with our concierge team and based on your feedback, we're changing the way that we handle special last minute ticket requests, to ensure that the pricing is clearly communicated to our guests.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

I've stayed in a lot of hotels- but this has to be one of my favorites! From the window seat overlooking the river (which was green for St. Patty's while I was there) to the wine hour, to the "raid the mini-bar" card ($10 for Kimpton rewards members), I was impressed. The rooms were very large and the bed was heavenly (soft through for those of you who like harder beds). Kimpton might be a new brand loyalty for me if they are all like this!

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room with a window seat, I got the impression that they do not all have them!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Holly, that you for leaving the really nice review!! I'm sure you had an amazing time during the busy St. Paddy's weekend in Chicago, and the view from the window seat onto the Chicago River after it's been dyed, is simply is amazing!! You are right, not all of our rooms have the window seats, but all of the River View Rooms do have window seats. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We had an excellent experience at the Hotel Monaco traveling with our 6 month old son. The staff was exceptionally accomodating, and made our stay run extremely smoothly.
I would highly recommmend this hotel to families with small children as the staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome with our baby.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Hi AH0102, Thank you so much for having stayed with us!! I do hope that your son had a good time as well, and he felt like a VIP! We are definitely a smaller hotel that caters well to families. We look forward to having you stay again!

Reviewed March 19, 2013

This is truly an exceptional hotel. We upgraded to a suite, well worth it. It was the best spot in Chicago to watch the river turn green for St. Patty's Day. I spent the whole morning sitting in a window seat watching the show. We'll be back!

• Stayed: March 2013

Hi KMAtlantaGA, Thank you so much for the nice review and giving us an AWESOME rating! How amazing is the dyeing of the river on St. Paddy's day from our window seats! I'm glad you got to enjoy that special time.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

This hotel was the second stop on our cross country road tip. We arrived a little early and had been in the car for about 8 hours already that day so we grabbed some lunch before checking in and heading out to explore. When we checked in, our room was very modern but smaller than I expected. It was in a great location though! We walked to Millennium Park and then took a cab over to Navy Pier from there. The hotel was very comfortable and it was almost 100 degrees when we stayed, so it was very nice to get inside where it was cool. We had a very long drive ahead of us the next day so we called it an early night. The bed was very comfortable and it was very quiet. We had a very nice stay and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi krdeforg, Thanks for the nice review. Chicago weather can go up and down fast, and in the summer time it can easily reach the 100's. I'm sorry that you felt the room slightly small, we do have nice suites and also some bigger rooms that you can request on your future stay. Some of those rooms will not have the amazing views of the river, but they make up with their spaciousness. We look forward to you coming back this summer and checking out our newly renovated lobby!