“Great Stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Siloam Spring
“Great Stay”
Reviewed June 21, 2007

Stayed 6 nights with 3 teens & 1 tween. Great location, close to dining, train stop, Michigan Ave., etc. Pool & hot tub were nice.
Rooms were clean & housekeeping did a great job. Rooms with kitchenettes are available and a nice size. Beware of side with firestation below. We had to get used to hearing sirens throughout the night. Great stay and would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank ondroad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
California
Reviewed May 29, 2007

We stayed at the 33 Illinois Avenue Hampton Suites from May 24 through May 29, 2007. What a great experience! The bed was large, clean, and comfy, with a beautiful white duvet and fluffy pillows. The room was large, had a reading chair with ottoman, a desk/desk chair, cable tv, in-room movies, free wireless internet, and a bar/counter with a built-in refrigerator, microwave, and bar sink. The bathroom had shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash, and moisturizer, along with fluffy towels.

The breakfast buffet, hands down, was the best I ever had in a hotel. Every day there were 2 or more hot items (varying between eggs, sausage, biscuits & gravy, and french toast), along with donuts, muffins, bagels, english muffins, jams, butter/margarine, peanut butter, and honey. There were also 3 different coffees, hot chocolate mix, milk, and 4 juices. Then there was the fresh fruit, and a ton of fresh bananas (and always fresh whole apples available in the lobby). Then there was a big choice of cold cereals, packets of oatmeal and grits, and yogurt. It was just amazing - with a staff that was friendly and just kept bringing stuff out.

The staff at the front desk was informative, friendly, and helpful. They were willing to help with directions, getting cabs, storing our luggage after checkout but before we had to leave for the airport, etc.

All in all, at a rate of under $200 (when the surrounding properties were well over that), we felt very lucky with the location (close to the El and the free trolley to the Navy Pier and points in between), the staff, the accommodations, the cleanliness, and the breakfast. It was a marvelous stay! Highly recommended!

• Liked — The morning buffet
  • Disliked — Close to a fire department - but big cities are like that!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank JaninSoCal
Buda, Texas
Reviewed May 26, 2007

I am at the Hampton for Memorial Day weekend. We have a corner suite on the 7th floor. the beds are super comfortable. We did hear a lot of sirens, but we got used to it after the 1st night. the breakfast is ok, not great but worked very well for us. We got a tray and took the food to our suite. The suite was awesome, my girls--11 year old twins said it was the nicest room they ever had and they've stayed in a lot of hotels. We have a big living area, with a dining area, kitchen and a separate bedroom. The corner suite has windows on two sides--lots of windows all the way across the wall. The pool and hot tub are nice, we've used them every night. I asked the maid for extra towels, and they were there today. I left a tip on the coffee maker and it's still there after maid service. We'll have to leave it when we check out. I really can't say enough good things about this hotel, great service from the staff--they are all very friendly and helpful. We came here to see the Mag Mile and museums and spend the day at American Girl Place and so far we have had a wonderful stay. We paid $199 a night for a corner suite 3 blocks off Michigan Ave, a great deal at a wonderful hotel. We have stayed at several Hampton's and will continue to do so. A really nice hote for the price. Highly recommend for families.

• Liked — the suite setup and the very comfortable beds
  • Disliked — bathroom fixtures are showing their age
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Sherrikt
Eire
Reviewed April 27, 2007

Stayed here for 4 nights. The most comfortable bed I have ever slept in with a choice of 4 pillows. Service was excellent - check in took less than 2 minutes. XL bed and large room. Complimentry buffet breakfast and free internet access are thrown in aswell. I would stay here again if I returned to Chicago.

• Liked — Large Rooms + excellent service
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Drew69
wisconsin
Reviewed April 10, 2007

Would have given them a 5 star rating but for the Chicago fire department. Not sure if any part of the hotel can escape the early morning sirens. Any room facing Illinois St. will definitely hear the noise (like being in a canyon). Maybe someone else can comment on rooms that don't face Illinois St.

Otherwise our room was very comfortable, and pretty big. The bed made it hard to get up in the morning.

The breakfast was better than continental, but not as good as some suite hotels that provide an on site chef. You do get some hot items, (eggs one day, waffles and sausage another). Otherwise, normal cold items like cereal, bagels, fresh fruit.

Our cost, for downtown Chicago, was pretty good, $161 plus taxes per night.

Public transportation was very convenient. Subway, 1 block. Busses 1 block. If you're visiting, try to leave the car at home and buy a CTA visitors pass. We paid for it within the first day.

• Liked — bed
  • Disliked — fire department noise
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank starmanWisconsin
Maryland
Reviewed April 8, 2007

Well, not a great way to get started. ...

I'm sitting in the lobby right now. I have been waiting for almost THREE HOURS for my room to be ready.

To be fair, it appears that check-in time is 3:00. I arrived at 11:30. So, sure, I can't expect a room to be ready. Sure, no problem. I had lunch, went to the business center, and otherwise sat around the lobby.

I gave the desk clerks space to have housekeeping get things together. I checked in with them I think 3-4 times to see if my room is ready. Each time they told me pretty soon, and I said, sure, I understand, Sure, no problem.

They said that they'd expedite my room cleaning.

I have heard them call housecleaning. But to no avail.....I am still waiting -- UNBELIEVABLE.

I wouldn't really mind so much if I weren't in the situation right now where I have to be cleaned up, dressed and ready for a business appointment in let's see... about an hour and fifteen minutes.

I explained this to the front desk, and --again, they are the nicest front desk people,-- and they said they understand, but here I am.

This is incredibly frustrating....

I don't understand anymore, and now it is getting to be a problem.

I think TripAdvisor reviews are really helpful. I'll keep you posted if this stay gets any better.

• Stayed April 2007
6 Thank Weekfun
Quebec City
Reviewed April 2, 2007

We've stayed at the Hampton Inn, downtown Chicago, from march 25 to 31, 2007. Generally, we liked our stay. Although the hotel was clean, well located, with very comfortable rooms (the beds are awsome!) and good service, it has a few bad sides worth mentionning. First: the presence, just across the street, of a firefighter station. And let me tell you there are lots of fires in Chicago and that sirens and lights are the rule to get there. Second, the breakfasts. The concept is very convenient, the food is fresh, but unless a bad coffee and some doughnuts is a breakfast to you, you might be a little disappointed.

In conclusion: not a bad choice, but bring ear plugs!

Stayed March 2007