“Great location; good value”

Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile
Ranked #58 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Just returned from a 2-night weekend (Friday-Saturday) stay in Chicago. The hotel is ideally located just a few blocks from Michigan Avenue and all of the Magnificent Mile shopping. The staff is outstanding- very friendly and efficient. The rooms are a nice size as compared with other similar hotels in the city. Having a family along, the fridge and microwave in the rooms was much appreciated. While no breakfast is provided, the attached Weber Grill serves breakfast everyday ($10.95 continental buffet or $14.95 full buffet). We chose to walk around the corner to the Jewel Grocery store, and bought items to eat in the room. Decent pool for the kids, which stays open until 11PM, which is good after a long day of shopping and dining. $12.95 cab ride to the Field Museum from the hotel, if your plans call for that activity. Our only "complaint" would be the beds. They were very hard and uncomfortable- but we've had much worse elsewhere. There is a CTA Red Line station literally steps outside the door of the hotel- great if you're heading to a Cubs or Sox game. We would definitely stay at this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Howard M, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay here with us. I was thrilled to read your comments about our staff! We truly feel that our team's passion and love of service helps seperate us from the other hotels here in Chicago. I will make sure that your comments are shared with everyone! Regarding our beds however, I was concerned to hear your comments regarding their comfort. So you are aware, we are going to begin replacing every bed in the hotel later this year, so we expect that will take care of this concern. We hope that when your tarvel plans include Chicago again that we are your choice to be your home away from home!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,297)

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I frequently travel for educational conferences and this hotel was very central and accommodating.
My flight arrived ver early in the morning and the allowed me to check in at 10 am, so I was able to rest and take in some of the sights later that day.
The restaurant in the lobby had a very tasty breakfast buffet for $14.95, so I was able to enjoy a meal. The subway is at the corner and there is a Trader Joes as well as other markets nearby where you can get snacks for you room. PF Changs is right outside the door tothe left.
The rooms are clean and nicely decorated in that Hilton style and the rates are affordable. Would stay there again. Even though St. Patrick's Day was crazy, the chaos didn't impact the hotel.

Room Tip: Get a map of the bus routes to make travel a breeze. Navy Pier is a short distance away.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Howard M, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about our hotel and our prized location. The team appreciates your positive feedback and we look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again in the very near future!

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I've stayed at several hotels in downtown Chicago and the Hilton Garden Inn is probably my favorite. It is perfectly situated within walking distance of Michigan Ave, Navy Pier, the Chicago and Oriental theaters, and Rush Street. The hotel is nice, comfortable, and clean and the service is always terrific. I think this hotel is a great place for business travelers and adult weekends, while the Hilton Home Suites across the street is a better place for families, due to the room size and meal service. My only, very minor complaint would be on my last stay here, there was way too much chlorine in the hot tub. The steam from the tub made my eyes burn, so I couldn't stay in it and relax.
If you stay at the Hilton Garden Inn, you'd be remiss to not dine at the Weber Grill downstairs. The food is fresh and delicious and the portions generous. Just beware that they do tend to overcook a bit, so if you want your meat medium-well, order it done medium and it will be perfect. The beer can chicken is the best grilled chicken I've ever had and the chocolate bundt cake with hot fudge and vanilla bean ice cream is a better treat than the famous cupcakes down the street (with a much shorter wait- and it's a dessert plate big enough to share).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about our hotel, services, and location! We love hearing your positive comments and appreciate you sharing these on Trip Advisor. I hope that we have the opportunity to be your home away from home again in the very near future.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

I think this is an excellent hotel with a terrific restaurant below (Weber Grill). We loved the location and had a terrific time. The rooms are clean modern and nice. The pool and hot tub were why we chose it over the Sheraton but sadly the PH balance was so off one of my nephews got chlorine rash, while my 3 yr old had a fever, and daughter was up many times in the night because her eyes were burning and continuously watering. So that made sleep obviously a challenge. Other than that medical scare... it was great:) That and our breakfast waitress was really weird about the busboy and very demeaning to him in front of us which made us very uncomfortable.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. While I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed our location and hotel services, I was very concerned to hear your experience with our pool and PH balance. I have taken your feedback directly back to our chemical supplier as well as our engineering team. This is not acceptable and we will address it. Regarding your experience at Weber Grill attached to us, I do not have direct oversight of this restaurant but we keep open lines of communication and I will make sure that they are aware of our expectations when it comes to service and employee presentation. Again, thank you for sharing such postive comments and for your patience. We look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again in the very near future.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

It's good hotel at a good price, in a great location. However, unless you like the smell of smoke/charcoal, do not stay here because the building also has the restaurant: Weber Grill located there. Hope you LOVE BBQ! You will smell it 24/7.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. While I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed our location and hotel, I was concerned to hear that you could smell our connecting restaurant, Weber Grill, throughout your stay. I will look into this. I have not heard complaints about this before so I need to investigate further. I do hope that you allow us another opportunity to serve your travel needs and thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

We never thought we'd find a hotel in downtown Chicago that was this nice for this price. It was a very nice room with fridge & microwave, and very much a normal Hilton Garden Inn space. We had originally selected a queen room, but later added another guest to our party. We were quite disappointed that a roll-away would not fit in the room and had to get a second room. The beds in both rooms, however, left something to be desired. They felt like the middles had sunk in. We initially thought it was just our room, but the second room occupants had similar complaints. After two nights of uncomfortable sleep, we discovered that the beds were, in fact, adjustable, however, there was no signage to indicate it which would have alleviated some aches and pains.

The carpet just outside the bathroom in one room was worn & fraying a bit, but it was not a concern. The hair dryer in the 2nd room didn't work the first day. We reported it on our way out and it was repaired/replaced while we were gone.

The hotel is in walking distance of everything. That is a very broad use of the word as most people seem to get around the city by walking. I wish I knew how many miles I had walked. There is so much to see and do that you're distracted by it all and don't realize how far you've gone!

Enjoyed the free wi-fi. Staff was friendly. The pantry helped when two in our party forgot deodorant, but $3 for a travel-size was a bit high. Wonder what the drug store around the corner would have charged? They also provided us with plasticware for leftover dessert. Over all very nice.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Howard M, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed critique of your recent stay experience here with us. I apologize that you were not made aware that our beds are adjustable until after you spent 2 uncomfortable nights. We need to do a better job of making sure our guests are aware that each bed is equipped with an adjustable knob. I will be following up with our engineering team on ways to promte this. Just so you are aware, we are going to begin replacing all of our beds in each room later this year, so hopefully that will correct any remaining issues. I'm glad that you enjoyed our location and this great walking city! Always wear comfortable shoes! I hope that we can be part of your future travel plans to Chicago.

Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is a great place to stay with kids. The rooms have a small fridge and microwave, the pool is super warm which was lovely. We swam twice because it was such a good temp in there( small, but warm and has a basketball hoop which my boys loved) Weber grill downstairs is kid friendly and has a great kids meal. 24 hr pantry downstairs too. Great location. You can walk to Michigan ave easily and a quick taxi to the pier.
This is not the "sexiest" of hotels, and not the one I would pick for a weekend with my hubs, but it is perfect for a stay with the kids. Great spot overall we will be back( we have stayed all over the city and this is now a top pick!)

• Stayed: March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay experience here with us. I was glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed our hotel and the pool area. We pride ourselves on being "kid friendly" and appreciate hearing that kids enjoy our amenities. I hope that your future travel plans to Chicago will include us welcoming you back to our hotel. Thank you again for sharing your feedback with us!