“We Always Stay Here in Chicago” 5 of 5 stars

Kimpton Burnham Hotel
Ranked #23 of 184 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Jefferson City
“We Always Stay Here in Chicago”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

This is just a great hotel at a great location in Chicago. Seems every time we go to Chicago, we stay here. Always a nice clean room. Great restaurant for breakfast or lunch. Haven't eaten dinner here-usually eating deep dish pizza somewhere. We like the Kimpton chain because they usually are consistently good. We walked Michigan Ave and shopped like everyone else. Taxis are easy to come by here if you need one. Midway airport is only about 30 minutes away. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank SPDV
BurnhamGM, General Manager at Kimpton Burnham Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear SPDV,

We are elated to hear that you are Loyal and have not been disappointed. What a wonderful review about your stay at the Hotel Burnham a Kimpton Hotel! You sharing the highlights of your stay on Tripadvisor is amazing. We really appreciate your support and recognition of the staff and services provided during your stay. It is very important to us that we make you and your family as comfortable as possible and create an one of a kind experience that you can share with your friends and family so they want to stay with us also. We look forward to your return for another unique and exciting stay.

On behalf of the Management and Staff of the Hotel Burnham.....Thank you for being a return guest.

312-782-1111

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
TG, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Quaint, romantic.... I love how you get an actual key. The vintage elevators... The decorum... Wine hour... The staff was so accommodating. The room was plush... Great beds, toiletries... All around a wonderful hotel!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank mandolin33333
Dear Mandolin33333,

Longmont Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I booked this hotel based on it's proximity to the city center. It was everything I expected out of a Kimpton property. The room was very elegant, if a little worn. It appeared to be updated fairly recently, and had the amenities one expects - a comfy bed with a down comforter, flat panel TV with the usual array of entertainment choices, in room safe, and a spacious washroom. The in house wi-fi performed flawlessly. I'll definitely stay in this hotel whenever I travel to Chicago.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear John F,

I'm glad to hear that we have won you over.... Thanks for being loyal to Kimpton Hotels. We also have a Hotel Monaco in Denver, CO just in case you are ever in the area. What a wonderful review about your stay at the Hotel Burnham a Kimpton Hotel! You sharing the highlights of your stay on Tripadvisor is amazing. We really appreciate your support and recognition of the staff and services provided during your stay. It is very important to us that we make you feel comfortable as possible and create an one of a kind experience that you can share with your friends and family so they want to stay with us also. We look forward to your return for another unique and exciting stay.

Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Searched Chicago for a reasonabley priced room that is at the higher end of smart and comfortable. I found it here. This is an amazingly renovated building, tastefully decorated, keeping what features they could, but not at the expense of modernising. The lobby is small and intimate. If you like huge corporate hotel lounges and bars to relax, you wont want here. I don't. Pleasant welcome and the receptionist said "You're hear for 4 night, then we'd better give you a view". I duly got one looking up State towards The Chicago theatre. Room was not huge, but had plenty of space. Hallways and lifts beautifully restored. There was even free wine in the lobby between 5-6pm. Not great wine, but a nice touch. Free coffee too in the morning. There is a small bar alongside the restaurant on the ground floor. I did not eat there but it was busy and reviews look good on here. Staff always greeted you if you walked out or in, but not in an over attentive manner, which was nice.

My only gripe is there was a note on day two from my cleaner stating it was her pleasure to serve me. Do I tip for day 1, do I tip for the 4 nights. I guess its a cultural thing. We pay our cleaners a living wage so they don't hassle guests. I'm happy to tip after my stay but object to being told to, especially at this level.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear DJ Skippa,

We are very apologetic about offending you with the a note from the housekeeper. The purpose of the note is to let you know that she (housekeeper) cleaned your room and if you have any question or need anything during your stay she will provide it for you. Again we apologize. What a wonderful review about your stay at the Hotel Burnham a Kimpton Hotel! You sharing the highlights of your stay on Tripadvisor is amazing. We really appreciate your support and recognition of the staff and services provided during your stay. It is very important to us that we make you and your family as comfortable as possible and create an one of a kind experience that you can share with your friends and family so they want to stay with us also. We look forward to your return for another unique and exciting stay.

Morristown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Having just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel, I can recommend it highly. The staff...from the front desk to the people who serve in the restaurant to the maids...are all friendly and eager to make your stay an enjoyable one. The decor is somewhat elegant French with a beautiful but not overdone feel. There are helpful but not overbearing doormen and the location makes it easy to get around the city or to have them hail a cab for you. The people at the front desk are knowledgeable and friendly and the concierge (Jean Luc) really knows his town! (Great recommendation of Trattoria for dinner one night.) The restaurant is cozy but bright with full floor to ceiling windows on two sides. I thought the food was reasonable priced with a good selection...I just wish my soup and later my breakfast eggs were hot...that was a disappointment.
My room was comfortable and stylish and very clean with a very comfortable bed. Perhaps one of the best things was the Trip Advisor "deal" on a room rate we were able to use by booking some months ago. And this included the morning coffee and tea set out each day for guests as well as a wine bar at 5pm. Lovely.
We met a couple who were enjoying their tenth stay here...and I would certainly repeat my visit when in Chicago again.

Room Tip: There were 4 of us...all on different floors and everyone was happy. Don't worry about receivin...
Green Features: The hotel prides itself on being eco friendly...and explains its practices on cards in the room.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Sapphire15,

Happy to hear that we were able to make all (4) of you happy...The 5 star review is awesome... What a wonderful review about your stay at the Hotel Burnham a Kimpton Hotel! You sharing the highlights of your stay on Tripadvisor is amazing. We really appreciate your support and recognition of the staff and services provided during your stay. It is very important to us that we make you and your family as comfortable as possible and create an one of a kind experience that you can share with your friends and family so they want to stay with us also. We look forward to your return for another unique and exciting stay.

Indianapolis, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

To celebrate my daughter's 16th birthday, we planned an overnight trip to Chicago to enjoy some shopping and stay in the city. I went online to find a hotel in the shopping district with a reasonable price and ended up narrowing down my selections on hotels.com. My big concern with Hotel Burnham was its pet friendly status. In my mind, a hotel that welcomed pets could not be an over-the-top nice hotel. I pictured stained carpets, etc. I was so surprised with what I actually found at a $180 pricetag in this area.

First, we arrived to discover a boutique hotel with quaint touches throughout. The only evidence of its pet friendly status was the water bowl and food bowl outside the front entrance and complimentary dog biscuits in the reception area.

From the start, the concierge, Jean Luc, was simply fabulous. He explained the valet parking to us and was able to place us in a room nearly two hours before one should have been available. When he noted my daughter's 16th birthday, he must have gotten to work securing a birthday gift for her in the form of a free in-room movie. We received a birthday card and note about the free movie gift under out door. He also provided discount cards for various shops in the area and up and down the Magnificent Mile.

From the real, old-fashioned door key to the room decor, we were simply thrilled with all aspects of the hotel. The view from our room was spectacular. The bedding was lush. Every inch of the room showed the boutique touches that made it special. Our toilet paper was even sealed with a monogrammed B.

Although pricey, the hotel restaurant, the Atwood Cafe, was just as quaint, and we loved our Eggs Benedict in the morning.

The area for the hotel felt incredibly safe. We walked two short blocks to our restaurant reservation site on Wacker with no difficulty at all. Although close to the Magnificent Mile for shopping, we could have just as easily stayed within one or two blocks of our hotel for shopping.

Thank-you, Jean Luc and Hotel Burnam for making my daughter's 16th birthday so special. I have stayed in countless Chicago hotels over the years and have never felt as safe and as pampered as at Hotel Burnam. We will be return guests.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor facing toward the Chicago Theatre.
Green Features: Aside from the standard signs for indicating whether linens need to be changed and towels replaced, I was impressed with the hotel's commitment to community causes, such as the Dress for Success program.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Robertsghs,

Happy 16th Birthday to your daughter.... I'm excited to hear that Jean Luc was able to make some special arrangement for your daughter big day. What a wonderful review about your stay at the Hotel Burnham a Kimpton Hotel! You sharing the highlights of your stay on Tripadvisor is amazing. We really appreciate your support and recognition of the staff and services provided during your stay. It is very important to us that we make you and your family as comfortable as possible and create an one of a kind experience that you can share with your friends and family so they want to stay with us also. We look forward to your return for another unique and exciting stay.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I really like staying in historical buildings and finding out about the history of the place, so as you can imagine, I really was really surprised when the doorman who brought my lugage to my room told me this was Al Capone's office!! I liked the old staircases, the dial phone, the elevators and the mosaic floor is amazing. There are 3 poster that tell the story of the building in the elevator hall. It also doesn't hurt that it is near everything, extremely well located, staff is super friendly and welcoming, the Altwood cafe serves great food and there is a daily free wine hour:) Comfy beds and linen, extra pre-requested pillows and funny bathrobes! It is an expensive hotel, but worth it:)
Tip: become a member of their kimpton club and get free wifi in the room and a 10 dollar mini-bar voucher.

Room Tip: Rooms from the eight floor up have a chaiming original staircase.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
Dear Travelgems_10,

Excited to hear that you were able to enjoy a little bit of history... Al Capone's room is pretty hard to stay in but you were able to enjoy it. What a wonderful review about your stay at the Hotel Burnham a Kimpton Hotel! You sharing the highlights of your stay on Tripadvisor is amazing. We really appreciate your support and recognition of the staff and services provided during your stay. It is very important to us that we make you and your family as comfortable as possible and create an one of a kind experience that you can share with your friends and family so they want to stay with us also. We look forward to your return for another unique and exciting stay.