“Fabulous Find” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kimpton Burnham Hotel

You added Kimpton Burnham Hotel to your Saves list
Kimpton Burnham Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 W Washington Street, Chicago, IL 60602 (Formerly Hotel Burnham - a Kimpton Hotel) (Downtown / The Loop)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Book Direct: 25% Off!
Ranked #23 of 184 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Ocean, New Jersey
“Fabulous Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was our second stay at Hotel Burnham. The first was shortly after it opened and we found it to be fabulous then.We planned to return one day. Many years later we had the same great experience. The staff was exceptional - extremely helpful and friendly, both before arrival and during our stay. Everyone went out of there way to make our stay memorable. (The first time we stayed there, we took the train from the airport to downtown. The stop was only a half block from the hotel. When we departed the doorman asked us if we had a car or could he hail a cab for us. We said, no we were taking the train across the street. He insisted on carrying our bags for us. Now that is service!) The location is ideal for great restaurants and shopping, and Millennium Park is only a few blocks away. We loved the history preserved within the hotel, including the mosaic and the original office doors complete with mail slot. The nightly social by the fire was relaxing and perfect before heading to dinner. The rooms are small but well appointed including the comfortable bed. When in Chicago the only place to stay is the Hotel Burnham. Awesome!

Room Tip: Go for the upper floors for view and history.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KSM4_709
BurnhamGM, General Manager at Kimpton Burnham Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear KSM4_709,

What an awesome review! I'm excited to hear that the second stay was as charming as the first. We thank you for being loyal to the Hotel Burnham. If there is a third time around, and you are in the city,make Hotel Burnham your place to stay. Thanks again and we appreciate your kind response. '

312-782-1111

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

I am a business traveler, it's very rare I give a hotel five stars but this hotel was awesome. I highly recommend it. Near shopping and great restaurants. Service was excellent and Atwood cafe was a great place to eat. The rooms are very nice and has you will need.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank travelme79
BurnhamGM, General Manager at Kimpton Burnham Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Travelme79,

Thank you very much for rating the Hotel Burnham 5 Stars! We really appreciate you feedback and is very excited that we could exceed your expectations. Our goal is to give you an experience that is worthy of sharing with your friends and family, so they can stay with us also. I hope we have the opportunity of accommodating you when you are in the Chicago Loop area. Thank again for the awesome review.

1 West Washington Street
Chicago, IL 60602
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I stayed at the Burnham on my fifth trip to Chicago in the last couple years. I have stayed at a different four-star hotel on each visit. The Burnham was probably my favorite of the bunch.

The staff was extremely helpful and friendly, and the location can't be beat. Right on the corner of State and Washington with very easy access to the Red and Blue lines.

After reading "The Devil in the White City" I was very interested in seeing some of Burnham and Root's (& Atwood's) work first hand. To have the opportunity to stay in one of their buildings was incredible. The Reliance Building is absolutely beautiful and Kimpton has done a great job of retaining the building's classic charm while adding their own quirky touch.

I didn't have a chance to eat in the hotel restaurant, as there are too many food choices and must-eats in Chicago to being with, but it looked great and seemed to be doing some great business. The upper floors all have the original office building doors with frosted glass and mail slots. I believe they are on the 8th floor and higher. I was on the 10th floor and we had a great view north to the Chicago Theater and the river. The views to the northeast would be great as well.

Our room was small, which is expected in a building this old, but very well decorated and comfortable. The beds and linens were great and having access to a pillow library, made the stay that much more comfortable.

I honestly can't imagine staying anywhere other than the Burnham on my future visits to Chicago. Great place!

Room Tip: The top couple of floors still have the original doors, when this building was an office building. D...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank antzona
BurnhamGM, General Manager at Kimpton Burnham Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Antzona,

Thank you for choosing the Hotel Burnham and certainly thank you for the wonderful review. I hear you had an amazing time at The Hotel Burnham. Unfortunatelyt, you did not have an opportunity to dine at the Atwood Cafe but hopefully on your next visit, the food is amazing. The Devil in the White City is an awesome book and we are fortunate to be a part of history. I love hearing that we were able to meet/exceed your expectations. We really appreciate you and on your next visit be sure to stop by Atwood cafe and I will treat you to an appetizer. Daniel Burnham Best City planner ever. We hope to see you again soon. Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor!

1 West Washington Street
Chicago, IL 60602
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We came to stay at Hotel Burnham for just one night this week, and it was nothing short of exceptional. I chose this hotel for the location to the Bank of America Theater, and because of its reviews. It did not disappoint. We were able to check in early with no issues, the room was on the small side, but very cozy and had everything you could ever want. Bed was comfortable, bathroom was large & beautiful. We did not eat in the hotel restaurant since we were only there for a short while, but every time we came in the lobby it was packed, so I cannot imagine it was anything but delicious. The staff was impeccable, especially Darnell at the front desk. Overall it made our visit to Chicago even more perfect. Thank you Hotel Burnham!

• Stayed January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
BurnhamGM, General Manager at Kimpton Burnham Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
You're welcome, Kgoodrich55! It was our pleasure to have you. We shoot for exceptional, and I am glad that we hit the mark. I assume you went to go see "Book of Mormon", I heard it was amazing! We are so fortunate to be so centrally located near all the theaters, shopping, and parks; I hope you got a chance to enjoy them all! Thank you for remembering Darnell and recognizing him for the impeccable" care he offers all of our guests, we are fortunate to have him. Next time you come to Chicago we hope to have you back here at the Burnham! Please promise you'll try Atwood, as your assumptions about it were correct....it's great food and drink, and you would be hard pressed to find a better dining atmosphere in Chicago!

Thank you for your review, and for calling the Burnham your Windy City home!

Kind regards,

Carbondale, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I started staying at the Burnham about 14 years ago, I believe right after it opened. Until a couple of years ago, I stayed at the Burnham 8 to ten days a year. The rooms are comfortable and the service has always been impeccable. On the few occasions there have been problems with a room or the amenities, the issue has always been resolved quickly after the hotel staff was notified. I stayed at the Burnham last week after a two year hiatus and the service and the accommodations are still first class.

• 5 of 5 stars
Thanks for coming back, Bill_Carbondale_IL! We've missed you. I'm sure you noticed a few new faces, as well as a bunch of familiar ones. We haven't changed our approach to the way we serve our guests, and I am glad that you noticed and still think highly of the Burnham. Hopefully we can have you back before another two years go by!

See you (hopefully) very soon!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

The Burnham is my first choice whenever I come to Chicago. Great service from the doorman, to the front desk and at the Atwood Cafe - which by the way has outstanding food. I always feel welcomed back and the staff go out of their way to make sure you have a great stay. I really enjoy the character and feel of the hotel and restaurant. I highly recommend it!

Dear cjh_60,

I'm so glad that you make the Burnham your favorite hotel in Chicago! We do have the best staff here at the Burnham, and I am so happy they made you feel at home! Thanks for recommending us and for the very nice review.

Kind regards,

Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

This Kimpton hotel located in the heart of the Loop does it right. A clubby atmosphere combines with sincerely friendly staff and clean rooms (with GREAT darkening drapes) to make my stay last week there on business a totally enjoyable experience. I've found that if the staff of a hotel seems happy, the visitors are, too. That seems to be the case here. I would absolutely stay there again.

Room Tip: If you are a Kimpton member, you can get an opportunity to upgrade your room for as little as $19. K...
Dear CorkyMom,

Thank you so much for your review! I'm so glad that you enjoyed our location, hopefully you got a chance to venture out and check out all of the sights. I hope that all went well with your business in Chicago and that we will be able to welcome you back soon!

All the best to you in the New Year!