“Wow!! Love this hotel!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Camden Point, Missouri, United States
“Wow!! Love this hotel!”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I was absolutely overwhelmed by the graciousness of the staff at this hotel! My two sisters and I were in Chicago for the Midwinter Dental Meetings and chose the Monaco! Great choice! Nick at the front desk and the concierge were very helpful and accommodating as well as many other staff members! They recommended an amazing contemporary Mexican restaurant downtown that was over the top!! We will definitely be back with the other 3 sisters for a girls' long weekend! Love Chicago!:). Thank you Monaco!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Janette,
Wow I'm excited to hear you really experienced the genuine care and FUN we put into ensuring our guests love their visits with us. I can't wait to find out what this Mexican restaurant was, I'll be sure to head myself over there. Nick and the concierges will be thrilled to hear they helped you and your sisters have an excellent weekend.
Marco Scherer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (696)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Moline, Illinois, United States
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Monaco has always been our hotel of choice in Chicago. We stay there several times a year as a couple, as well as go there with friends, and my husband always chooses Monaco as a hotel for company business, renting about 10 rooms at a time. It's very well decorated and newly remodeled. The service staff does an outstanding job, from the doormen to the maids, everybody is always very polite is accommodating.
My only complaint is that in the last year or so, it seems that the main desk personnel's attitude has changed. Before I always felt like I was being very welcomed there and recognized as a valued customer. Reception area staff has always recognized us when we arrived, was very polite and welcoming, and often showed small signs of appreciation (Raid the bar card, small bag of popcorn in room, room upgrade, etc). About a year ago we started seeing a lot of new faces, and a completely different attitude. Every time we come there now, we are treated as new customers, not somebody who has been staying there as many times as we have, the staff at the desk doesn't really go out of their way anymore to make us feel welcome and appreciated.

Last time we stayed at Monaco, my husband came to Chicago the night before for business and I came in the next day. When I arrived, my husband was in a meeting and the reception desk personnel would not give me a key to go to our room, even though I offered to show my ID with the same last name and address as my husband. I had to wait almost 40 minutes in the lobby for my husband to get out of his meeting. I do understand that it was a security measure, but I was surprised that after all the times that I've stayed there, nobody has recognized us.
The time before that, we were given a room with absolutely no view, even though we made our reservation very early.
We just do not see the same warm "family" feel as before, and it's very disappointing.
I do have to add, however, that the doormen's great service and attitude has stayed as before, they are still very accommodating and make us feel welcomed and appreciated.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dashka,
Thanks for the feedback. It's always important to know not only how our new guests are experiencing the Monaco, but how our loyal guests are too. I'm really glad to have your feedback which I can share with my team and we can ensure our core values are experienced by everyone, on every visit. You can expect that family feel when you return next.
Thanks again for the feedback.
Ancaster, Canada
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The service was fantastic....Everyone was so helpful and kind.
I wasn't feeling well one night and they brought up hot water with lemon and honey for me.
The wine hour is amazing,My husband and I sat in front of the fire and had a few ...and more!
The location is perfect we walked to all the restaurants, shopping, symphony and museum.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Rochana K,
I hope that the warm and welcoming hospitality you recieved left you feeling much better. It's always touching to hear that we did our best to help someone who's under the weather feel better. Thanks for sharing and we look forward to having you back.
Coldwater, MI
Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

We go to Chicago several weekends a year. This visit included the play, "Book of Morman". We've stayed at a lot of places but this was our 1st stay at Hotel Monaco. We were in River Suite. Fast check in, friendly valet and bellman. Nice size room, I'd pay to go to the tranquility suite next time. Loved the wine hour at 5:00. Great location for plays or walking to MI Ave. lobby just got face lift. Only one comment, we paid for late check out and housekeeping called us 30 min before our 2:00 check out asking when we were leaving. Felt a little rushed. Still, we'll be back.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Lcoldwater,
We're happy to be your home away from home during your future Chicago weekend visits! So glad you got to stay in the spacious and elegant River View Mediterranean Suites! Did you love the Window Seats? They offer a great view of whats out there within walking distance.
We'll do a better job of letting Housekeeping know your late check out time in the future too.
Thanks so much, lColdwater!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I went to Hotel Monaco over the weekend for my birthday; The saff was so nice and my room was sooooooooo beautiful and the HOT TUB!!!!!!!!. Was the best. They also have have a wine hour..This is a great hotel for you and a special some one...I did not want to go home...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Lesha,
Happy Belated Birthday! What a great reason to spend a weekend with us and enjoy our many amenities like the jacuzzi's that are in our Mediterranean Suites, or our Window Seats, also in the suites, and our complimentary wine hour daily in our lobby from 5pm-6pm.
Many thanks for sharing your review!
Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 1, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed our second visit to the Hotel Monaco this past weekend. The staff was so pleasant and welcoming at both the hotel and the restaurant. We could walk to Millenium Park, Michigan Avenue and many of the theaters. The room was pretty but the best was the window seat looking out on the river. It made a short trip feel like a vacation. We will definitely return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dan J,
It sounds like you had a real nice trip into the city and I'm so glad you had that window seat upgrade to sit on while looking out over the river! I'm thrilled that you experienced the genuine care and that you've become a return guest- check out Kimpton InTouch and start earning towards a free visit in the future!
Atlanta
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

We traveled with friends for a anniversary trip, and I was delighted with my choice of this property! I was even more delighted that my friends were pleased with the Monaco!
While I've visited Chicago several times before, accommodations are usually with family in the suburbs. So as our first time staying in the city, I wanted a boutique hotel that felt unique to Chicago. The Monaco was a great choice. The friendly staff was very helpful, most of our destinations were an easy walk, and the decor' was modern and fun! We paid a little extra for a river view room with a window seat, and the view was awesome-- we definitely knew we were in Chicago!
Special thanks to Ryan L. for the congratulatory bottle of chilled champagne that was set up as a pleasant surprise in our room to wish us a happy anniversary. We had a great stay and look forward to relaxing at the Monaco again in the future!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank p2gP2St2d
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
To our friends from Atlanta,
Happy Anniversary! Thank you for spending it with us and trying out the boutique experience with us for your first stay downtown. I'm so glad you enjoyed those awesome views and that Ryan Lettier was able to take great care of you! Come and visit us again! Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone.