“Amazing building, wonderful hotel”

The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #25 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 12, 2013

This is one of the most interesting historical restorations I've ever seen - and it's a great hotel, too! When you get off the elevator, you're in the most amazing spaces - the old cast iron stairs, the half glass doors on the 'offices' (frosted for privacy and double paned) - you're transported to another era. The rooms are charming and eclectic; the beds are typical Kimpton luxe, and the furnishings a cross between hip and period pieces. We had a small room with a GREAT view. In a city with wonderful boutique hotels, this is very distinctive and very charming. Also worth noting is the amazing location - just a couple of blocks to Millennium Park, in an area of great bars and restaurants.

Room Tip: The view facing north is lovely - some great architecture, including Marina Towers and the new Trump...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mark S
BurnhamGM, General Manager at The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Dear Mr. Markini,

Thank you very much for the wonderful review of the Hotel Burnham. We pride of ourselves on getting it right. We are so happy to hear that you were impressed with the Historical Reliance Building and that we lived up to the Kimpton Standards as well as your expectations. Hope to see you again soon. Thank you again for a fantastic review. The History of the building make is special..... The first steel framed skyscraped in Chicago.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

My wife and I spent 3 nights at this hotel in early September for an extended weekend getaway. We stayed in a Queen room on the 15th floor overlooking the iconic Chicago sign and the beautiful architectural skyline of the financial district. Although the room is compact, it was well-appointed, with luxury linens and a marble-topped desk. The room had an ample supply of outlets to make recharging tech gadgets hassle free. Service was great all around, with several nice touches, such as free bike rentals, nightly cocktail hour, complimentary flavored water and ice tea available to guests all day and coffee and tea each morning. It’s within walking distance of Millennium Park, the Chicago Cultural Center and the Magnificent Mile, in addition to several noteworthy shops (the iconic Marshall Fields aka Macy’s) and restaurants (Toni’s Patisserie, Pastoral, Wildberry Cafe and Rosebud Prime – among others). The building itself is beautiful in its own right, with much of its original architectural details restored. While we didn’t get a chance to dine in the hotel’s restaurant for a main meal, we did indulge in dessert and coffee one evening. If this is any indication of the quality of the food offered, you might want to put the Atwood Cafe on your culinary list.

All and all, the Burnham hotel is an excellent value for the price whether you’re visiting Chicago for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mctp

Dear MCTP,

Thank you very much for the wonderful review of the Hotel Burnham. We pride of ourselves on getting it right. We are so happy to hear that you were impressed with the Historical Reliance Building and that we lived up to the Kimpton Standards as well as your expectations. Hope to see you again soon. Thank you again for a fantastic review. Atwood Cafe is definitely on my culinary list, the food is outstanding.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Had a great stay here for a one-night getaway. This was a standard Queen room on the 12th floor, facing State Street. You can hear the El but it's not bothersome. Great views.

Room was small but comfortable for two guests. Good size bathroom with a tub. All the linens, furnishings, fixtures, etc. were great. A small desk with great lighting was perfect, should you be visiting for work. Above average all around.

The staff was pleasant and attentive. Offered great recognition for a special event we were visiting for. Complimentary evening wine reception and morning coffee was well-staffed and maintained.

Did not visit the gym due to short stay.

Room Tip: Rooms in the northeast corner have a view east over Millenium Park to Lake Michigan, and north down...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cliff_rock
BurnhamGM, General Manager at The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Cliff_Rock,

Thank you for giving us a try. We are delighted that your stay was a surprise and delight. We are so happy to hear that you were impressed with the staff and services provided in the Historical Reliance Building and that we lived up to the Kimpton Standards as well as your expectations. Hope to see you again soon. Thank you again for a fantastic review.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

This hotel is super easy to get to from O'Hare. It is in a great location, just a few blocks to Millennium Park & The Art Institute. Conveniently located near many shops, pharmacies, Target store, etc. The guest service at this hotel is amazing. Quick check in and real care in ensuring the guest experience is good. I checked out of the hotel and 2 hours later realized I had left my iPad on the bed. I called right away and talked to Sean who remembered checking me out. He worked with his housekeeping department immediately and got back to me right away to reassure me that he had my iPad. When I came back to the hotel an hour later, he recognized me and greeted me by name. It's because of people like Sean and the service that I get at the Burnham that I will continue to stay here when I am in town. I have stayed at some of the big chains like the Hilton Palmer House and there is no comparison. The Hotel Burnham really cares about creating the best experience for their guests. Their people make the difference.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a northern view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear Biztraveler211,

Thank you for giving us a try and yes the STAFF make the difference. We are delighted that your experience at the Hotel Burnham exceeds the competition. We are so happy to hear that you were impressed with the staff and services provided in the Historical Reliance Building and that we lived up to the Kimpton Standards as well as your expectations. Hope to see you again soon. Thank you again for a fantastic review.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I was in Chicago for one night for a convention. Originally I had asked my travel booker to put me in the same hotel as the convention but the convention hotel was fully booked so a reservation was made for me at the Burnham Hotel instead. So my discovery of this boutique hotel was a chance finding in my case. I did not know what to expect, but had I had any before going in they would have all been met and exceeded. The hotel itself is located in the Loop District and anything you could possibly want is readily available within walking distance. The hotel staff were exceptional and always on hand and helpful no matter what the request was. There is a neat little restaurant in the hotel lobby that is worth trying. The building itself is an interesting building with character--as pictures of the hotel will show. I would suggest that if possible leave the car behind and use the public transit. You don't need a car to do it and in the end having it will only cost you more without gaining any function. After my brief stay at the Burnham I know I want to return for a longer stay with my wife.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank cicnavi

Dear Cicnavi,

Reviewed September 5, 2013

W stayed here for 3 nights.
We took the metra from O 'Hare and got off at Lake as advised. It was a short walk to the hotel with no stAirs using this route.
We had a fantastic room on the 12th floor from which we could see the L, Millenium Park and Lake Michigan in the distance. Brilliant. We had a king bed non suite room which was big enough. There is a minbar with space for you to add items.
With their guest scheme you have free wi fi and 10$ credit in the minibar.
We had a continental package deal and breakfast included coffee, fresh orange juice and fruit and toast / jam. Each morning there is coffee in the lobby and in the early evening there is a wine reception. Nothing fancy but a glass of wine was a great way to start the evening. I think there iis always iced water in the lobby.
The location is good, next to a number of stores including macys, Walgreen and a pret a manger a couple of minutes a way.
It's a five minute walk maybe to Millenium Park and the Chicago Cultiral Centre ( do visit). We could walk to the boat tour and art institute,
And they have A few bikes you can borrow. We cycled up the shore of Michigan Lake. The city bit was scary but there is a good bike trail by the lake and you get to see the city from another perspective.
Highly recommend this hotel. Staff all helpful and rooms kept clean

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bettyUK

Dear BettyUK,

Reviewed September 5, 2013

We spent a long weekend in Chicago with our teenage son and thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Burnham! This charming, historical hotel designed by its namesake, Daniel Burnham, is beautifully preserved with some of the original mosaic floors and period appointments and decor. It is conveniently located within the "loop," in close proximity to Millennium Park and other tourist attractions. The staff are very friendly, extremely helpful and really made us feel welcome and at home. The happy hour between 5 and 6 PM with free wine is a lovely touch and provides guests a chance to meet and mingle. While you can hear the "el" from the rooms, this did not disturb our sleep at all. We enjoyed staying away from the very crowded miracle mile.

I'd give this hotel a 4+. My reasons for not giving a 5 star review: We stayed in an executive suite which I found to be a bit small for the 3 of us but it would be perfect for a couple. Our son slept in the living room area on a roll-away bed and the French doors dividing the bedroom and living room areas had a transparent curtain that did not provide privacy. This hotel is pet-friendly. I'm not a dog person so I did not love seeing dogs in the lobby but on the very positive side the pet-free floors really are pet free. I have asthma and had no trouble at all during our stay.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank JilliConnecticut

Dear Jilliconnecticut,

We loved your review. Thank you very much for the wonderful 4 star review on Tripadvisor. We pride of ourselves on getting it right. We are so happy to hear that you were impressed with the Historical Reliance Building and that we lived up to the Kimpton Standards as well as your expectations. The opportunies you listed have been noted. Hope to see you again soon. Thank you again for a fantastic review.