Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile
Ranked #53 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
San Rafael, California
“Great hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

Was very happy with this hotel. Rooms were updated, nice lobby, and good staff. The Weber restaurant was jam packed and could not find a spot during dinner time but that was okay.

Would definitely come back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Lumberton, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were in Chicago for a wedding at the Drake. Getting here from the airport, we took a cab and it cost roughly $50. After checking in, we ventured out to get some food. It was late and raining and we had 2 little kids with us. We walked around the corner and found Uno. If you are in Chicago, you need to try their pizza. Unable to do much due to weather, we went back to the room and crashed. The next day the weather was a little better and so we ventured out and walked down to the Drake. It was not that bad of a walk from the HGI. There were many stores to shop at on the way over there. We didn't do any touristy stuff due to it being cold and having the kids with us. We ate later that day at the Cheesecake Factory. That night I met some other people who came in for the wedding at the Weber Grill in the lobby for drinks. We had already eaten but when I saw that they used real grills for the food, I knew that I would have to eat there the next day for lunch while watching football. It was late and they were closing and so the wait staff told us of a locals place 2 blocks away that was open late. We went there and were there until 4 am (the place never cleared out). To make a long story short, the only issue we had was that we asked for a late checkout for our last day since the housekeepers had cleaned our room at 3pm the other days. They told us we could have until 1. I told them of the time that the housekeepers had come by, but they still said 1. Guess what time the housekeepers came the next day. That's right, at 1. Funny how that works. Anyway, the rooms were clean, the bar in the lobby was nice and the location was great. I would stay here again if in Chicago.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank fatubus
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn on Grand Ave in Chicago. It was a great location and walking distance from the Magnificent Mile. The Red Line was right outside our door which was very convenient. And, we took the commuter train in from Michigan City to Millennium Park which was really nice. We walk to our hotel from Millennium Park which was only a 10 minute walk. The hotel was great and the staff was nice. It’s also close to Fado’s which is a great Irish Pub. And, the India House is right down the road too on Grand River. We also love going there for the great Indian food. The only negative thing we experience is the noise of fire trucks. We found out the fire station is a block away but then again Chicago in general is a noisy city. Great warm cookies at dinner time too at the front desk. Yummy.

Room Tip: Ask about rooms not facing the fire station. Probably would be East facing.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

The Hilton Garden Inn's fantastic location is near the L, great bus lines, fantastic shopping and great dining. The hotel is a no frills business hotel with nice conference rooms and great service. The pool and hot tub are small but enjoyable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Brazil
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

I am a firm believer that if you stay long enough in a hotel you will see the good and the bad. This is what this review is about.
The good:
Friendly staff, Weber grill right down stairs, Starbucks in the morning, microwave and mini fridge in the room, room was clean, bed was comfortable, the gym was good enough and the location was great.

The bad:
One given morning one guest set the fire alarm off. This is when a good experience turned bad very quickly. I was at the gym when this happened. It was before seven in the morning when a guest entered the gym talking about the trouble in one of the floors. There was no out of control fire but the smoke detector let water out on the entire floor. Not my floor so, so far no problem for me. When I finished my work out I could not take the elevator. Fair enough, safety first. I used a house phone and asked for instructions. I was told a staff member would escort me to my room using the service elevator. I waited for 10 minutes and nothing. Called the reception, waited another 10 minutes and nothing. Finally I tested the regular elevators and it was working. Now I don't wan to over react, the hotel staff was in a crisis mode but somewhere between the 5 phone calls I made downstairs I could have received better guidance. I talked to the front desk about it and received a voucher for a free breakfast. Fair enough.
As I returned to the hotel at night there were huge dryers outside my room. These things were LOUD. It was before seven so I called the front desk to understand what was going on. I was informed that before 7 they would be shut down. Well... they were not. After about 6 phone calls to the reception the equipment was turned down after 11 pm. Now I don't want the hotel carpet to be damaged because I can live with a bit of noise but 11pm on a week night is just ridiculous.

If there had been no fire alarm I would have not experienced any of it. So I can't say it was a totally bad experience but if you are there for work you need to know that some of these things may come up.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Kristy F, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
LiliformBrazil, Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. We take our guest feed back very seriously to improve your experience. We appreciate the positive feed back regarding our friendly staff and glad you enjoyed our unique features like Weber Grill and Starbucks. We sincerely apologize for the very unusual disturbance during your stay with us. Safety of our guests is our number one priority. Additional training has recently been executed to ensure our staff is communicating safe guidance to our guests. We hired a team of experts to insure the clean up was done as efficiently and safely as possible. The clean up associated with that incident has been completed and the conditions are better than ever. We hope to earn the opportunity to exceed your expectations during your next stay in Chicago.-Craig Hillyard (General Manager) 312-527-2373
Ridgeland, Mississippi, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a wedding over a long weekend. This was a perfect location for us. It was in walking distance of so many of the attractions and the Red Line is right outside the hotel. It was clean and comfortable with a helpful staff.

There is a Starbucks in the lobby of the hotel that is open in the mornings.

I think the worst part for us (which isn't under the hotel's control) was all the noise from the outside. There were several times what sounded to me like a fire truck went by, even in the middle of the night. I'm not sure much can be done in a building like that to help sound-proof the windows, but I definitely got woken up more than once. Just a consequence of staying in that busy of an area, I suppose.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Lafayette, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

My best friend and I stayed at the HGI-Mag Mile last weekend. We wanted a great location an that's exactly what we got. Redline subway is outside the hotel, this takes you straight to Wrigley Field, 30 minute train ride. Tons of restaurant options nearby. Nordstroms is across the street. The Willis Tower is about a mile away. It was raining on the day we went so we cabbed it.
The hotel was perfectly clean. Nice indoor pool and hot tub to end the day and Weber Grill downstairs. We were very happy with out hotel choice and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012