“Why Stay at Any Other Hotel in Chicago??”

The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #17 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I just returned from three nights at The Burnham -- a business trip -- and I could not be more pleased. Run. Do not walk to this hotel.
HOTEL: As you will read here, The Burnham is a modern renovation of an historic doctor's office building. So it has high ceilings, lots of wood paneling, and "old world" charm. But it is not stuffy or snobbish. The Burnham has modern ease and style and colors. It is definitely not one of those "I could be anywhere in the world" hotel chains.
ROOM: I got lucky -- Room 903, a corner room. The sleeping area was spacious with a firm bed. The seating area was spacious, too, with a comfortable couch. The bath needed a grab bar; but it was only slightly smaller than my bathroom at home in Boston. Two TV's, three phones -- slightly overkill!
SERVICE: The doormen opened the doors for me! Darnell at the front desk was welcoming and efficient. Everyone asked if he or she could do anything more to make my stay comfortable. Listen, Mr. Manager, increase the salary of these people. You don't want them to leave. They are an invaluable asset. Priceless.
CAFE ATWOOD RESTAURANT: Erin, the morning hostess, greeted me each day with much cheer and her own special style -- a cloche hat. Charming and individual. The chef produced perfect eggs and toast, the same breakfast I get when I travel. it has NEVER been better. In addition, the chef produces his own raspberry jam (almost as good as my wife's) and his own sparkling water (better than San Pellegrino, which I've been drinking for thirty years).
A reviewer accused the hotel of writing these reviews. NOT. NOT. NOT. I am an independent consultant who travels five times a year. No more Marriott for me.
Why would anyone stay at another hotel in Chicago?

Room Tip: I gather that rooms above the eighth floor are better than rooms on the lower floors.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Dale D
BurnhamGM, General Manager at The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Dear Mr. Dale D,

Thank you very much for the wonderful review of the Hotel Burnham. We pride of ourselves on getting it right. It sound like we made a great connection with you. We are so happy to hear that you were impressed with the Historical Reliance Building and that we lived up to the Kimpton Standards as well as your expectations. Glad we could get you on an upper floor and corner room. Hope to see you again soon. Thank you again for a fantastic review.

1-312-782-1111

Write a ReviewReviews (1,866)

Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Was here for a business trip. The hotels rooms were very nicely decorated and the service was great. Bed was super comfortable. Love the wine happy hour for guests. Bathroom was a bit small. Overall very nice but not luxury

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank RadlerGreatNeck_NY

Dear RadlerGreatNeck,

Thank you very much for the wonderful review of the Hotel Burnham. We pride of ourselves on getting it right. We are so happy to hear that you were impressed with the Historical Reliance Building and that we lived up to the Kimpton Standards as well as your expectations. The original building was an office space so some of the room can get a little cozy. Hope to see you again soon. Thank you again for a fantastic review.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

This is one of the most interesting historical restorations I've ever seen - and it's a great hotel, too! When you get off the elevator, you're in the most amazing spaces - the old cast iron stairs, the half glass doors on the 'offices' (frosted for privacy and double paned) - you're transported to another era. The rooms are charming and eclectic; the beds are typical Kimpton luxe, and the furnishings a cross between hip and period pieces. We had a small room with a GREAT view. In a city with wonderful boutique hotels, this is very distinctive and very charming. Also worth noting is the amazing location - just a couple of blocks to Millennium Park, in an area of great bars and restaurants.

Room Tip: The view facing north is lovely - some great architecture, including Marina Towers and the new Trump...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mark S

Dear Mr. Markini,

Thank you very much for the wonderful review of the Hotel Burnham. We pride of ourselves on getting it right. We are so happy to hear that you were impressed with the Historical Reliance Building and that we lived up to the Kimpton Standards as well as your expectations. Hope to see you again soon. Thank you again for a fantastic review. The History of the building make is special..... The first steel framed skyscraped in Chicago.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

My wife and I spent 3 nights at this hotel in early September for an extended weekend getaway. We stayed in a Queen room on the 15th floor overlooking the iconic Chicago sign and the beautiful architectural skyline of the financial district. Although the room is compact, it was well-appointed, with luxury linens and a marble-topped desk. The room had an ample supply of outlets to make recharging tech gadgets hassle free. Service was great all around, with several nice touches, such as free bike rentals, nightly cocktail hour, complimentary flavored water and ice tea available to guests all day and coffee and tea each morning. It’s within walking distance of Millennium Park, the Chicago Cultural Center and the Magnificent Mile, in addition to several noteworthy shops (the iconic Marshall Fields aka Macy’s) and restaurants (Toni’s Patisserie, Pastoral, Wildberry Cafe and Rosebud Prime – among others). The building itself is beautiful in its own right, with much of its original architectural details restored. While we didn’t get a chance to dine in the hotel’s restaurant for a main meal, we did indulge in dessert and coffee one evening. If this is any indication of the quality of the food offered, you might want to put the Atwood Cafe on your culinary list.

All and all, the Burnham hotel is an excellent value for the price whether you’re visiting Chicago for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mctp

Dear MCTP,

Thank you very much for the wonderful review of the Hotel Burnham. We pride of ourselves on getting it right. We are so happy to hear that you were impressed with the Historical Reliance Building and that we lived up to the Kimpton Standards as well as your expectations. Hope to see you again soon. Thank you again for a fantastic review. Atwood Cafe is definitely on my culinary list, the food is outstanding.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Had a great stay here for a one-night getaway. This was a standard Queen room on the 12th floor, facing State Street. You can hear the El but it's not bothersome. Great views.

Room was small but comfortable for two guests. Good size bathroom with a tub. All the linens, furnishings, fixtures, etc. were great. A small desk with great lighting was perfect, should you be visiting for work. Above average all around.

The staff was pleasant and attentive. Offered great recognition for a special event we were visiting for. Complimentary evening wine reception and morning coffee was well-staffed and maintained.

Did not visit the gym due to short stay.

Room Tip: Rooms in the northeast corner have a view east over Millenium Park to Lake Michigan, and north down...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cliff_rock
BurnhamGM, General Manager at The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Cliff_Rock,

Thank you for giving us a try. We are delighted that your stay was a surprise and delight. We are so happy to hear that you were impressed with the staff and services provided in the Historical Reliance Building and that we lived up to the Kimpton Standards as well as your expectations. Hope to see you again soon. Thank you again for a fantastic review.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

This hotel is super easy to get to from O'Hare. It is in a great location, just a few blocks to Millennium Park & The Art Institute. Conveniently located near many shops, pharmacies, Target store, etc. The guest service at this hotel is amazing. Quick check in and real care in ensuring the guest experience is good. I checked out of the hotel and 2 hours later realized I had left my iPad on the bed. I called right away and talked to Sean who remembered checking me out. He worked with his housekeeping department immediately and got back to me right away to reassure me that he had my iPad. When I came back to the hotel an hour later, he recognized me and greeted me by name. It's because of people like Sean and the service that I get at the Burnham that I will continue to stay here when I am in town. I have stayed at some of the big chains like the Hilton Palmer House and there is no comparison. The Hotel Burnham really cares about creating the best experience for their guests. Their people make the difference.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a northern view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear Biztraveler211,

Thank you for giving us a try and yes the STAFF make the difference. We are delighted that your experience at the Hotel Burnham exceeds the competition. We are so happy to hear that you were impressed with the staff and services provided in the Historical Reliance Building and that we lived up to the Kimpton Standards as well as your expectations. Hope to see you again soon. Thank you again for a fantastic review.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I was in Chicago for one night for a convention. Originally I had asked my travel booker to put me in the same hotel as the convention but the convention hotel was fully booked so a reservation was made for me at the Burnham Hotel instead. So my discovery of this boutique hotel was a chance finding in my case. I did not know what to expect, but had I had any before going in they would have all been met and exceeded. The hotel itself is located in the Loop District and anything you could possibly want is readily available within walking distance. The hotel staff were exceptional and always on hand and helpful no matter what the request was. There is a neat little restaurant in the hotel lobby that is worth trying. The building itself is an interesting building with character--as pictures of the hotel will show. I would suggest that if possible leave the car behind and use the public transit. You don't need a car to do it and in the end having it will only cost you more without gaining any function. After my brief stay at the Burnham I know I want to return for a longer stay with my wife.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business