“very convenient, great value”

Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile
Ranked #59 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed December 30, 2007

I would return here for a clean, safe, comfortable place in an ideal central location for touring, with great service at the front desk. We stayed at the Peninsula a few years ago and that is a knock-your-socks-off world class luxury hotel. This is not -- it's a nice business class Hilton family property. But I would actually prefer to return to this one, instead of the Peninsula, because it is more centrally located, and I don't need to pay for all that luxury when we are out touring all day. We like to walk, and we were able to walk to the boat tours, the old Marshall Field in the Loop, Berghoff, the Sears Tower, Navy Pier, the Magnificent Mile and the Hancock building, all from the HGI. The Peninsula was a little bit further north, less convenient to the Loop, and so we found ourselves using many more cabs. We had a great lunch at Berghoff (weekday lunches on the main floor are as good as ever, including the homemade root beer) and we also had a lot of fun at dinner and great traditional food in a German neighborhood place to the north, the Chicago Brauhaus in Lincoln Square.

Stayed: September 2007

Reviewed December 19, 2007

I was in Chicago to have lasik surgery and the lasik center recommended this hotel because it was close and they give a discount for people going to the center. We got there before check in because of my appointment time and the front desk was great. The room was not ready but said that they would keep our bags and take them to the room when it was ready. The woman working at the desk and the gentleman that helped with the bags were so nice. They both ask how I was doing when I got back from the center and also told us about the restaraunts in the area. It was a great stay!!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Denise R
Reviewed December 16, 2007

This hotel has so many good reviews that we decided to book it for our two week stay in Chicago. 2 years ago, we stayed in the Palmer House Hilton so thought we'd try its little sister!

We're now in the second week of our stay and I must say, I'm really disappointed in the hotel. Don't get me wrong, the hotel itself is ideally placed with the red line El (Grand) right outside the door and the Mag Mile within walking distance. Also, the staff are friendly and the room bigger than expected, clean and tidy.

Our main issue is noise. From everywhere. We're on the 13th floor and can hear absolutely everything either of our neighbours does, especially when in the bathroom which is embarrassing for both parties! You can hear word for word everything your neighbour says if you're in the bathroom whilst they're talking in their own room. At nightime, you can hear the toilets flushing on either side and if someone decides to have a late night/early morning bath or shower then believe me, you'll know about it!

Also, even with the "do not disturb" sign positioned on your door, you'll be sure to hear the maids as they go about their daily duties, shouting out to each other from the other end of the corridor. We've also had other guests stand outside our door and have animated conversations on their mobiles, or with other guests in the middle of the night.

The air conditioning unit is another story altogether and for the first few nights, ours was coming every ten minutes then going off again. We reported this and were advised an engineer would look at it but haven't heard anything since. We've came up with our own way of making sure the outburts are now shorter so our sleep isn't disturbed too much during the night.

We considered asking for a room move but reckon all the rooms must be the same, we've came to the conclusion that the walls are made of tissue paper.

All in all, the hotel is certainly a nice place, and has the bonus of having three pc's in the business centre which you can access free internet but please, if you're coming here for peace and quiet then I'd choose another hotel.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 9, 2007

We booked our hotel in early November for a one night stay in early December. We used expedia and got a rate of $99 plus tax. The great thing is that parking is only $22 a night if you self park with no in/out privelages. The parking garage is attached to the hotel so it is convenient. We had a room with a king bed, microwave, mini-fridge, coffee maker, blow dryer and more. The room felt exceptionally clean. The bed was a therapeutic. The comforter was white and soft and you could tell it is kept clean. It felt like home, not the tacky, old multi-colored comforters/bedspreads many hotels use. The view was good. The staff was nice and helpful. There is a pool and jacuzzi tub on the 12 floor along with a business center. The pool is a bit small but very clean and the jacuzzi was wonderful. The hotel is in a great location with easy walking to the magnificant mile on Michiagn Ave and much more. There is a mini-starbucks store right in the lobby. The restaurant P.F. Changs is attached to the hotel along with a grill with a nice bar. I would go back to this hotel again, even if I didn't get the same great rate. It is tough to get that low of a parking rate at most hotels.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kimberly000
Reviewed November 11, 2007

I attended a convention the week of Nov. 6th. Before I made my reservation, I tried to obtain a room at one of the more exclusive hotels, but they were sold out due to several conventions scheduled that week. The Hilton Garden Inn was a very pleasant surprise. My room offered a good view of the cityline, good size and comfortable linens. I am very picky about my sleeping quarters, and this was very suitable and very clean. The bathroom was adequate. The service and staff was great! This was my first trip to Chicago and I wanted to experience the luxury's that Chicago offers. The hotel is in a great location and the Weber Grill located in the hotel had good steaks. Also, on the corner, I dined at PF Changs, which is always very good. Make sure you visit the Hancock Observatory and dine on the upper level for lunch, make sure you visit the restroom for the view. Also, you can't miss the Navy Pier. My favorite, of course, was the shopping on the Magnificent Mile! What an experience. Needless to say, I came with luggage weighing 24lbs and left with 46lbs and two carry on shopping bags.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Movee
Reviewed October 14, 2007

I stayed in this hotel for leisure for five days and was overall quite satisfied with my experience. The big advantage of this hotel is its location - it is very conveniently located in the near north area just two blocks away from MagMile and a few more from the Loop. It is also one of the more inexpensive hotels in this area and offers spotlessly clean rooms, free high-speed Internet access and comfortable beds. The service we received was efficient and faultless. Additionally, I found the hotel much more quiet than I expected from reading some of the reviews on Tripadvisor. All in all, I found it was a good base for exploring Chicago.

What are the downsides? The rooms as well as the lobby are a bit on the small side by US-standards. The lobby and the adjacent Weber Grill Restaurant can become pretty crowded at times, especially during breakfast and dinner "rush hours". The Starbucks in the lobby has very limited opening hours (actually it was closed most of the time when I fancied a hot drink) which is not a big problem as there are various grocery stores and cafes around the hotel. All in all, it is not really a luxurious place to stay but rather a hotel that offers above-average standard at reasonable prices.

Would I stay there again? On a similar occasion, yes.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2007

The hotel is in a great location, however the rooms and amenities are below expectations. The night I stayed their website price was $405 a night - I pricelined for about $90. The latter price was more than enough. The rooms are small. The staff are way less than three star. Take it from a seasoned traveler.... ok, but don't pay a lot for this.

• Stayed: August 2007