“Nice hotel, reasonable rate, clean, great location”

Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile
Ranked #62 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
White Plains, New York
“Nice hotel, reasonable rate, clean, great location”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

I've stayed at several Hilton properties in Chicago and this one is pretty comparable to the others in the same category. The hotel is very convenient to both shopping/dining in the Mag Mile area plus the red line drops right at the hotel corner so its a 5 min. ride into the loop for business. Some great restaurants nearby, had dinner in the Weber Grill which is in the lobby and liked it. Hotel lobby was being re-wallpapered and painted when i arrived which is nice to see they are maintaining the facility. Room was super clean, bed was a bit firmer than I like but so are most hotels. Service was terrific. All around it was exactly what I needed for a quick trip.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Howard M, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor. As a regular Hilton guest we always welcome your feedback to gauge how we are holding up to the high standards of the Brand. It was great hearing that we meet those and hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the very near future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ireland
Reviewed May 7, 2014

stayed here for five nights and found it a very pleasant experience. Good room and bathroom both with excellent amenities. Fridge, coffee maker, etc. The hotel is centrally located just at the rear of Nordstrom on Michigan Ave. Plenty of restaurants and bars close by. staff were friendly and helpful but unobtrusive. No problem recommending this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to sahre your feedback with us. We've recently completed our multi million dollar renovation so it was great hearing that these improvements were well received! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed May 5, 2014

I would advise that anyone wanting to stay at this property read this. However, this will be long!

I would like to start off by telling anyone reading this, I have stayed at this hotel on three occasions and the first two times were very enjoyable. However, the third time was mortifying!

In the very early morning of 2/24/14, I was asleep in my hotel room and awoke about 12:30 a.m. to find an unauthorized person standing up next to my bed. At that point, I yelled and asked who he was. He began to flee, so I chased him into the stairwell and broke off my pursuit shortly thereafter, so I could call the front desk. I described the man to the front desk as well as I could and I was told security would begin looking immediately. 3-5 minutes later, I received a call from the front desk letting me know they were unable to locate the intruder (I do not think they looked very hard if it was only 3-5 minutes). At that point I let the front desk agent know that I did not see anything missing, so I hung up and assumed that security would be up to file some kind of report. Unfortunately, I could not have been more wrong!

As I waited for security to come, I decided to look in my wallet and make sure nothing was missing and come to find out he had stolen $150 form me. I immediately phoned the front desk (45 minutes after first reporting the incident and still on security) and let the agent know that the intruder had indeed taken money out of my wallet. The front desk agent told me she would inform security, so I hung up and waited for security to arrive. Once again, I was wrong!

5 hours passed and I still had not seen security, nor had I heard anything further from the front desk. However, I did find that someone had come to and placed a bill under my door. I became very angry and walked from the 21st floor to the front desk to find out why they can send someone to give me a bill but not someone to check on the incident. I was told there was nobody available to come to my room and check on the incident. I became extremely upset and asked to speak to a manger and I was told that she was the only one there and she could not help me. I then asked her to call her manager on call and I was told they did not have one (I work in the hospitality industry and have a degree in hotel management, so I know there is always a manager on call). I was absolutely furious and I told the front desk agent to have the manager come to my room as soon as she got there, which I was told was about 7:00 a.m.

After dealing with the front desk agent, I decided to call the police and file my own report, since it was quite obvious that the hotel was not going to. I told the police officer the whole story and her response was "where did you find this hotel and why are you still there?"

After I got off the phone with the officer, I waited patiently in my room for the manager to arrive (still no sign of security or anyone coming to my room). Of course, 7 a.m. passes and there is no sign of a manger. I wait until 8 a.m. and decide to go down and find the manager myself. I FINALLY find her at the front desk and ask her if she is aware of the situation. She tells me that she is aware, so I ask her why she did not come to my room as I had specifically requested. She then tells me that nobody let her know that I requested that she do so and she thought it would be best to let me rest. I informed her that I had not been to sleep since the incident and that she should have been there immediately. I then asked her if we could go behind closed doors to speak about this, so I do not disrupt her lobby and she informs me should would rather speak in the lobby. I told her the story from the beginning and how I was more upset about the lack of action by her staff than actually being robbed. She nods her head as I was speaking and tell me how sorry she is in a very disingenuous manner. When I finally finished telling her of every incompetent decision her staff had made, she informs me that there is nothing she can do until he supervisor gets there about 9 or 10 a.m.. At that point, still nobody had come to my room and every time I wanted to speak to someone about the incident, I had to come downstairs to do so.

Once again, I go up to my room and wait. Of course, the time that her supervisor is suppose to be in my room passes and I receive a call letting me know she is going to be late (at least they called this time). The two managers show up about an hour late and informed me that they ran a diagnostic on my lock to see if anyone used a key at the time I reported the break-in and the results were negative (this leads me to believe that an employee was involved). I told them I did not care what the diagnostic said, because I chased the fellow out myself! I was then informed that if someone did come in my room, I must have left the door open. Once again, I became very enraged and told them I did not leave the door open and any case, hotel doors shut on their own or at least the do in most respectable establishments!!!

I assumed that since I was violated in their hotel and had to put up with he most incompetent hotel staff I had ever encountered, I would be very well compensated (I would have done everything under the sun to keep the guest happy and hope this did not get out on a social from. Once again, I could not have been more wrong. I was told that as a show of good faith, they would give me one night free out of the three nights I had stayed. I found this to be an unbelievably poor offer but I decided to keep my mouth shut, because it was obvious that this staff from top to bottom had no idea how to operate a hotel and I was wasting my time.

As I am checking out to, so I can get to another hotel, the front desk agent asked me how my stay was, so informed that I had been robbed and it could not have been worse. She gave me a look for disbelief and told me she had not heard that there was a robbery on the property. Once again, I was in utter disbelief that management had not informed the other employees of this issue. However, looking back on it, I should have expected that to be the case. One of the managers that I had dealt with actually saw me come to the front desk, speak to the agent and exit and never even attempted to speak to me!!!!!!

When I arrived at the hotel I deiced to move to, I tweeted at the corporate office to let them know if my troubles. About 30 minutes after my tweet, I conveniently received a call from a top level manager at the Hilton Garden Inn. He left me a voicemail about 5 p.m. letting me know that this was the first he was hearing of this and wanted me to call him back so we could speak. My first though was...how is it possible that 17 hours go by and a top level manager was not informed that there was a burglary on site...more incompetence!! I called him back the next day and told him the story from top to bottom. He is very apologetic and informs me that he will look into the problems with his staff and that I would be getting reimbursed for the $150 that was stolen from me. After everything I had been through, I still felt that this was a very poor offer but I figured the incompetence must begin at the top, so It was the best that I would see. I am sure most of you will be surprised but this was 2.5 months ago and shockingly, I still have not seen a check from the corporate office.

I did receive an email from the corporate office asking me to document the events of the evening. After composing a long email like this, I received a reply letting me know that spoke with the Hilton Garden Inn and they were under the impression that all had been taken care of to my satisfaction. I wrote them back telling them that that was not the case and I was still extremely dissatisfied. Much to my dismay, I never heard from the corporate office, not has there been any follow-up from the Hilton Garden Inn.

I am sorry this review was so long and I do not like to bash companies like this, but potential guests of this property need to be informed of this incident. The utter incompetence seems to start with the corporate office and trickle all the way down the lowest level of employees. If I were management, I would be beyond embarrassed of these actions or lack thereof and do everything in my power to rectify them.

The man who broke into my room was able to circumvent the lock and walk around my room and open my wallet on my bedside table without me being able to hear a peep (the only reason I actually work up was to go the bathroom). This man is obviously a professional and has come to this hotel before. The lack of surprise and the demeanor of the staff leads me to believe that this is not the first time it has happened.

Once again, please be cautious of this property. If you do decide to stay here, use all your locks and do not bring valuables!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
22 Thank SPYDER6857
Reviewed May 3, 2014

The Hilton Garden Inn is in a good location, a close walk to many restaurants, shops, across the street from subway and bus line, cabs avail in a flash. Also in and out parking is very handy. We checked in on Wed a.m. (last wk) and were accomodated soon after lunch by an early requested check-in. The desk staff was very pleasant, friendly and accomodating. I have to say patient also as they had good suggestions for everything we (3 fussy women with wildly diverse tastes) needed to know. Choices in dining nearby, best mode of transportation to get to Oriental Theatre to see "Motown, the Musical" (which was excellent btw and shouldn't be missed), The Shedd Aquarium and the Kingston Mines Blues Center etc . OK, 3 of us shared a 2 Queen room with city view. it was cool to look out of the 19th floor window. We found our room clean, comfortable, quiet and had everything we needed. Housekeeping services were great (don't forget to tip your Housekeeper,it's hard work, yet apparently many people don't leave one). We were short of time the evening for "Motown"and ate in the attached "Weber Grille" restaurant and it turned out to be a delightful experience. All 3 of us fussy eaters were happy with the menu and the food quality. Our waiter there was also super! The desk staff had many interesting choices to recommend for dinner and we followed up on going to "Quartino" which we really liked alot. For any other coffee fiends there is a starbucks right in the lobby which carries goods from a local bakery , excellent. Oh, one other tip, don't forget your walking shoes! Thanks HGI, from GB, DH & AJS

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

1 Thank 808gailb
Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed and friendly comments regarding our hotel, our team members, and our friends at Weber Grill! It was very much appreciated by all mentioned (especially our housekeeping team!). We hope we have the opportunity to serve you again the next time your travel plans include Chicago.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Great place to stay and excellent location downtown Chicago. Everything is within walking distance and the hotel staff are very helpful. Would highly recommend to anyone staying in Chicago for business or leisure

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding our hotel and its central location. We are pleased you enjoyed your experience with us and we look forward to serving you again in the very near future!
Glenside, United States
Reviewed May 1, 2014

This was an exceptional hotel experience - as a "smallish"hotel. Outstanding service staff eager to be helpful. It is located near excellent restaurants & retail stores, walking distance to fine Chicago facilities. The lobby was under renovation - a slight annoyance but most likely for a brighter look. No real problem there. Full breakfasts were outstanding.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thanbk you for sharing your comments with us. Your comments regarding our staff and service levels was much appreciated! I will make sure that our friends at Weber Grill are also in the loop on your feedback regarding their breakfast options. Thank you again!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

Garden Inn has always been a good stay for Chicago. The hotel is centrally located and walking distance to many of the tourist attractions downtown.
The staff is always top notch, professional and courteous. If you have status with Hilton breakfast at Webber's is very good.
They have recently updated the rooms and did a great job. Everything is fresh and working perfect.
This has always been a good stay now it is even better.
The lobby was being updated our last day and should be done in a week.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us on Trip Advisor. We always appreciate hearing feedback from our repeat guests so we can gauge our level of improvement. It was great to hear that we continue to meet your expectations and look forward to many future stays!