“Good Business hotel”

Ranked #55 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Good Business hotel”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

The Hilton Garden Inn's fantastic location is near the L, great bus lines, fantastic shopping and great dining. The hotel is a no frills business hotel with nice conference rooms and great service. The pool and hot tub are small but enjoyable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brazil
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I am a firm believer that if you stay long enough in a hotel you will see the good and the bad. This is what this review is about.
The good:
Friendly staff, Weber grill right down stairs, Starbucks in the morning, microwave and mini fridge in the room, room was clean, bed was comfortable, the gym was good enough and the location was great.

The bad:
One given morning one guest set the fire alarm off. This is when a good experience turned bad very quickly. I was at the gym when this happened. It was before seven in the morning when a guest entered the gym talking about the trouble in one of the floors. There was no out of control fire but the smoke detector let water out on the entire floor. Not my floor so, so far no problem for me. When I finished my work out I could not take the elevator. Fair enough, safety first. I used a house phone and asked for instructions. I was told a staff member would escort me to my room using the service elevator. I waited for 10 minutes and nothing. Called the reception, waited another 10 minutes and nothing. Finally I tested the regular elevators and it was working. Now I don't wan to over react, the hotel staff was in a crisis mode but somewhere between the 5 phone calls I made downstairs I could have received better guidance. I talked to the front desk about it and received a voucher for a free breakfast. Fair enough.
As I returned to the hotel at night there were huge dryers outside my room. These things were LOUD. It was before seven so I called the front desk to understand what was going on. I was informed that before 7 they would be shut down. Well... they were not. After about 6 phone calls to the reception the equipment was turned down after 11 pm. Now I don't want the hotel carpet to be damaged because I can live with a bit of noise but 11pm on a week night is just ridiculous.

If there had been no fire alarm I would have not experienced any of it. So I can't say it was a totally bad experience but if you are there for work you need to know that some of these things may come up.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Kristy F, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
LiliformBrazil, Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. We take our guest feed back very seriously to improve your experience. We appreciate the positive feed back regarding our friendly staff and glad you enjoyed our unique features like Weber Grill and Starbucks. We sincerely apologize for the very unusual disturbance during your stay with us. Safety of our guests is our number one priority. Additional training has recently been executed to ensure our staff is communicating safe guidance to our guests. We hired a team of experts to insure the clean up was done as efficiently and safely as possible. The clean up associated with that incident has been completed and the conditions are better than ever. We hope to earn the opportunity to exceed your expectations during your next stay in Chicago.-Craig Hillyard (General Manager) 312-527-2373
Ridgeland, Mississippi, United States
Reviewed October 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a wedding over a long weekend. This was a perfect location for us. It was in walking distance of so many of the attractions and the Red Line is right outside the hotel. It was clean and comfortable with a helpful staff.

There is a Starbucks in the lobby of the hotel that is open in the mornings.

I think the worst part for us (which isn't under the hotel's control) was all the noise from the outside. There were several times what sounded to me like a fire truck went by, even in the middle of the night. I'm not sure much can be done in a building like that to help sound-proof the windows, but I definitely got woken up more than once. Just a consequence of staying in that busy of an area, I suppose.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

My best friend and I stayed at the HGI-Mag Mile last weekend. We wanted a great location an that's exactly what we got. Redline subway is outside the hotel, this takes you straight to Wrigley Field, 30 minute train ride. Tons of restaurant options nearby. Nordstroms is across the street. The Willis Tower is about a mile away. It was raining on the day we went so we cabbed it.
The hotel was perfectly clean. Nice indoor pool and hot tub to end the day and Weber Grill downstairs. We were very happy with out hotel choice and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank naomiq
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Stayed here while visting Chicago and attending the 2012 Ryder Cup.

The hotel is in a great location with easy access to the subway. The "Red" line subway stop is across the street from the hotel. It is about a 1 hour subway ride to O'Hare since there is a transfer involved. It is about a $12 cab ride to union station.

The hotel is walking distance to shopping that Chicago is known for. The magnificient mile area contains all the big name retail stores that are common to the United States. Restaurants of all varieties are within walking distance to the hotel (deep dish pizza, chophouses, italian restaurants, etc.)

The hotel room I shared with a friend was of sufficient size and contained a microware. The TV had good reception and contained a good variety of channels. I used the business center to print out a boarding pass on the morning of my departure.

The dining options at the hotel were also quite good. The hotel is attached to the Weber Grill restaurant which contains a fair size dining and bar area. A friend (hilton honors diamond member) also staying in the hotel provided me with daily breakfast vouchers. The breakfast was buffet style for the most common items such as cereal, bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, fruits, and yogurt. Other breakfast items such as poached eggs could also be provided request.

After a long day at the Ryder Cup, I dined with my friends at the Weber Grill and was pleasantly surprised. Everyone enjoyed there food. To give an idea of the restaurant quality, people were coming off the street to dine at the restaurant. The restaurant patrons were not limited to the hotel guests but were probably locals as well.,

Overall a good time was had at the hotel.

As a last note, a friend that travels over 100 nights per year and through Chicago a few times annually, insists on staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay at a higher floor for views and less street noise
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank hummer1829
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We had a nice stay at the Hilton Garden. It isn't the most exciting property out there, but there was little to complain about. The staff were very friendly at the front desk and elsewhere. Everything in our room worked well and the tv was modern. Given that I had to work one day in the room, a bonus was the ergonomically friendly desk chair. It was good to have a microwave and large fridge, and free wifi. Our north facing room had a decent view as well. Our bathroom was average size but one small issue is that the plumbing was somewhat noisy.

The fitness room was acceptable and it looked like there is an adjacent pool area. There is a Weber Grill onsite - there was an hour wait so we ended up carrying back to our room. Location is excellent - many nearby restaurants, bars, shops and a Trader Joe's and Jewel within a block. The Grand Red Line Station is directly below the property.

We received a great value for our room and were pleased with our stay.

Room Tip: North facing rooms had unobstructed views
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank rjc260
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Held a meeting there and although I didn't attend, the sales & catering staff did an excellent job to ensure my meeting ran smoothly. If I needed anything, all it took was an email and voila...!! In the age of declining customer service, the HGI went above and beyond for us. My attending team gave me great feedback. Thanks Hilton!!

1 Thank Kathi R