“Brilliant location, comfortable room, great service”

The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #25 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Suffolk, United Kingdom
“Brilliant location, comfortable room, great service”
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

This is our last night at this hotel following a short stay in Chicago (our first visit). I'm very pleased we chose this hotel as it was within easy walking distance of the Millennium Park for the Blues Festival and the water and river fronts and it couldn't be easier for the train to O'Hare airport.

We had a very comfortable bed with all the amenities you'd expect in a good hotel room. There wasn't a lot of space for all our luggage, but we've managed fine.

The service is very friendly and nothing appears to be too much trouble. We like a cup of tea in the morning and were very pleased that a water boiler and cups were provided on request (we had brought English tea bags with us). We enjoyed the wine in the lobby from 5pm and the coffee available in the mornings. We joined the hotel and benefited from the free wifi. All in all, it's been a pleasant experience and I would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
BurnhamGM, General Manager at The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Suffolk_Day_Tripper,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the Hotel Burnham. We pride ourselves on providing the best customer service. The Staff is Wonderful! The staff is always happy to do whatever it takes to make our guest feel like family. Make sure you stay with us the next time you are in Chicago. Thanks again and make sure to come back soon.

312-782-1111

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
hawaii
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Pleasantly surprised by my stay here! I've always preferred to stay on Michigan Avenue, but I think the Burnham has converted me to the Loop! I'll definitely return.

The property is located right next door to a Walgreen's. It's in the middle of State Street shopping, a short walk to the theatres and extremely convenient to many major national business offices.

The staff was excellent - helpful with everything I needed from finding a yoga class to show tickets. Darnell was on shift for my entire stay and provided top notch service Liz had my hotel key waiting for me when I returned from my afternoon run. (BTW, the property still uses keys, not key cards) They were helpful in obtaining a last minute town car to the airport.

While the rooms were not mansions, it was sufficient for a solo business traveler. It would have been ok for two travelers, without large luggage. There was ample counter space in the bathroom and a functional work desk with multiple outlets. Free wifi only for loyalty club members!

Breakfast at the restaurant was quick, generous and didn't break the bank. Probably the best oatmeal I've had in a long time.

I'll be back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank la808
Dear La808,

Aloha! From the Windy City... Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. I'm glad to hear the you enjoyed your time at the Hotel Burnham. We are so happy that we were able to make a good impression on you. Please share your experience with your friends and family, we want to wow them also. We are looking to refresh the guest room in late December; I hope you can return after all is completed. Thanks again for the great feedback.

New York City, New York
Reviewed June 4, 2013

For the first time in all my travels, I arrived at my hotel on the wrong day! My booking for Hotel Burnham was actually for the day before my arrival, and I had not noticed that error in my travel documents. The room and reservation had been released as I was a no-show. The staff at the front desk could not have been more calm and helpful. It was a very busy weekend in Chicago, but they found me a room and the manager agreed to do the paperwork necessary with Hotels.com to get it straightened out. They were lovely about it.

Now, as for the hotel....I'm am so glad that my booking there worked out, because it is the perfect location in Chicago and the rest of the staff is just as great. Darnell at the desk was so amazingly helpful with everything. When I asked him to put something in the outgoing mail, he said, "The mail carrier has already come today. I'll drop it at the post office on my way home."

The hotel is lovely and historic, and our room was beautiful and comfortable and looked out on State Street. Our housekeeper swooped in and cleaned the room even if we were only out for a couple of hours. The location is fantastic. Right across the street from Macy's State Street, a couple of blocks from Millennium Park,and surrounded by fabulous restaurants and stores.

Note: you can also easily take the blue line train from O'Hare to the Washington Street stop, which is actually in the little mall right across the street from the hotel. No traffic issues and the ride is only $5.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank jsoxy
Dear JSoxy,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. I'm excited to hear that the staff was able to get you in the hotel and work out the details with the third party. We are so happy that we were able to make a good impression on you. Please share your experience with your friends and family ,we want to wow them also. We are look forward to your next visit. Thanks again for the great feedback.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

The Burnham continues to excel in every possible way. The decor, the location-nothing compares. The people, they are the difference...Liz, Jean-Luc, Edwin, Darnell, Liz, Ben, my international buddy Vane; they are the ones, and many more, who make you feel you're at home. You've now met the best of the best!

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Craig R
BurnhamGM, General Manager at The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Craig R,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the Hotel Burnham. We pride ourselves on providing the best customer service. The Staff is Wonderful! Ben, Liz, Darnell, Jean-Luc & Vane all come with impeccable quality. I’m not sure what I would do without them. The staff is always happy to do whatever it takes to make our guest feel like family. Make sure you stay with us the next time you are in Chicago. Thanks again and make sure to come back soon.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the King on the 2nd floor for a Memorial Day weekend get-away. The bed was super comfortable, but the room was too small to fit two people and their stuff comfortably. Also, you could see a little wear and tear around the edges - like the bathroom wallpaper for example. The exterior, lobby and elevators were all beautiful and offered SOOOO much more charm than a large hotel chain could have.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MBrenner214,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. I'm glad to hear the you enjoyed your Memorial Day at the Hotel Burnham. We are so happy that we were able to make a good impression on you. Please share your experience with your friends and family we want to wow them also. We are looking to refresh the guest room in late December; I hope you can return after all is completed. Thanks again for the great feedback.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

The room itself was quite small, but I'm not complaining...I don't need a huge room on vacation. I didn't go to Chicago to hang out in the room. The room was very clean, the staff was friendly and helpful, and the hotel was centrally-located with a great view. The hotel also has a lot of history, and the floor I was on (the 9th) still has the original wood and marble. I'd love to stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear BoCyphers,

We are so excited that you chose to stay at the Hotel Burnham. Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. And we are even more delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Our staff is fantastic and we are lucky to have them. The history of the building actually brings everything alive. Please come to visit the hotel again soon. You are welcomed back anytime you like.

Chicago
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I booked a one night stay at the Burnham when my sister came to town to see the Book of Morman. We were also celebrating her upcoming birthday. I let them know of that when I booked the room and when we checked in they wished her a Happy Birthday and had flowers and a card for her in the room. They also gave us a bottle of wine. Needless to say my sister was thrilled. Everyone was really nice, it was a wonderful stay and I would highly recommend it. The location is also great, right in the heart of the theater district and close to the Art Institute.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear Gmonie,

Thank you very much for taking time out to share your Kimpton-Hotel Burnham experience on TripAdvisor. We are very excited to hear that you sister enjoyed her birthday and the Book of Mormon’s. What an awesome Birthday she had. We love having you with us and really appreciate your feedback. On your next special occasion, please chose Hotel Burnham, you won’t be disappointed. Thanks again.