“So much to offer”

GreenLeadersGold level
Appleton, Wisconsin
“So much to offer”
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

The property is a kimpton so its great to begin with. I love the history of the building, the kimpton features and amenities, and their pet policy. The rooms are classy but beginning to show age. I am sure with the history if the building they are hesitant to make renovations but it is becoming necessary. The restaurant is also wonderful, in fact we had been to the restaurant numerous times before staying at the burnham. This hotel is great because of the kimpton element, the location in the theatre district, and their proximity to much in the loop area. I would give them a try.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank J K
BurnhamGM, General Manager at The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear J K,

Thank you for being LOYAL to the Hotel Burnham. The hotel is 15 years old and is showing signs of aging. We are working on a plan to address these issues. Thank you for being loyal inspite of. What a wonderful review at your stay at the Hotel Burnham a Kimpton Hotel! You sharing the highlights of your stay on Tripadvisor is amazing. We really appreciate your support and recognition of the staff and services provided during your stay. It is very important to us that we make you feel as comfortable as possible and create an one of a kind experience that you can share with your friends and family so they want to stay with us also. We look forward to your return for another unique and exciting stay.

312-782-1111

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
Munster, Indiana
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I can't tell if the Kimpton brands cater specifically to a more liberal crowd than I normally run in, but this facility is worth a stay at any rate. Full disclosure: I love buildings. I am a Civil Engineer with an Architect's soul. This facility was apparently a commercial building (office or bank) designed by Daniel Burnham, famously renowned as Chicago's primary urban designer. It has been restored classically. You actually get a KEY for your room. The heavy doors and hardware make you feel you're in Europe, and for me, it had a specifically English feeling. The design palette (colors, texture, etc.) is decidedly eclectic and a bit more masculine than feminine - which for me, was a nice change of pace. The rooms are on the small side, but the décor and service more than make up for it. The furnishings feel old-worldly and high quality, and the service was extra friendly. I even got a hand-written note from one of the staff - I responded in kind. There are robes (a little too funky for me) and even an umbrella available in the rooms (which you can purchase if you want). There's an upscale restaurant that opens for all meals. Complimentary coffee in the lobby is gourmet (Intelligentsia - which is growing fast in popularity). I was on a group training trip, so I didn't pay and can't speak for the value. But for me, the building was worth the stay. Having looked at a number of TA reviews & pic's of downtown Chicago hotels, the ones that differentiate themselves for their themes are (in no particular order): Allerton (European); Talbott (European); Burnham (English); Millennium Knickerbocker (Asian). This is only from memory of the hotels typically in the top 20 - 30 downtown.

Room Tip: I liked higher up rooms and overlooked State and Washington. Nice view of Macy's (former Marsha...
2 Thank Urbane_Hoosier
Dear Urbane-Hoosier,

We like it when all the details, tells the story! What a wonderful review at your stay at the Hotel Burnham a Kimpton Hotel! You sharing the highlights of your stay on Tripadvisor is amazing. We really appreciate your support and recognition of the staff and services provided during your stay. It is very important to us that we make you feel as comfortable as possible and create an one of a kind experience that you can share with your friends and family so they want to stay with us also. We look forward to your return for another unique and exciting stay.

On behalf of the Management and Staff of the Hotel Burnham.....Thank you for sharing your story of the Historical Reliance Building.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

We had a lovely 3-night stay recently. The hotel is a wonderfully restored property, the staff is very friendly and accommodating and the location is great. However, be forewarned that if you are looking for a post-theater dessert or night cap it won't happen in the Atwood Cafe here. The restaurant and bar, which is NOT managed by the Burnham staff closes at 10pm, weekend nights included. It was a major disappointment, and I wish we had been told in person about this when we checked in and were given a discount card for the bar and/or room's mini-bar.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Nancy87701,

Sorry! The Atwood Cafe closes at 9:30pm. What a wonderful review at your stay at the Hotel Burnham a Kimpton Hotel! You sharing the highlights of your stay on Tripadvisor is amazing. We really appreciate your support and recognition of the staff and services provided during your stay. It is very important to us that we make you and your family feel as comfortable as possible and create an one of a kind experience that you can share with your friends and family so they want to stay with us also. We look forward to your return for another unique and exciting stay.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We enjoyed a four night stay in the centrally-located and historic Burnham, a recent conversion of the iconic late 19c Reliance Building, a Kimpton hotel and an architectural gem. While most of the interior is in fact new build, it reproduces much of the original design. Décor is contemporary and we liked it a lot. The public areas are small.

The in-Loop location is excellent, especially for tourists, as the hotel is close to Millennium Park and the Art Institute, opposite the former Marshall Fields and within walking distance of much of what a visitor will want to see in Chicago.

Room shape and size varies, inevitable in such a conversion. Our ‘King Deluxe’ and its bathroom were disappointingly small (we saw no smaller room on our floor plan and wonder if we were downgraded). But the design was attractive, everything worked and we had a good view of the street without much noise.

Breakfast was a quality table-service offering with a good choice and reasonable value. We had two other meals in the hotel’s Attwood restaurant, both enjoyable. We also appreciated the offer each evening of a complimentary glass of wine in the lobby.

All the staff we met were pleasant and efficient but we didn't test them much. WiFi is free to Kimpton group members. Laundry was good value.

Were it not for the small room, we would grade our experience 5/5. Recommended, especially to tourists - but check your room size in advance (and avoid 301).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank globaltraveller200
Dear Globaltraveller200,

Size does matter! This Historical Landmark was converted into a hotel in 1999, to preserve the beauty of the building we did not adjust the office sizes. Sorry! What a wonderful review at your stay at the Hotel Burnham a Kimpton Hotel! You sharing the highlights of your stay on Tripadvisor is amazing. We really appreciate your support and recongnition of the staff and services provided during your stay. It is very important to us that we make you feel as comfortable as possible and create an one of a kind experience that you can share with your friends and family so they want to stay with us also. We look forward to your return for another unique and exciting stay.

On behalf of the Management and Staff of the Hotel Burnham.....Thank you for your review.

Anchorage, AK
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Fantastic stay. I arrived early on a Friday, after signing up to be an In Touch member. I asked for a high floor room, and said I'd have been flying all night and hoped for early check in. My needs were sweetly accommodated. I was able to check in early when I arrived and take a nap, then spent a fantastic afternoon riding a Burnham Hotel Public bike up the Lake Shore trail. I had a room on the 14th floor, room 1409 with a view of the Chicago theater and the Joffrey Ballet practice rooms. I had the opportunity to see elite Joffrey ballet students in training. The Burnham is close to Chicago's cultural icons. In fact, the hotel itself is a cultural icon. Read the architectural history, it was designed by the Chicago 5, including Daniel Burnham and Charles Atwood. Staying here is a chance to see and experience one of the few architectural gems available to visitors in Chicago. It is a quick, direct and extremely easy train ride from Ohare, for $5.00. Compare that to a taxi or shuttle fare, and consider that if you are traveling into the city during rush hour, you will actually arrive sooner than if you paid for a taxi. I had a fabulous dinner at the hotel's restaurant. It wasn't inexpensive. And I admit, I'm not a foodie, but it was beyond words. The subtle flavors thrilled me. and consider this. I was traveling alone, and felt safe and welcome. I was welcomed when I returned each day, and offered a glass of wine if it was between 5 and 6. If you have a chance, stay here!

Dear MarciaAK,

Thank for the GREAT recommendation. What a wonderful review at your stay at the Hotel Burnham a Kimpton Hotel! You sharing the highlights of your stay on Tripadvisor is amazing. We really appreciate your support and recongnition of the staff and services provided during your stay. It is very important to us that we make you feel as comfortable as possible and create an one of a kind experience that you can share with your friends and family so they want to stay with us also. We look forward to your return for another unique and exciting stay.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed September 26, 2013

First off: join the Kimpton loyalty program (http://www.kimptonhotels.com/intouch/KITNewGuest.aspx) that you don’t have to pay the Internet connectivity surcharge (plus you get $10 bucks free from the hotel mini-bar!).

Here's my .02: During a recent business trip, I stayed in an executive suite at this property, essentially two rooms divided by glass-paned French doors. The furniture and decor were vintage-looking and utterly charming.

However, having been on the road for more days than I am typically am, I was seeking features a little lower on Maslow's hierarchy of needs, to wit:

1. Heat - I prefer being able to control the temperature in my hotel rooms, but at the Hotel Burnham, there is nothing one can do to override the hotel-wide settings, according to a call placed to the front desk.
2. Light - There is also extremely low wattage lighting throughout which may require you to stand by the gorgeous bay windows to apply makeup, etc.
3. Electrical outlets - A surge protector on the desk provides outlets for six cords, but this is only is sufficient for one person's needs (at least in my family). None of the other outlets could charge my iPhone. If you're traveling with a companion, you may need to juggle for charging access.

On the plus side:

1. Free coffee in the lobby in a.m.
2. Free wine from 5 - 6 p.m. in lobby (never managed to get to that, though)
3. Big warm bathrobes
4. Yoga mat in room
5. Exercise room with free weights, 2 treadmills, elliptical trainer, stationary bike and hula hoops (no kidding)
6. Extremely cordial and gracious staff
7. Prompt room service - I ordered a chicken salad sandwich and received it within 15 minutes

2 Thank CoolAZMom
Dear CoolAZmom,

We have heard your concerns and now we are working on them.... What a wonderful review at your stay at the Hotel Burnham a Kimpton Hotel! You sharing the highlights of your stay on Tripadvisor is amazing. We really appreciate your support and recongnition of the staff and services provided during your stay. It is very important to us that we make you and your family as comfortable as possible and create an one of a kind experience that you can share with your friends and family so they want to stay with us also. We look forward to your return for another unique and exciting stay.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Great hotel. Stayed for a business trip, but would be back for a couples getaway in a heartbeat. Classic older building with all the charm, but updated nicely so it still felt modern and clean. The room was spacious (nice treat, have stayed at some great older hotels in Boston which felt like closets), very high ceilings. Loved the location, blocks from great restaurants. Conveniences like Starbucks, pharmacy and grocery right around the corner. Millennium Park and the Lake were just a quick walk away. We took a cab, but colleagues found the metro just as easy. Good, friendly service.

Room Tip: I had an awesome room, with huge windows out onto the street. Highly recommend (#203 I think). If I...
Green Features: hmmm ... like that they (like most) had provision to hold onto towels, etc that I could use one more time.
Dear Jason L,

We are looking for your return visit, soon...What a wonderful review at your stay at the Hotel Burnham a Kimpton Hotel! You sharing the highlights of your stay on Tripadvisor is amazing. We really appreciate your support and recongnition of the staff and services provided during your stay. It is very important to us that we make you as comfortable as possible and create an one of a kind experience that you can share with your friends and family so they want to stay with us also. We look forward to your return for another unique and exciting stay.