“Great Hotel, Great City!!!”

The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #29 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 26, 2008

Hotel Burnham - Chicago We recently stayed for 3 nights at the Hotel Burnham and would definately recommend it. It is in a great location and the hotel's decor is beautiful. After a long trip there we received a warm greeting from the hotel staff and the room we stayed in had a fabulous view over the streets of Chicago including the famous theatre sign.We even had a goldfish in our room! The hotel itself is open to guests who wish to bring their pets however despite this the hotel is clean. It was great one morning when the lift doors open and a black labrador was there to greet us! The hotel offers a complimentary wine reception on an evening and Starbucks coffee and Dunkin Donuts on a morning - though tea and coffee facitilies in the room would have been welcomed. Been from England my girlfriends hair straightners that she took did not work however the hotel were more than happy to supply me with a pair throughout our stay. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel

Reviewed September 25, 2008

Stayed two nights. As others have said, small reception area, small rooms but all very pretty. Staff was very good. Location was outstanding for what we were doing -- theater and getting married at City Hall -- all within 2 blocks.

We enjoyed the restaurant: had a couple of breakfasts and a dinner. Even if you are not a vegetarian try the Lentil Cake entree if available. Excellent.

As for the noise: The rooms seem to be excellently sound proofed. We were on the 12th floor facing the construction zone. The first night there were back hoes working but unless you really tried to listen for it, it was not discernible. The second night however, about 3am, they started up with some machine that let out a powerful whine, and a little later loud jack hammering.

So until that project is done it appears it is just the luck of the draw for what the work schedule is for a given evening if it is going to be a factor.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2008

I stayed a couple of nights at the Burnham recently. It's got the qualities of a small hotel and the amenities of a large one. The staff were friendly andvery professional. The restaurant is one of the best in downtown. The location is perfect for museums, shopping, strolling the waterfront. The room was immaculate and comfortable (the bed was great!). And not too expensive. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 12, 2008

I've stayed at the Burnham this summer for a few business trips that I've had in Chicago and I'm always pleased with the top quality of the hotel. The rooms aren't that large, but they are beautifully decorated with high quality furnishings, and are always spotless. The restaurant is a little pricey and the menu isn't that diverse, but the food is always made from the best ingredients and prepared perfectly, and usually takes a modern twist on a traditional recipe.

The customer service has always been very prompt, professional and polite. The only drawback is the construction on the roads nearby which can be noisy at night, but Chicago's doing a city project so the Burnham can't do much about that. Ask for a high floor away from the noise, if you can.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 3, 2008

My 2 teenage daughters and I wanted a short weekend away and i was lucky enough to take advantage of a TravelZoo promotion at the Hotel Burnham in Chicago. From the welcoming e-mail we received a couple of days ahead of arrival right to the loading of the car at departure we were treated like royalty. The luxurious rooms,the restored wood and iron grills on the elevator were even appreciated by my daughters which from teenagers is a real compliment. The offer of a glass of wine when I first entered the lobby after stressing through rush hour traffic was very welcome. I know there have been lots of complaints about noise but we had a corner room on the 12th floor and we had no problems with noise. Even though we were across from the elevator we never heard anyone in the hallway-it was as if we had the place to ourselves. We had an amazing deal for the 2 nights but I'm already making plans to go back with my husband this time and I would happily pay the going rate if there are no discounts available. The hotel is central to everything and we enjoyed walking in all directions to see what was around the corners. My first trip to Chicago but I'll be going back for sure.

Reviewed September 2, 2008

The Hotel Burnham is a great spot in Chicago's Theatre District and near many downtown tourist attractions (e.g. Sears Tower, Chicago Theatre, etc.). Some of the more unique features of the hotel include an old style elevator with gate and the use of keys to open your room...yes, real keys (not cards)! The rooms are small, but very tastefully done, with a beautiful poster bed and canopy. The windows are decorated with velvet like curtains with musical scores by Mozart in gold colored script, to emphasize the hotel's proximity to various performing arts venues. Each evening, the hotel hosts a wine reception in the lobby, which is a nice respite after a long workday. The breakfast menu is also quite enjoyable, especially the delicious eggs Benedict and fresh squeezed orange juice. I only spent two nights here, but would be happy to come back!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 31, 2008

This hotel is living off its former glory. It desperately needs a makeover. What was considered luxurious and well designed 30 years mow seems run of the mill and verging on tacky.

The tv set was a 30 year old clunker from Zenith. I don't care much for television when I travel (I don't think I turned it on once). I just mention it because it's an apt metaphor for my entire experience.

For starters, I arrived at 4pm only to find out that my room was not ready. They took my cell phone number so they could call me when they were ready for me, but they never called. I popped by at 6 to discover that my room was ready and was left to wonder if they ever would have called me. (no apologies either).

When I got to my room (which was no easy task as room 410 isn't even listed as a possibility on the signs facing the elevator) I was shocked to see how small it was (considering the amount of time it took to clean, check out is at 11 am by the way). It's one of those deals where opening the door to the bathroom almost collides with your bed. As for the view, I suspect some people in prison enjoy a better vista.

They offer a complementary continental breakfast but I wonder what continent they are referring to. No customary cereal, cheese, or yogurt options. Just a sad fruit salad and a muffin or white or whole wheat toast. Again, I thought of prison as the service was less than smiley.

The best thing about this place is the wonderful location and the building itself, one of the Chicago's oldest skyscrapers.

Everything else was a disappointment.

• Stayed: August 2008