“Very nice”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Very nice”
Reviewed November 5, 2010

Spent five nights here. Excellent downtown location. All staff were very nice and helpful. Room was very quiet. There was a fire station nearby but I did not hear it. The Hampton Inn breakfast has improved since my last stay at one of the hotels in this chain.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed November 3, 2010

This hotel was a great place to stay and had all the amenities I was looking for as well as being centrally located to restaurants and bars

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed October 31, 2010

This is great hotel with full of nice staffs. You can feel true welcome from their greeting and services. I spent 5 days at Hilton Chicago for business, and my experience with Hilton Chicago wasn't good (due to strike and unfriendliness of hotel staffs).

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2010

We stayed here for 4 nights using Hilton Honors points. We were trying to use as few points as possible and only this hotel and Doubletree were level 5 hotels, all the others downtown were 6. We chose this one because of the free breakfast, and because it seemed a slightly better location.

WOW! I've stayed at Hampton Inns before, but never like this. From the moment the doorman with a big smile opens the front door for you, you think you are staying at a 5 star hotel. And it just keeps on coming with the outstanding check in desk staff (thank you Stephanie, you are the BEST!), to the bell desk, to the housekeeping, to the breakfast room.

Talking of breakfast, the room is great. On the second level with glass all around for city views, food all pretty good (except fro the liquid eggs used for the scrambled eggs, not so good): Activia yoghurt, Thomas's English muffins, decent bagels, great waffles!, fruit, name brand cereals, etc. all in a clean, well managed room.

Bed was VERY comfortable with a sponge pillow and a down/feather one to suit all tastes. Hotel lobby is great, with afternoon freshly popped popcorn, all corridors are clean and very well kept. This really feels like a much fancier hotel than a regular Hampton Inn.

The only bad news is the SIRENS. Loud and several times during the day and night, coming from the fire station next door, which also dispatches ambulances so it's not just the occasional fire. We were in a king bed room. I think all kings are on the fire station side, so the doubles on the other side might not be as bad. But we use a sound machine (those things that make white noise) and it did a great job of drowning out the noise at night so we were never woken up. The hotel also offers free earplugs. Even without the sound machine, after a short while we didn't even really notice the sirens, and I would definitely not let the noise be a deal breaker to this otherwise perfect hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank iwasjustwandering
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed October 31, 2010

My stay at this hotel started with great promise. The checkin was extremely friendly, the location is better than I expected for the price. And, if the room were hygenic - it would have been a good value, with the free breakfast and all.

Unfortunately, the entryway and bathroom are done in white tile. And it looked like they hadn't mopped in weeks.

I called down that morning to ask them to mop the floor. Okay - perhaps a maid made a mistake, and the last folks in the room were messy. That would be forgivable. At that point, I would have been happy with a cleaned floor.

Came back after an afternoon of museum-going and shopping - and the floor looked exactly the same. I called the manager, who said "We've got new floor tiles - I've got 3 complaints about this so far today. It's part of the tile pattern, it's not dirty." (Do most people buy white tile that LOOKS dirty? Or skillfully installs so that bootprints line up on multiple tiles?) I asked her to come up. She wiped her dry finger against some of the stains, and pointed out that no dirt was on her finger - and that was "proof" to her. They told me that they'd try to mop it again - even though they kept saying that the floor was not filthy-dirty.

I waited for a half hour, just to see what they did when they mopped the floor - but I had to leave. I never saw the maid again. She may have come when I was away - I don't know. But the floor looked the same when I returned.

My first call to Hilton to complain was met with a telephone operator who insisted that, if the manager wouldn't help me, there's nothing she could do, and refused to register my complaint. I called the special "Silver member" line (which I am), who at least took my complaint seriously - but would not offer anything other than to email management.

I really didn't feel like I could take a shower in the morning and touch that tile floor. So much for my weekend trip. I cut my weekend trip short and drove home that night.

The funny thing? This was a "rewards" stay. Intended as a special gift for loyal frequent business clients. This is a reward that I would rather not have had.

3 Thank Scott_L42
HamptonRiverNorthGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, January 28, 2011
Dear Scott_L42,

I am very sorry that you had this kind of experience with our hotel. My team takes a lot of pride keeping our hotel up to our guest’s expectations. I am very sorry that your experience was not up to par. I assure you that we take cleanliness very seriously and we have addressed this issue so that no other guests have this type of problem in the future. Every last detail matters to our guests and we do our best to exceed those expectations.

I hope that if your travels bring you back to Chicago, we can have an opportunity to regain your loyalty.

Andrew Scarlett
Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown
New Jersey
Reviewed October 30, 2010

This hotel would be a Great hotel but for the fact that there is a fire station right across the street. The Pros: Very Clean, Modern, Great Rooms & Services, Friendly staff, Location is outstanding and the value is great. Also the free breakfast which is pretty decent in a big room on the 2nd floor is a nice perk.

The only con is the fire station next door. I was on the top floor not facing the station and I woke in the middle of the night to the sirens. This wasn't a big deal to me as I was able to fall back to sleep again, but I am sure other people might not have it so easily.

But for the fire station, this would be a great hotel. If I am ever in Chicago again, I will stay here because the Pros outweigh the 1 con.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Nutley, New Jersey
Reviewed October 28, 2010

I am a very seasoned traveler. This was my second visit to Chicago in 5 months. I loved loved, loved this hotel...and city. It had my three C's Comfortable, Convienent, and Cozy. The breakfast was HOT !! and execellent choices,, so many. You can easily have brkfst at your leisure before starting your day and not rush to go out and find a usually cowarded place. The redline CTA is ONE BLOCK away. I walked to some amazing restuarants, like Table-fifty two, Graham Elliott and Frontera Grill which is one block around the corner. ( these places are very famous must have reservations in advance). The staff was stellar from the doorman to the frontdesk ( which is where most hotels ratings are affected). My room had granite countertops in my little kitchen area and a micorwave. I could heat up my leftovers. My room was trendy, immaculate and cool. I stood at the Hyatt in May 2010, they cannot hold a wick to this place. Yes , I will go back.. again for another weekend getaway. Oh one drawback is that is next to a fire department. But they will give you earplugs. don't worry a glass of wine and some earplugs you will be fine.

1 Thank misslee4jc