“Excellent hotel full of character and charm”

The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #26 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Brisbane, Australia
“Excellent hotel full of character and charm”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed in Chicago for six nights and after researching accommodation options on the Internet I chose the Hotel Burnham at 1 W Washington Street. Well, I can honestly say we were not disappointed with our choice. We were greeted by a lovely girl at Reception who checked us in without any trouble and our bags were quickly whisked away to our room. A couple of days before our arrival we were sent a confirmation email and an option to upgrade our room. We were given three options in relation to upgrades and chose all three although it was only on the condition that an upgrade was available at check-in. We were given an upgrade from a standard hotel room to a Kingsize Suite for an extra $75 per night which we were very happy to accept as we were staying for six nights so we wanted room to move. The suite was a corner suite and the bedroom had a window facing down State Street and another window facing down Washington Street with a fantastic view, particularly at night. The bed was very comfortable (one of our must haves) and we were also given free Wifi during our stay which is also another must have for us as we like to be able to contact home when we're away. The location of the Hotel Burnham in Chicago is brilliant. It's a 10 minute walk to most of the theatres and a short walk to Millennium Park. Macy's is directly across the road as is The Gap Store. Walgreens is right next door which is handy if you run out of toothpaste (which we did one night). We walked everywhere while we were there and it didn't seem like a long trek to very many places. It's a longer walk to the Navy Pier but still easy enough to do. The staff at the Hotel Burnham were amazingly friendly. A handwritten note was sealed in our booking envelope by one of the Reception staff wishing us a lovely stay and to our surprise the next morning when we returned to our room after sight-seeing there was another handwritten note stuck to the bathroom mirror from the cleaning lady wishing us a wonderful stay. There is a complimentary coffee hour each morning in the foyer and a complimentary wine hour each afternoon. The hotel itself is full of character and old charm. The lift was almost always open and ready for the next ride so there was very rarely a long wait to get up to your room. The attention to detail at this hotel is unbelievable. All in all, you can't beat the Hotel Burnham for location, service and style. If you're heading to Chicago for a holiday or a work conference, check out this hotel first. It really is fantastic.

Room Tip: We stayed in a corner suite which gave you a fantastic view from the bedroom down State Street and W...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
BurnhamGM, General Manager at The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Linda B,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the Hotel Burnham. THE VIEW IS AMAZING, from the corner suite. We pride ourselves on providing the best customer service. The Staff is the best part of the stay for me! The staff is always happy to do whatever it takes to make our guest feel like they are at home. Make sure you stay with us the next time you are in Chicago. Thanks again and make sure to come back soon.

312-782-1111

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Yes the rooms are a little small, but it is a 100+ year old historic building that has been converted into a hotel, so I think they did a great job with the space they had to work with. The location is in the heart of everything. The staff was amazingly outgoing for a big city hotel. Everyone seemed legitimately concerned with making our stay as enjoyable as possible. The room was clean, and well appointed, and the mini bar was one of the best stocked I have ever seen. This hotel exceeded my expectations, and will be where I stay whenever I visit!

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Djmitchfortune,

Your 5 Star review really made us feel good! Thank you for staying and sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. This historical landmark is really a gem and we love it. We are very proud that the building was not destroyed but renovation as the Beautiful Hotel Burnham. Please tell all your friends and family about the Hotel Burnham. We hope to see you again soon.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Stayed for business. Happened to check in during a free wine reception and was handed a class of cab as I headed up to my room. The room was compact, but had killer views and was very comfortable. The location was great.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Seattleite2013
Dear Seattleeite2013,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor. I'm glad to hear that your room was clean with an excellent view. We are so happy that we were able to make a good impression on you. After a long day of travel, we though it would be nice for you to relax with a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon. We hope this experience is one that you can share with friends and friend. We would like them to experience the Hotel Burnham so they can have a story to share also. Thanks again for the great feedback .

312-782-1111 Phone
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 12, 2013

The Burnham is an architecturally significant building, with updated rooms but an "original" look to the hallways that will either charm you or else strike you as peculiar. The front desk was not up to the task of processing my reservation, and the room was not ready by check-in time. But apologies were issued, and in general the staff is cheerful and tries its best. Rooms are small but comfortable. Don't count on that hearty room service breakfast, since early in the day, and on weekends, the kitchen is unaccountably 'closed' and the offerings are limited. The Atwood Cafe, in the hotel lobby, offers a range of good quality items, very capably served. This is a good hotel choice for someone who wants a State Street location and something other than a standard chain hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side of the hotel face another building. Ask for a view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
BurnhamGM, General Manager at The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Jean T,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. I'm glad to hear you were comfortable at Hotel Burnham. We are so happy that we were able to make a good impression on you. Please share your experience with your friends and family we want to wow them also. Thanks again for the great feedback .

Chandler, AZ
Reviewed June 10, 2013

As a former resident of Chicago, I primarily chose the Burnham for its location. Even if that had been its only good point I would have been happy. However, the staff was WONDERFUL! They were very helpful.

The amenities at the Burnham are great. If you want to bicycle around town, no need to rent one because the Burnham has some you can borrow.

The room was very clean and, despite what some reviewers have stated, quite spacious. We didn't have a suite but the King Deluxe is a great room.

I would enthusiastically recommend the Burnham to anyone who asks. As a matter of fact, I already have.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Wendi_G,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the Hotel Burnham. We pride ourselves on providing the best customer service. The Staff is Wonderful! , Liz, Darnell, Jean-Luc & Vane all come with impeccable quality. I’m not sure what I would do without them. The staff is always happy to do whatever it takes to make our guest feel like family. Make sure you stay with us the next time you are in Chicago. Thanks again and make sure to come back soon.

Suffolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

This is our last night at this hotel following a short stay in Chicago (our first visit). I'm very pleased we chose this hotel as it was within easy walking distance of the Millennium Park for the Blues Festival and the water and river fronts and it couldn't be easier for the train to O'Hare airport.

We had a very comfortable bed with all the amenities you'd expect in a good hotel room. There wasn't a lot of space for all our luggage, but we've managed fine.

The service is very friendly and nothing appears to be too much trouble. We like a cup of tea in the morning and were very pleased that a water boiler and cups were provided on request (we had brought English tea bags with us). We enjoyed the wine in the lobby from 5pm and the coffee available in the mornings. We joined the hotel and benefited from the free wifi. All in all, it's been a pleasant experience and I would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Suffolk_Day_Tripper,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the Hotel Burnham. We pride ourselves on providing the best customer service. The Staff is Wonderful! The staff is always happy to do whatever it takes to make our guest feel like family. Make sure you stay with us the next time you are in Chicago. Thanks again and make sure to come back soon.

hawaii
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Pleasantly surprised by my stay here! I've always preferred to stay on Michigan Avenue, but I think the Burnham has converted me to the Loop! I'll definitely return.

The property is located right next door to a Walgreen's. It's in the middle of State Street shopping, a short walk to the theatres and extremely convenient to many major national business offices.

The staff was excellent - helpful with everything I needed from finding a yoga class to show tickets. Darnell was on shift for my entire stay and provided top notch service Liz had my hotel key waiting for me when I returned from my afternoon run. (BTW, the property still uses keys, not key cards) They were helpful in obtaining a last minute town car to the airport.

While the rooms were not mansions, it was sufficient for a solo business traveler. It would have been ok for two travelers, without large luggage. There was ample counter space in the bathroom and a functional work desk with multiple outlets. Free wifi only for loyalty club members!

Breakfast at the restaurant was quick, generous and didn't break the bank. Probably the best oatmeal I've had in a long time.

I'll be back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank la808
Dear La808,

Aloha! From the Windy City... Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. I'm glad to hear the you enjoyed your time at the Hotel Burnham. We are so happy that we were able to make a good impression on you. Please share your experience with your friends and family, we want to wow them also. We are looking to refresh the guest room in late December; I hope you can return after all is completed. Thanks again for the great feedback.