“Great location for Sports and Nightlife”

Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile
Ranked #65 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed October 5, 2010

Spent two nights here (Sat and Sun). Was in town for a Whitesox and Bears game. Hotel was clean and friendly staff. Concierge was helpful. Has a sports bar next to the lobby. Subway entrance outside front door. Had to take subway to both Whitesox game and Bears game. Felt very safe on subway. After the games, hit some sports bars around the hotel. Streets were lively, bars were fun. Felt very safe walking around the area of the hotel, lots of people on both Sat and Sun night. Also, a lot of restaurant choices around the hotel (all different $$ levels). Hotel is a little pricey (190/night plus 15%). Would definitely recommend the hotel for both its cleanliness and location. Did check for bedbugs (like I do everywhere), found none.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
mlobb1207, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2010

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, we look forward to seeing you the next time you are in town for a game, whether for the Bears, Sox or other event.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,345)

Reviewed September 29, 2010

I am a Hilton Gold member and have stayed in many Hilton Garden Inns. This one was the worst and you are much better off at the Hampton Inn a few blocks away. The front desk staff was too busy socializing to help with check-in, the room was dirty (sheets were dirty and not changed from prior occupant), the walls are thin so the hallway noise is very loud and the walls between rooms are so thin you can hear everything (and I mean everything) happening in the rooms next door. When I went to the restaurant for breakfast the next morning, the wait staff (same problem as the front desk) was too busy socializing among themselves to pour coffee, or otherwise serve guests.
While most Hilton Garden Inns that I have stayed at have been comfortable, clean and with helpful staff, this one needs a great deal of management and improvement.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
chidn, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2010

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience at our hotel. We always appreciate honest feedback from guests and will use this to help improve our product and service. I assure you that the finding our staff socailizing rather than assisting guests is not the norm for our hotel and I am sorry that it happened to you. I understand that you prefer the Hampton Inn when you are in this neighborhood but hope you will give us another chance if you find them full.

Thank you again for taking time to share your thoughts with us.

Sincerely;

Matt Colony
Hotel Manager

Reviewed September 28, 2010

Arriving on September 25th, our entire stay throught September 28 was very good. The Inn is located with in walking distance to many interesting areas in the downtown area. The Red Line subway stop is just across the street whcih we used to get around the Chicago Metro area. Our room was very good the the hotel staff all were great to us. I do not recommend taking a car but use other means of transportation because the rate for keeping your car at the hotel is $44.00 per night. By a Chicago Transit Pass for three days which you can use for the subway or bus is the way to go. The big question is, Would you go back and stay again? YES. With it being downtwon, you do hear the fire department out making their emergency calls throughout the day and evening.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to spread the word about of hotel. Your right, this is a wonderful location to explore Chicago from. The street noise can be a little loud which is why the rooms start on the 13th floor to stay away from the noise as much as we can. We hope to see you back.

Thank you again for your business.

Sincerely;

Matt Colony
Hotel Manager

Reviewed September 24, 2010

I would stay at another Hilton property in Chicago. My favorie is The Drake but other great choices are The Palmer House, Hilton Chicago & Hilton Suites Mag Mile. I wouldn't stay at the Hilton Garden Inn again. My checkin was delayed...they first said 1:30pm (I arrived at 12:15pm). When I came back at 2:15pm they said it would be another 1/2 hour. I complained and they did get me in right away...well sort of, they gave me the wrong room # and the corresponding keys to that persons room!!! Once I got to my own room I found the tv wouldn't work for more than 2 minutes before it lost its signal and blacked out. The heating unit was very loud as well as the hallway was super loud. Paper thin walls and heavy closing doors. I was on the 23rd highest floor so didn't hear street noise. Can't imagine if that would have been a facor too... Stay at The Drake :)

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 9, 2010

For the non-business traveler (assuming money is not unlimited) Hilton Garden Inn is almost always a great choice. It is a bit pricier than the Hampton Hotels but the extra money buys you full hotel service and it is usuallly very good. This hotel was no exception- from the valet parkers to the bell staff and front desk everyone was always eager to help in any way possible.

The rooms are not huge but they are spacious enough. With a few pieces of furniture moved we had a king bed and roll-away bed and still could walk about. The rooms also feature microwave and fridge and that is great when traveling with kids. What's one downside? It has the standard hotel air conditioning that is a bit loud when it runs, especially when you can't get very far away from it. But it was not a big enough deal to stop me from staying there again- just not idea.

And then there's the location: perfect. We never really had to take a cab once we were in town. If you can walk 10-15 minutes you can reach almost everything downtown Chicago has to offer: Navy Pier, Mag Mile, Hancock Center, etc. We have a 3 year old so fine dining was not in the cards but okay-dining was always within reach. The Weber Grill is in the hotel (we didn't eat there but it was always packed). And stocking up on supplies is also easy: nearby are Trader Joe's, Jewel (supermarket), Walgreen's and more - so you could get supplies at reasonable prices.

Willl the Rizt Carlton be threatened by this hotel? No. But we would be hard-pressed to come up with a better option in the affordable hotel class. You get you money's worth in every way.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 8, 2010

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn for 5 nights. No line at check in and we valeted our car, checked in and was in our room within 10 minutes of pulling up to the covered entrance. We had our room serviced every day, we had fresh towels for 3 people every day, we had coffee and sugar packets every day.

The room wasn't small to us, however, we just spent a week on the Carnival Destiny with the same 3 people, including an 18 year old 6'5" boy. Now that was small!

The beds are unbelievably comfortably, weird looking but comfy.

We didn't buy anything from the little room at the front desk cuz it was pricey but did go to the Jewel/Osco grocery store that was around the corner. We thought the restaurant was a little pricey so we went elsewhere to eat.

The valet parking was always ready for us and our car was always delivered promptly. They even gave us quicker directions to the Field Museum then we were going to use.

It is so convenient to everything you don't need a car to get around. There are even movie theaters just down the street. Easy access from I90 both coming into the city and leaving the city.

Didn't have any trouble checking out and my bill exactly matched the quote I received when I made on-line reservations.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank luv2fishpinkColumbus
Reviewed September 6, 2010

We had a couple of issues with this hotel during our stay. Check-In: There was considerable waiting to check the car with the valet, to check the bags with the bellhop, and to check in at the front desk (only to find our room was not ready). Because there appeared to be many others in the lobby also waiting for their rooms, we decided to leave and return later. Unfortunately, the valet had already moved our car and were backed up with other requests. So, we ended up walking. One plus is that the hotel is conveniently located within the heart of the city, and makes for an easy walk to many locations. However, we were traveling with someone who has physical limitations; therefore, easy access to our vehicle would have been more ideal.
Room: The room was smaller than I imagined when looking at hotel photos. Though amenities are offered, not all were stocked. There are no in-room safes and a waiting list for safe deposit boxes, which are located behind the front desk. Our room was only visited by housekeeping once out of the three nights there. There is a coffee maker with coffee in the room. No sugar or cream was provided though. And even though we were subject to additional guest fees (because there were three of us), no additional towels, cups, etc. to accomodate a third person were supplied.
Check-out: You are given the option to review a bill that is slipped under your door the morning of check-out, and if everything is acceptable, you can call a number to have the charges applied to the credit card used to reserve your room. Even though I opted for this Express Check-Out, we ran into another problem once we reached the valet. We called the valet twenty minutes before leaving. Even so, we were forced to wait another ten minutes once downstairs, b/c someone had forgotten our request. When the attendant pulled up with our car, he did not give the key back. He, instead, ran inside the hotel for a moment, then presented another member of my family with a second hotel bill and asked him to sign the authorization. I took the bill and noticed an additional $200 in charges. Even though I had booked & already paid the Valet & Room Package - offered directly through the hotel - I was now being charged duplicate valet fees. I was forced to return to the front desk with the valet attendant and wait behind others, only to have the clerk reiterate to the attendant that I had already paid for both the room and valet on my original bill. Nonetheless, both charges were preauthorized on my card, and I only found out later that the additional funds were unavailable to me until all of the hotel charges were processed properly (which took several days). Furthermore, I wonder how many other guests signed a second slip presented to them, without realizing they were being overcharged. Needless to say, Express Checkout was not a huge success either!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family