“Historic great location”

The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #25 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 5, 2014

The hotel is located in a prime location. It was reasonably priced and the front desk staff was outstanding, esp Sasha. They have free coffee in the am, and wine every afternoon. Water is always available in the lobby. The Atwood restaurant was delightful for breakfast with very nice ambiance. Was there 10 years ago and it did not disappoint.a historic gem.
However, they need more lighting in the bathroom.

Room Tip: Ask for room 1204.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank architect
BurnhamGM, General Manager at The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2014

Dear Architect,

Your review is much appreciated. We were delighted to welcome you back with us. The Staff is really what much this a great place to work. Sasha is definitely a gem and hopefully he keeps getting brighter and brighter.... Place stay share your experience with friends and family.

There are newer reviews for The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel

Reviewed July 5, 2014

When it comes to hotels I rate them on cleanliness 1st and this hotel is right up there. To add to that staff are so friendly and helpful, they gave great recommendations on food. Location is great. Can't fault them. And just to note free happy hour from 5-6pm.....now that's something to shout about!

Room Tip: Book direct with hotel...if you find a better price on another site they will match it.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Crazy2010

Dear Crazy2010,

We love how you wrote this review.... Thank you so much for giving us this amazing review. We are happy to know that the staff and services that were provided meet your expectations. We try to keep the place as clean as possible. Please tell a friend or a neighbor about us, we will give them the same experience. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 3, 2014

This was my second stay at this hotel in the last 3 years. The hotel itself is in a wonderful location and within walking distance to anything downtown. Its also located very close to the "L" which makes transportation to and from both airports very easy. Love the fact that Walgreens is right next door for forgotten items or just to pick up a snack or beverage. I did note that my room this time was showing wear with wallpaper pulling from the walls and faded areas in the carpeting. As always the staff at the hotel goes above and beyond to make you comfortable. With refrigerators in each room I did wish there was also at least one centrally located microwave within the building.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank septsunseeker
BurnhamGM, General Manager at The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Dear Septsunseeker,

We are so excited that you were not disappointed. Thank you very much for staying with us. We really appreciate you sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. The staff is what make the experience and we are fully aware that we can't do it without them. Location is key and what a wonderful neighborhood to see attractions. I'm sharing your comment with the staff and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

I stayed at this hotel during a business trip in April 2014 and it was awesome. The staff is super friendly, you can go walking almost anywhere and is near great shopping and restaurants. The rooms are comfy and the overall look and feel of the hotel is unique. I would recommend it with my eyes closed!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear Patricia F,

Thank you so much for giving us this amazing review. We are happy to know that the staff and services that were provided meet your expectations. Your recommendation is very special to us so please keep tell all your friend about us and we will give them the same experience to share with the world. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 2, 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights on vacation from the UK.
The hotel is in a great location. It is just opposite the L which was very convenient for all our travelling. We used the Blue line to get to and from O'Hare airport,which was free as we had bought a pass on arrival at the Airport.
The hotel was in an excellent location near the L. However,there were many sights within easy walking distance. (Millennium Park etc)
We paid to upgrade to a "historic room" and it was well worth it. The room was very nice indeed and the building had real character.
We had dinner at the Attwood restaurant on site and this was fine. We also had 2 breakfasts there and they were very good. My girl friend has Coeliac Disease so cannot have Gluten,but the staff were very helpful and got her G/F crackers instead of toast. We have stayed at a Kimpton before and really appreciate the "wine hour".
The hotel is across the road from Macy's and there is a good place for breakfast down the road called Beef and Barrel.
I must make special mention of the Concierge,Jean Luc. All the staff were good,but he was really exceptional. He was so helpful and nothing was too much trouble. My girl friend had to go to A&E at the Memorial Hospital during our stay and he was so helpful with that. He checked if there was anything extra he could do following our hospital visit and was very considerate.
We loved our stay in Chicago and it is a great city.
Hotel Burnham - A lovely building - Great Location - Reasonable price - a glass of wine.
What more could you want!
The 5 star marking relates to the presence of Jean Luc. He was absolutely great.
Thanks to Hotel Burnham for a great Chicago stay.

Room Tip: Try and stay in the upper "historical rooms" The floor layout is great with the lovely ol...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Mr. Bcatah,

What an outstanding review of the Hotel Burnham. We really appreciate the five stars.... What more could we ask for. Jean-Luc is Phonemenal.... I am surely happy to have him on my team. In fact, the entire team is amazing and we could not operate at a high level without them. Kudos to the Burnham Staff. Thank you so much for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor we hope other people see your review and give us a try. Hope to see you again soon but if not we hope to see you on your next vacation.

1 West Washington Street

Reviewed July 1, 2014

I was here on a girls weekend staycation. We got there a couple hours before check-in so the only room available in our desired configuration was on the second floor. I know some reviewers complained about the noise, but I thought the second floor was great. We had a great view of State Street. As mentioned, the hotel has plenty of old world charm. I was traveling with two teenage girls so we had a funny moment when they spotted one of the rotary phones in the hallway, and wondered what it was and how it works. The lobby of the hotel is quite cozy and there are refreshments offered all day. As recommended by several reviewers, please make a reservation if you're planning on eating at Atwood Café. We did, and it was worth it. My only suggestion regarding the menu offerings, is that I wish that they had afternoon tea. I read somewhere that they do have it during the Christmas holiday but I wish they would bring it back before then--at least on the weekends. We went to another hotel for afternoon tea, and it would've been nice if we didn't have to. All and all, we had a great time and loved the hotel. I definitely would stay there again. By the way, the day after we checked out, I realized that I had left my jacket in the hotel room. I called, and sure enough, housekeeping was able to locate it. When I went to go pick it up, hotels staff had nicely folded my jacket and wrapped it up in plastic so would not get messed up. I really appreciated them finding my jacket for me. All the more reason why I would return.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank feliciah7
BurnhamGM, General Manager at The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Dear Feliciah7,

Staycations are wonderful! Hope the girls had fun and enjoyed seeing the old phone. We loved your review and really appreciate you sharing it on Tripadvisor. The Atwood is very busy year round but I will make a suggestion to the Chef regarding High Tea. Sorry you had to travel to get to your tea. Next time we will set something up in your room or lobby so you and the girls can enjoy. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Very nice hotel with great staff. The room was comfortable and clean. The coffee and tea in the morn was delicious and appreciated. The staff friendly and helpful. Free bike use. Four star restaurant on site.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Dear Cheymorningsun,

Hope to see you back again soon..... Glad to hear that the coffee which is local (Intelligencia) and Tea help start your morning. We want you to have fun and return as soon as you can. Your review was very pleasing and we hope to have you again soon.