“Great Old Hotel in Chicago's Theatre District”

The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #26 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 2, 2008

The Hotel Burnham is a great spot in Chicago's Theatre District and near many downtown tourist attractions (e.g. Sears Tower, Chicago Theatre, etc.). Some of the more unique features of the hotel include an old style elevator with gate and the use of keys to open your room...yes, real keys (not cards)! The rooms are small, but very tastefully done, with a beautiful poster bed and canopy. The windows are decorated with velvet like curtains with musical scores by Mozart in gold colored script, to emphasize the hotel's proximity to various performing arts venues. Each evening, the hotel hosts a wine reception in the lobby, which is a nice respite after a long workday. The breakfast menu is also quite enjoyable, especially the delicious eggs Benedict and fresh squeezed orange juice. I only spent two nights here, but would be happy to come back!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business

Reviewed August 31, 2008

This hotel is living off its former glory. It desperately needs a makeover. What was considered luxurious and well designed 30 years mow seems run of the mill and verging on tacky.

The tv set was a 30 year old clunker from Zenith. I don't care much for television when I travel (I don't think I turned it on once). I just mention it because it's an apt metaphor for my entire experience.

For starters, I arrived at 4pm only to find out that my room was not ready. They took my cell phone number so they could call me when they were ready for me, but they never called. I popped by at 6 to discover that my room was ready and was left to wonder if they ever would have called me. (no apologies either).

When I got to my room (which was no easy task as room 410 isn't even listed as a possibility on the signs facing the elevator) I was shocked to see how small it was (considering the amount of time it took to clean, check out is at 11 am by the way). It's one of those deals where opening the door to the bathroom almost collides with your bed. As for the view, I suspect some people in prison enjoy a better vista.

They offer a complementary continental breakfast but I wonder what continent they are referring to. No customary cereal, cheese, or yogurt options. Just a sad fruit salad and a muffin or white or whole wheat toast. Again, I thought of prison as the service was less than smiley.

The best thing about this place is the wonderful location and the building itself, one of the Chicago's oldest skyscrapers.

Everything else was a disappointment.

• Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank drydenprice
Reviewed August 27, 2008

The Burnham is a lovely smaller hotel in an historic buliding right smack-bang in the middle of Chicago, great for shopping (right across the road from Marshall Fields) and access to the theatres. You can't beat the location, and the staff were friendly and attentive.

My room was tiny (as you would expect from the location) but very well appointed and all the furnishings were extremely comfortable.

Unfortunately at the time I was staying there they were ripping up State Street, so Taxi access was difficult and the subway station at State and Washington is closed for much of this year. It also took ten minutes to diagonally cross the road to get to Marshall Fields due to the roadworks - not the hotel's fault.

On the whole a very pleasant stay all round.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed August 27, 2008

This hotel was an unexpected find! I searched several websites and had reserved a room somewhere else, when I received a notice from Hotwire about other hotels in the area. I took a gamble and hit the jackpot! The price was exceptional for the area, but especially the hotel iteslf! The hotel staff was very accommodating, personable and ready to assist. I even received a handwritten note from the cleaning personnel. The wine tasting was an excellent opening to a great stay in the historical and beautiful hotel. We didn't spend much time in the room or hotel itself, but the time we did spend was luxurious. The room was comfortably romantic, very clean and plush. This hotel was very close to many of the wonderful sites Chicago has to offer. It is in a nice area, walking distance to many attractions as well as train stations. I felt safe in the area walking as a single woman. The construction in the area was not bothersome to me, however my husband did have a little trouble sleeping in one morning as they start work at 8am or earlier. The first evening we stayed, we enjoyed a walk to see some of the shops, theaters and architecture in the area. We took an excellent Ghost Tour, which I would recommend as they provided an interesting history of the city. The architectural boat tour is also a great tour of the Chicago River and gives insight to the buildings in the area. We had breakfast one morning at The Atwood Restaurant, excellent food, poor service, but then there was only one waiter for about 8 tables. If you are looking for Chicago style pizza and have about 2 hours to wait for your table and to get food, try Gino's east, however, I liked the little pizza place by Frank Lloyd Wright's home, Giordano's, much better and the wait was not as long. I would highly recommend the Burnham Hotel and will look for other Kimpton hotels when traveling; you won't go wrong choosing this one!

Reviewed August 27, 2008

Our room was a disappointment. Our room was so small that I couldn't roll in my suitcase on wheels because the space between the bed and wall was too tight. It might have been suitable for a single business traveller for a single night, not for a couple on holiday.

As well, jackhammers and road work outside all night long. Very annoying. And Red Line train is shutdown on weekends... would have been nice to have a warning.

The breakfast at Cafe Atwood was very good, as well as the wine hour. Overall, I wish we had stayed somewhere else, a few miles north of the hotel, closer to the nightlife and restaurants.

Reviewed August 22, 2008

Saw this hotel on Tripadvisor and booked. Fantastic !
Excellent location, close to everything. I am on the 12th floor in a nice suite and despite the construction works in the street I am sleeping like a baby. Staff is polite and efficient, room is spotless and bed is very comfortable.
This was the perfect hotel to end our honeymoon vacation.!

• Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank mydiamondheart
Reviewed August 19, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for one night to meet up with old friends. We read very positive reviews of the hotel and the Kimpton chain, so we booked this at a wonderful price through their website.

The hotel is in the heart of the loop--at the corner of State and Washington. Given its location, I was a bit concerned that it would be too busy, or too loud. I found none of this to be true. Instead, when you walk in the doors, the enticing yet compact lobby really silenced the outside. If you are looking for a grand ballroom of a lobby, this is not your place; but I never felt cramped as I enjoyed their beautiful furniture. The whole building is Old Chicago style with strong touches of Art Deco throughout. Every touch was perfect--and the choice to keep the upper floors true to the original design of the building was genius.

Not only was the decor beautiful, the beds were comfortable, the shower and amenities (L'Occitaine) were upscale and the internet was fast and had wireless options. The free wine reception in the evening was a great plus and got you ready to head out for a nice dinner. The hotel's location is perfect for walking or taking the EL to your dinner/entertainment destination, and it is only a leisurely 10 minute stroll to the lake.

The free Starbucks coffee and tea in the morning was a kind way to smooth me into my day and the breakfast in the hotel restaurant was good fare that came quickly to our table.

When we were informed that the gym was undergoing renovations, we were initially upset--but before that could settle in, the front desk staff immediately told us that all of their guests could use the gym at a sister hotel (another Kimpton property 3 blocks away). Since exercise was the goal, we were happy to walk there--and were treated well by that staff.

Overall, this is a very nice boutique hotel. Details are a priority here and the staff is some of the best I have encountered. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

2  Thank prof