“Amazing Hotel, amazing staff, and a very enjoyable experience.”

The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #26 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

Wow, what can I say, this place is awesome! The staff is kind and courteous, room service was great, location is on point, big shout out to Darnell at the front desk, he is a great dude and a great employee, the hotel is an awesome place and I will be staying there again, the concierge at the hotel was awesome, she knew all the answers!

• Stayed: May 2013
BurnhamGM, General Manager at The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear Tgiles78,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the Hotel Burnham. We pride ourselves on providing the best customer service. Darnell is awesome! I’m not sure what we would do without him. The staff is always happy to do whatever it take to make our guest feel welcome. Your five star review is very appreciated. Thanks again and make sure to come back soon.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed two nights in this hotel. The location is great and most attractions are close. The room was very small, but I guess that is the price of location. Overall, it was not a good value. I think we could have gotten a much cheaper hotel and still been close to the things we wanted to see. The history and hosted wine reception didn't add any value for us. Jean-Luc at the front desk is awesome and he provided great service and advice. However, the hotel didn't really stand out. I would look for another hotel if we visited again.

Dear Ktaylor2319,

Thank you very much for taking time out to share your Kimpton-Hotel Burnham experience on TripAdvisor. We love having you with us and really appreciate your feedback. It's an honor to hear that the Jean Luc met your expectations. Thanks again.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

If you enjoy cookie cutter properties, this isn't the place for you. But if you enjoy unique, historic properties then you will enjoy the Burnham. This building is unique because the ceilings are ridiculously high with giant windows that let in lots of light. Unlike most hotels, the blinds are semi-transparent so you can enjoy the lovely view without sacrificing privacy. I also like that they will put a goldfish in your room upon request. Bedding is Frette, bath stuff Bigelow. Kimpton is always pretty cool about having a whole ton of stuff you can use at no charge if you need it. Staff is superb. In fact, Jack is one of the nicest people I've ever encountered at a hotel. He actually went next door to get me a cup of coffee after normal morning coffee hours instead of directing me to the starbucks. I overheard a concierge talking to a couple and she had multiple options for them lined up. It really felt like home there. How many times have we all stayed at a 4-5 star hotel only to have the call to housekeeping go unanswered, or a simple request take forever, if ever? Not here. It's the little things that matter, and they've mastered this.

Dear Bermuda_Explorer,

We are so excited that you chose to stay at the Hotel Burnham. Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. And we are even more delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Our staff is fantastic and we are lucky to have them. The history of the building actually brings everything alive. Please come to visit the hotel again soon.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

The best in hotel in Chicago. Top of the line service and unbeatable historical charm. I mentioned to the front desk that we were there to celebrate our anniversary and when we returned to the room, there was a complimentary bottle of champagne waiting for us when we returned to the room from a night out. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

1  Thank Larry D

Dear Larry D,

We couldn't ask for more! Thank you very much for this raving review. We want to wish you a Happy Anniversary!!!!!! It sound like we didn't disappoint. We can not wait to see you again. Please remember to stay at the Hotel Burnham for all of your special occassions and we will not disappoint you. This is a very special building and I'm glad you had to opportunity to experience it. See you soon

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I was in Chicago for business and got this hotel because it was cheaper. This hotel is located at a very convenient shopping area. Nordstrom Rack is literally right downstairs, and Macy's shopping mall is across the street. There's a Target a block away. A restaurant is in the hotel. Walgreens and Lavazza coffee shop are also right next door!

However, customer service is just so-so. I usually can't sleep with firm pillows, so whenever I go to a hotel I always make sure to get a soft pillow. Pillows there were super small (like travel size pillows) and very firm that I couldn't sleep. When I asked for a softer pillow, they were nice enough to bring me one. However, the next day my soft pillow was gone! When I called to ask for it back, they were kinda mean and told me that whatever was in the room was what they had! I said no, yesterday I had one, so could you please check for me because I'll be staying for a week... but they just told me "No, I don't have them." without bothering to check for me! I spent a few minutes on the phone explaining this to them but they didn't help me find one. I ended up having bad neck problems and having sleepless nights.

The restaurant downstairs was expensive and unhealthy... I had dinner there, service was great but when I asked if they had any healthy options, they said "No we don't."

Room was pretty and bathroom was nice though!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank superkathy

Dear SuperKathy,

Reviewed May 8, 2013

The Hotel Burnham is housed in the historic Reliance building, which is an architecturally significant "skyscraper" dating from the 1890's and which was built to house small offices such as those for doctors and dentists. After falling into a state of total disrepair it was carefully restored to its former glory. (Check out the photos and commentary in the State St. lobby). We were lucky enough to stay on the eleventh floor, which apparently contains more of the original design elements than most, including original office doors with mail slots and knobs. The rooms themselves are small but elegantly appointed.

We love Kimptons because each one has this sort of unique personality. And, of course, the Burnam has the usual Kimpton helpful and friendly staff, wine hour, pet friendly policy, and reasonable pricing.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bic20

Dear Bic20,

Wow! we loved your review. Thank you very much for the wonderful 5 star review of the Hotel Burnham. We pride ourselves on getting it right. We are so happy to hear that you were impressed with the Historical Reliance Building and that we lived up to the Kimpton Standard. Hope to see you again soon. Thank you again for a fantastic review.

General Manger

Reviewed May 7, 2013

My room was extremely comfortable and very clean. Handwritten notes from housekeeping and hotel management make it feel very personal. The location is perfect! Tons of shopping within walking distance, all CTA lines are within a few blocks, plenty of dining options too. Bikes are available to rent! There is also complimentary happy hour every day, free personal products if you forget them, and fantastic customer service. I hope I can stay at the Burnham every time I'm in Chicago, and would recommend it to everybody.

Room Tip: Awesome view of State Street if you are facing the north