2,524 results
All reviews the weber grill great location navy pier fridge and microwave within walking distance magnificent mile front desk staff valet parking self park michigan ave city view street noise business center would definitely stay here again room was clean and comfortable few blocks mag mile
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn downtown Chicago location between Christmas & New Years for 4 nights.This was my first visit to a Hilton Garden Inn. This hotel is in a fantastic location! Close to State Street shopping & the Magnificent Mile. The subway is next door to the hotel; taxis are everywhere & there are a variety of buses to take you anywhere you wish to go. There is a grocery store across the street & a ton of restaurants within a couple of blocks to suit every budget.

The front desk staff were okay over my 4 day stay, but not exceptional. The front desk folks also act as the concierge. They answered my questions, but did very little to offer information on the area or the hotel. For example, I wasn't aware that there were freshly cookies anywhere, if they did in fact exist. I checked in later in the evening & also wasn't aware that there was a small Starbucks in the lobby for morning coffee. I finally found the Business Centre on the 12th floor, but again, I had to search for it myself. (There is an orientation Guide in the hotel room, but it is nicer when someone points some of these things out to make you feel welcome)
The on-site restaurant (Webers Grill) is convenient, but quite pricey. The morning buffet was not worth $15.00 USD for the offerings that were presented. I also had dinner one evening at Webers & again found it pricey & the food just mediocre.

The room was a standard hotel room on a high floor away from the noise. Nothing exceptional about the room.The whole room seemed clean at check-in, but that was it! On the second day I noticed that the bathroom did not appear to have been cleaned. The towels were gathered up, but that was it. I mentioned this on the third day to the maid, but she didn't speak any English. Once again, the bathroom did not appear to have been cleaned at all.
On the fourth day I arrived back at my room mid afternoon & discovered it had not been cleaned by 3:00PM.I walked out in the hall to stop the Housekeeping Supervisor to let her know that my bathroom had not been cleaned on day 2 or 3. She sent in the maid to clean my room about 10 minutes later. She cleaned the bathroom first, changed my bed & then vaccumed the middle of my room for a few seconds; she dusted the edge & I mean the edge of the desk & the edge of the microwave cabinet on her way out of the room. I couldn't believe how rushed she was.
This is so unacceptable! I travel alot for business & have enjoyed cleaner rooms in my travels in even lower priced motels/hotels, etc. The front desk staff compensated me with a free breakfast, but I am hoping that your housekeeping will change.

Suggestion:
I wonder if it would be possible to print out a little card of instruction on how to adjust your mattress settings? The settings are out of view underneath the fitted sheet. The mattress was extremely uncomfortable for a couple of nights until I finally found the settings. Again, nothing was mentioned at front desk upon arrival. Your front desk staff do get very busy, but there was noone behind me upon my later arrival.

And too, your hot tub was working one or two nights out of my stay. That was so disappointing. Hopefully the hot tub has now been fixed.

I am undecided as to whether I will stay at this Hilton Garden Inn location again or not. Believe it or not, I am usually easy to please. I rarely write a hotel review of criticism, but felt I needed to say something in this review.

Room Tip: ask for a room on a higher floor if you want a quieter location away from street noise Make sure your room is clean on arrival Ask the front desk how to adjust your bed (sleep settings)
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Mark C, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Your feedback about your stay with us is very helpfull. Thank you for sharing. We hope to see you again upon your return to Chicago.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Went out for a night on the town with friends and needed a place to stay for the night. For our situation, this place was perfect.

It’s located in a prime spot in downtown Chicago, yet affordable too without sacrificing key creature comforts in a standard hotel room.

You are literally steps away from the Red Line on “the L” and within walking distance to many restaurants and numerous sites within Chicago.

The room was a decent size, clean, had modern amenities, a comfortable bed and the staff was professional.
We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Great to know that you had a good time here! Please come back again sometime; there is much to do in our neighborhood.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Considering the price tag of this hotel room, the location of the building in downtown chicago, and the overall amenities of the building... This is a great choice! The lobby is spacious for a Hilton Garden Inn, including a covered round-a-bout loading/unloading valet area, a fairly spacious lobby, direct access to the "Weber Grill" restaurant with a coffee shop in the lobby too. It had a decent pool and a decent workout area. The workout room had fairly new equipment just not too much of it.

The location is perfect for just about everything. It was located on the corner of GRAND and STATE. Grand avenue is a direct shot to Navy Pier and only 3 blocks (3-5 minutes) from the Magnificent Mile shopping. State is a easy walk to the south-river side of town with more shopping, the theatre district, and Millennium park. During my time downtown, I noticed several comparable hotels (the Courtyard Marriott, the Homewood Suites, etc.) and was very pleased with my choice at the Hilton Garden Inn.

What the hotel did lack was upscale rooms. It was comfortable, just not on par with a standard Hilton or Marriott room. The sheets were pretty rough, the TV was only 27"-32", the towels were old and flimsy, and the bathroom wallpaper looked like it was from the early 90's. The toilet tank cover didn't fit correctly and looked like it was from a completely different toilet. All said, this is where the hotel is likely creating the "value" in their price-point. Great building and location, fair room.

If you're looking for a great value and location, this is your spot. If you want upscale accomodations, perhaps look elsewhere for another $30-60/night.

Room Tip: As always, choose rooms at the end to avoid hallway noise - the doors and walls are a bit thin. None of the views are particularly amazing, so you're not missing anything. Street noise is likely the same on all levels - if an ambulance passes by you'll hear it on any floor.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AMPfromBNA
Mark C, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Thanks very much for highlighting our good value and quality location. Also, I've informed the front desk about your overall experience. Please keep us in mind for a future stay and let us know when you're returing to Chicago again and we will update you on whats new at the hotel and in our River North surroundings. Safe travels & thanks again!

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights - 12/26 & 12/27 with our daughter & her husband and had a generally pleasant experience. We stayed here mainly for the price - $79 the 1st night and $89 the 2nd., although parking is the standard Chicago $49/night. Our check-in experience was excellent!!! The lady at the front desk was very pleasant and helpful and the young man who brought our bags to the room was also - 5 stars for both! The room was clean and pleasant but the beds were a mixed bag. The men felt the beds were excellent and we both slept great and the women both slept poorly and complained about the mattress! On the 1st morning son-in-law and I went down for breakfast. Neither of us wanted the $15 buffet more from the fact that we weren't very hungry than that it didn't look worth it even in Chicago. I asked if we could order a la carte and the hostess said yes and seated us. She left one menu, which was the buffet description. I went back to the hostess station and asked a different person for a menu and was told that they didn't have one, just order what we wanted and they would tell us if they couldn't do it. OK we were only ordering basics so no big problem. After 25 minutes the waitress finally arrived and said that indeed they did have a breakfast menu and evidently meant that literally as she came back with 1 menu!! After sharing the menu and getting some coffee the food arrived after 25 minutes. It was lukewarm and she didn't bring the toast and was pretty much like what you get at the waffle house (greasy) only without service. That took another 10 minutes. We finished and it took another 15 minutes to bring the bill. I should have known better by now but wanted to take some breakfast up to my wife. I ordered and after 25 minutes, in which time the restaurant had emptied we got up and found the waitress and the food had been sitting there. We went back to the rooms and rest of our stay was without problems. Check out was fine.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ciach

Thank very much for sharing the details about your stay with us. I've informed our front desk manager about your positive comments regarding our hotel staff & quality of your stay. I also have notified the manager of the restaurant about the challenges you encountered having breakfast. I'm very sorry about the inconvenience. We value your feedback and look forward to giving you a warm welcome again upon your return to Chicago.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed at the hotel with a few friends one night for an evening in the city going out for dinner and drinks. The location is great since it's within a short walking distance to Hubbard St and all the fun places we could enjoy for a five-star night on the town. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. For $100 - you can't ask for more.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Wonderful news! Thanks for sharing this. I agree, our River North location is within arms reach of the best that Chicago has to offer. Safe travels.