“Class and Luxury”

The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #26 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 14, 2009

I stayed here for only one night while in Chicago to see a show last weekend. I have stayed at other Kimpton Hotels and have enjoyed them, so I was looking forward to this visit. The beginning was not great... I drove up and was valet parking my car with one of their special packages, but the signage was not clear on where to pull up for the valet. When I opened my window to ask if this was the right spot, it took a minute to get someone's attention, even though there were two doorman and another uniformed attendant standing about three feet away! When I parked and got out, nobody offered to help with my luggage, and I had to wait in line for at least five minutes in the freezing cold to get a ticket for my car. The valet attendant was definitely on the rude side.

But thankfully, it all got better once I walked into the hotel. The lobby is tall and beautiful in the art deco style. The front desk attendant was friendly and quick getting me checked in. A bellman took my bag and led me upstairs, giving me an orientation to the hotel along the way and then getting me settled into my room. They use actualy keys here, not key cards! I had chosen a queen deluxe suite since the rooms looked small, and I am glad I spent the extra money! I ended up in room 1003, which was on the State Street side of the hotel, right on the corner of Washington. I had two bay windows, one of which looked right down Washington Street to Millenium Park and the lake! The living area had a comfortable love seat and chair with ottoman, coffee table, closet, end table, and armoire with TV, CD/tape player/stereo, and honor bar. French doors led to the bedroom area which had a small bedside table, desk & chair, TV, and dresser. The bathroom was down a short hall off the bedroom and was small but nice and had Aveda products. The bed was definitely one of the most comfortable I have ever slept on in a hotel, and there was a selection of pillows so I didn't even end up with a crick in my neck from sleeping on flat pillows! The shower head was high, so there was also no backbend for washing my hair. The window curtains were heavy, so except for a few cracks around the edges, it was nice and dark for sleeping. I could hear some traffic noise and drums from a sidewalk performer, as well has the whoosh of the el, which is one block over, but it didn't disturb me at all. If you sign up for their free Kimpton In Touch program, you also get free wi-fi. The connection felt quick and smooth.

I ordered room service for dinner, which comes up from the Atwood Cafe downstairs. The prices were typical for hotel room service, but the food was delicious, and the service was fast! They had told me 25-30 minutes, but it arrived in 15 minutes.

I felt safe walking the block over to the Oriental Theatre and back at night. Checking out was also quick and easy with another very friendly desk clerk, and they had my car pulled up to the curb in only a few moments. They also loaded my bag in the car this time, and the attendants seemed much more attentive than they had the night before.

I will definitely stay here again, and would recommend it to just about anyone!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank nahlarph

Reviewed April 9, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Burnham over a long weekend & were very pleased! The location was ideal - a couple blocks from Millenium Park, near shopping & great restaurants, and located mid way between North Michigan Ave and the museums.

The hotel staff was quite friendly and the rooms were beautiful, clean and comfortable. We requested extra pillows and a fan - which were brought to us very quickly. The doormen were a pleasure - always quick to offer a smile.

Though the hotel was fabulous overall, there was a lot of street noise. We stayed on the 3rd floor facing Washington and could hear most everything happening outside. There were young men drumming on 5 gallon buckets (nonstop) across the street from about noon to 9 p.m., and we could clearly hear the subway and El train at night. It's not like the hotel could control those things, but it could be a factor for travelers hoping to spend time relaxing during the day.

Regardless - we got a great price through priceline.com and would go back to Hotel Burnham in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2009

I have been lucky enough to have gotten this hotel via priceline three times and now i'd pay whatever to stay here. From Reggie the bellman (of whom we named our pet goldfish for the night) to the complementary wine reception to the complimentary wine and chocolates for my husband's b-day delivered straight to our room to the upgraded GOURGEOUS deluxe queen suite complete w/a pet goldfish for the stay (again, compliments for my husband's b-day), this hotel is TOP NOTCH!!!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2009

Very nice boutique hotel in the heart of The Loop. Easy walk to stores, theatres, parks and many restaurants. The room was newly redone and very stylish. The bed was comfortable and the staff very friendly. I really enjoyed my stay except for a loud fan in the bathroom which I couldn't turn off. I should have called the desk but was only staying one night. I would stay again but make sure that was not a regular" feature".

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed March 26, 2009

I love the location. The rooms were very nice and the staff was exceedingly friendly. Everything went like clockwork here without a hitch the whole way through. I would definitely stay here again. You are right by millenium park and right where you need to be in Chicago. Also, very affordable. Loved it.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank adrian s
Reviewed March 23, 2009

We had a wonderful stay at the Hotel Burnham in Chicago! The hotel is situtated in a perfect location and is just a few blocks from the Art Institute and about a ten minute walk to the Magnificent Mile. The rooms are on the small side but are what you would expect in a boutique hotel. The hotel is filled with history and periodically tours will walk through the lobby talking about this landmark. The Atwood Cafe is a nice place to grab a cocktail at night. The staff are more than accomodating and lack pretension. We will definitely come back next time we are in Chicago!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 5, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Burnham Hotel to celebrate our anniversary. When the staff found out, they were nothing but nice to us! They kept congratulating us, and recommended we dine at the cafe.

For a historical landmark, the restaurant was surprisingly modern. We ordered dessert and it was exactly what we wanted. We ended up going back for breakfast and the frittata was amazing!

The rooms were small but it didn't matter because the furniture was "homey" and comfortable. We took pictures of our view of the Chicago Theater.

The only downside was the construction in the area. It made it difficult when sidewalks were closed. We were worried about it being noisy but it was such a quiet area at night. Well worth it!!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple