“Charming hotel, excellent service”

The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #27 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Louisville, KY
“Charming hotel, excellent service”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I've just had my second stay at the Burnham in four years, and I must say, this visit didn't diminish one bit the warm memories I had of the first visit. As before, the front desk and bell staff were friendly and seemed eager to do anything they could to make my stay more pleasant. Food at the restaurant, The Atwood Café, was delicious and imaginative as before (even though there's been a change in chef since my last visit). My room (a corner, "-04" suite) was high enough that street noise was negligible, and was warm and inviting -- especially the very comfortable bed.

Altogether a terrific downtown Chicago hotel -- I'd never consider staying elsewhere!

Room Tip: Choose a high-up corner suite for views and quiet.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
BurnhamGM, General Manager at The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Sue_In_KY,

Thank you very much for this great review. I really appreciate you sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor. Hopefully you get back to Chicago sooner. We are happy we could accommodation you and we looking forward to your next visit.

312-782-1111

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
Essex, UK
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Have stayed here a number of times on business. It's a quirk place - thinks it's a boutique hotel but not entirely sure about that! It's an old building with history - definitely not shiny and new but that's possibly part of its charm. Great bar and restaurant with a good atmosphere in the evenings. Probably worth getting a room away from the lift ("elevator") shaft. Staff are always friendly and efficient, in my experience. I choose it when in Chicago as it's (very) close to my office and it's a bit out of the ordinary.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear Swiss6,

Thank you very much for staying with us when you are in Chicago on business. We are a little bit different from the Big Box hotels but that is exact what we intended to be. We really appreciate your loyalty to the Historical Reliance Building built in 1895 by the city planner Daniel Burnham. This place has a ton of history as well as charm, you see it is the world's first steel frame skyscraper at the time, one of Chicago's tallest buildings.. Need I say more.... We appreciate your loyalty and would love to have you again on your next visit to Chiago.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 30, 2013

The service at the hotel was so wonderful, I had a hard time leaving. What do you mean, in my regular life there's no one to serve me hot chocolate just because it's a cold day? What do you mean, in my regular life I don't get a free hot toddy (or cider or glass of wine) every day around 5? In my regular life, why isn't there someone to helpfully print out menus of places I might want to go whenever I might need them? Can you tell I got spoiled?
Also, the bed was very comfortable, we loved being so close to everything in Downtown Chicago, and Atwood was a lovely restaurant. All-in-all, a perfect long weekend with my husband in Chicago.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hannahcat_11
Dear Hannahcat,

WOW! What and excellent review. What we mean.... is that you deserve to be taken care of and we are the right people to make this part of your stay special. We can continue to spoil you if you want us too. We appreciate your feedback and please share your experience with your friends. We are looking to make more friends.

Best regards,

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

This is a hotel I will definately stay at again! The staff were so friendly and helpful. The rooms were beautifully decorated. The beds were comfortable. The staff went out of their way to make sure it was a great stay. I loved it!

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank J S
Dear J S,

We are always excited to get a outstanding review about the Historical Reliance Building now home of the Hotel Burnham. We are please to hear great feedback about the staff and service provided during your visit, this is what we aim for. Hopefully, we get to have you with us again this year. Thanks again JS....

Ocean, New Jersey
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was our second stay at Hotel Burnham. The first was shortly after it opened and we found it to be fabulous then.We planned to return one day. Many years later we had the same great experience. The staff was exceptional - extremely helpful and friendly, both before arrival and during our stay. Everyone went out of there way to make our stay memorable. (The first time we stayed there, we took the train from the airport to downtown. The stop was only a half block from the hotel. When we departed the doorman asked us if we had a car or could he hail a cab for us. We said, no we were taking the train across the street. He insisted on carrying our bags for us. Now that is service!) The location is ideal for great restaurants and shopping, and Millennium Park is only a few blocks away. We loved the history preserved within the hotel, including the mosaic and the original office doors complete with mail slot. The nightly social by the fire was relaxing and perfect before heading to dinner. The rooms are small but well appointed including the comfortable bed. When in Chicago the only place to stay is the Hotel Burnham. Awesome!

Room Tip: Go for the upper floors for view and history.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KSM4_709
Dear KSM4_709,

What an awesome review! I'm excited to hear that the second stay was as charming as the first. We thank you for being loyal to the Hotel Burnham. If there is a third time around, and you are in the city,make Hotel Burnham your place to stay. Thanks again and we appreciate your kind response. '

Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

I am a business traveler, it's very rare I give a hotel five stars but this hotel was awesome. I highly recommend it. Near shopping and great restaurants. Service was excellent and Atwood cafe was a great place to eat. The rooms are very nice and has you will need.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank travelme79
BurnhamGM, General Manager at The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Travelme79,

Thank you very much for rating the Hotel Burnham 5 Stars! We really appreciate you feedback and is very excited that we could exceed your expectations. Our goal is to give you an experience that is worthy of sharing with your friends and family, so they can stay with us also. I hope we have the opportunity of accommodating you when you are in the Chicago Loop area. Thank again for the awesome review.

1 West Washington Street
Chicago, IL 60602
California
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I stayed at the Burnham on my fifth trip to Chicago in the last couple years. I have stayed at a different four-star hotel on each visit. The Burnham was probably my favorite of the bunch.

The staff was extremely helpful and friendly, and the location can't be beat. Right on the corner of State and Washington with very easy access to the Red and Blue lines.

After reading "The Devil in the White City" I was very interested in seeing some of Burnham and Root's (& Atwood's) work first hand. To have the opportunity to stay in one of their buildings was incredible. The Reliance Building is absolutely beautiful and Kimpton has done a great job of retaining the building's classic charm while adding their own quirky touch.

I didn't have a chance to eat in the hotel restaurant, as there are too many food choices and must-eats in Chicago to being with, but it looked great and seemed to be doing some great business. The upper floors all have the original office building doors with frosted glass and mail slots. I believe they are on the 8th floor and higher. I was on the 10th floor and we had a great view north to the Chicago Theater and the river. The views to the northeast would be great as well.

Our room was small, which is expected in a building this old, but very well decorated and comfortable. The beds and linens were great and having access to a pillow library, made the stay that much more comfortable.

I honestly can't imagine staying anywhere other than the Burnham on my future visits to Chicago. Great place!

Room Tip: The top couple of floors still have the original doors, when this building was an office building. D...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank antzona
BurnhamGM, General Manager at The Alise Chicago - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Antzona,

Thank you for choosing the Hotel Burnham and certainly thank you for the wonderful review. I hear you had an amazing time at The Hotel Burnham. Unfortunatelyt, you did not have an opportunity to dine at the Atwood Cafe but hopefully on your next visit, the food is amazing. The Devil in the White City is an awesome book and we are fortunate to be a part of history. I love hearing that we were able to meet/exceed your expectations. We really appreciate you and on your next visit be sure to stop by Atwood cafe and I will treat you to an appetizer. Daniel Burnham Best City planner ever. We hope to see you again soon. Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor!

1 West Washington Street