“My Favorite Chicago Hotel”

Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile
Ranked #60 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I come to Chicago 3 to 4 times a year, to attend Chicago Bears Football games, and always try to get in the Hilton Garden Inn. The staff is friendly, the rooms clean, and the breakfast at the Weber Grill is excellent. Also important, is that the CTA subway stop is right at the front door of the Garden Inn, which is conventent coming in from either Ohare or Midway airport, and also for getting to Soldier Field for the games.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
1  Thank jon b
Howard M, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your experiences here at the hotel. We always enjoy hearing positive comments from our most loyal guests! We look forward to welcoming you back gain soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,322)

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Just completed a 5-day trip with my husband to Chicago for a baseball game, shopping and touring. Stayed in the 'burbs first two nights. Although the cost of a room was less than half of the prices in town, DON'T do it. Traffic is horrendous no matter what time of day. Switched to Hilton Garden Mag Mile for last two nights-- a Saturday and Sunday -- our stay was glorious. We arrived downtown at 9:30 a.m. I had called ahead, and they had our room ready. We were checked in, car parked, and ready to embark on our day by 10 a.m. The valets, bell boys, and desk attendants were all very pleasant and helpful. The lobby is spacious with a Starbuck's and a Weber Grill Restaurant. The elevators worked efficiently, and we rarely had to wait at all to get to our room on the 21st floor. The room was more than an adequate size with a chair and ottoman, desk with chair, adjustable-mattress king bed, large closet, and refrig and microwave. Storage space was excellent for clothes, other belongings, and snacks. The air conditioning is controlled via a wall thermostat much like at home, and, amazingly, the windows open -- another great plus for this hotel in my book! We had ours open and fresh air all weekend, since the temperatures didn't necessitate having the air on.

The location is excellent. We walked to all of the shopping and dining areas, a boat tour on the river, and a "gangster" tour which left from a nearby McDonalds. Cabs are incredibly easy to get, and a valet will assist, so we used one to get to the Museum Campus area which is a bit more of a walk. From there we road the train back -- also easy with a station directly adjacent to the hotel. We took a bus from the river tour dock to Navy Pier, which was also quite easy to figure out how to do. The bus stopped very close to the hotel.

We had drinks one evening and breakfast one morning at the Weber Grill. Both were great. Expect to pay a bit more than you might expect for any meal in Chicago...but for the price, the breakfast was an unlimited amount of anything off the buffet and any dish made to order! The convenience and quality of this restaurant is a great asset for the hotel. They offer carry out and room service, too. Also went to Hugo's Frog for steak and sea food and Rosebud's for Italian. Recommend both highly. They are located in the Gold Coast area with some nice shopping, too, and just a bit of a walk from the hotel.

I bought the parking package with unlimited in/out privileges. However, we never used our car, so if you plan to stay downtown, just park it once. The cost of the valet is worth every penny, and when we needed something from the car, we had immediate access to it.

The hotel offers a small pool and hot tub area with a workout room. These were nice and not crowded the weekend we were there.

I will return to the Hilton Garden Mag Mile when I am in Chicago again. I don't think you could beat the service and value and the great location.

Room Tip: Lobby is on first floor. Guest rooms start on 12th floor. 21st floor with city view was nice. Exp...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kdt1217
Howard M, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback regarding your recent stay here with us! I enjoyed reading all of your terrific compliments regarding our location, team, and hotel amenities. We are glad that you elected to move your trip from the suburbs to downtown and look forward to welcoming you back here again soon!

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I had a 14th floor room, the heating system was kind of loud. Once turned off, it was fine. Room was comfortable, very spacious - appreciated the comfortable bed and desk. Nice choice for busienss travel. The breakfast buffet was very nice, good variety of continental and full breakfast items. Pricing of $150.00 per night was very solid for the area. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the Chicago Fire station across the street.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay here with us. We are glad that you enjoyed your experience here with us and look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again the next time your travel plans include our wonderful city.

Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

My son, boyfriend and I had an amazing time while in Chicago. Our stay at The Hilton Garden Inn was absolutely perfect from the moment we waked into the door until the moment we left. All of the employees were very friendly, and personable. We had an amazing view, with a very clean room with everything we needed. The hotel location is perfect, we were able to walk everywhere, from the Navy Pier to The Hancock tower, and millennium park!! I would recommend this hotel to anyone, and will definitely be returning on my next stay in Chicago!

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor regarding your stay experience here with us. I enjoyed hearing that you, your son, and boyfriend enjoyed their time here with us. Better yet that you will be selecting us again the next time you are in the area! We look forward to seeing you here again soon.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Very pleased with this hotel. My room (1434) was quiet (I'm a light sleeper, so that was very important to me) and had a nice view. I thought the mattress was due for replacement but was comfy enough for my short stay. Hotel was very clean and had a helpful and pleasant staff. Great location. Easy walk to Navy Pier and shopping. I will most likely stay there again on my next trip to Chicago.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Howard M, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us! We always enjoy hearing when our guests leave satisfied and plan to return the next time they are in town. I will be sharing your comments with the rest of the team here on property as well. Please note that we have begun replacing all of the mattresses in the hotel so the next time you are here you should have a new sleep experience as well!

Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

I love Hilton Garden Inns usually.
This one not so much.
The rooms are a little dated, spacious but all rooms have two beds. Weird.
The HVAC unit in the room is very noisy and seems to have 2 settings very cold / very hot.
The rest if my team had the same complaint. We all spent sleepless nights trying to adjust it. I checked out a day early and stayed with friends just to get some sleep.
The pool is too small to swim in.
The onsite restaurant is The Weber Grill - not for a business travelers budget. Starbucks in Lobby very limited.

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your recent stay. I regret the challenges you encountered with our HVAC system. We are making updates to each of our guestrooms later this year and will work to improve the noise levels as well. We do hope we are given another opportunity to serve you the next time Chicago is part of your travel plans.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Clean and spacious room. Great temperature control in room.Valet parking 61.00 per night is more expensive tan most in the area.
Excellent location,close to shopping and restaurants. Starbucks onsite and free trolley to navy peer were nice additions.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 208kristin
Howard M, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I have recently addressed the parking rate challenges that all of our neighbor hotels are facing with the new Cook County tax increase, but I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and the easy access to Navy Pier. We hope to see you again the next time your travel plans include Chicago!