“Great Location and good standards”

Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown
Ranked #44 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
UK
“Great Location and good standards”
Reviewed March 14, 2009

The location of this Hampton Inn is very convenient. Upon check in the staff were very friendly and helpful. The lobby was very nice and of a high quality standard. The hallway to the room did look a little dated but the room was very spacious, and decorated and furbished to a high standard for a city centre hotel. All of the staff we came into contact with were great and very hospitable.
Great value, great staff, would definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Birmingham, AL
Reviewed March 8, 2009

I've stayed in this hotel several times, and I have to say that things are getting pretty bad. We dealt with maids not observing the "do not disturb sign" early in the morning, fire trucks blairing all hours of the night, and teenage kids in the hallways screaming and slamming doors.

I'm not generally very picky when it comes to hotels. I want a clean room and sound sleep. You'll only get one of the two at this property.

Also, the clothes washing situation is deplorable. There are two washers and two dryers for the whole hotel. They each require $1.50 to operate plus $1.50 for detergent. That's $4.50 per load of clothes... ALL IN QUARTERS!!! The front desk didn't have quarters, so I went to the bar -- no quarters. I walked down to the Seven11, Subway, another Seven11, and down two city blocks looking for quarters. It was absolutely ridiculous. It takes 18 quarters to do a load, and I had two loads to wash! The hotel staff couldn't have cared less.

All this to say, I definitely would NOT stay in this hotel again. There are plenty of other options in Chicago.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank eemsdad
HamptonRiverNorthGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, February 18, 2011
Dear eemsdad,

Thank you for your response. I am sorry you had this kind of experience with our hotel. I understand that this is a year and a half later, but I wanted to let you know that the hotel and under gone a full renovation since you have last stayed here.

You mentioned some very good opportunities for our team to work on: do not disturb signs, availability of change at the front desk, as well as our guest laundry and noise from other guests. Each of these items has been address so that no other guest has that kind of experience.

I know that sometimes we fall short of our guests expectations, but I am very confident that if you were to stay with us again, we would exceed your expectations. Please feel free to contact me directly next time you come to town.

Kind regards,

Andrew Scarlet
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed December 31, 2008

To be honest I've never stayed at the Hampton Inn Suites i've opted for 4 star hotels but I was surprised upon checking and seeing the room. The rooms are very clean, very comfortable beds, makes you want to sleep in but I'll tell you about that later. Very friendly staff at the desk and hotel staff, nice amenities shopping all around. I was on this trip for a 3 day NewYears Eve get away with friends. If you stay out all night and pull an allnighter, good luck trying to sleep in. Aside this hotel being downtown, which is understandable for the noise. The yelling and screaming of kids in adjacent rooms or hallway is terrible. Great rates but I advise if you don't mind the running and bumping of kids in adjacent room this hotel is great. Other than that a different hotel or move to a different room is advisable.

• Liked — Excellent Rate
  • Disliked — Too many families with noisy children
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank gdmuscle
Madison, WI
Reviewed December 10, 2008

We spent one night at the Hampton Inn in downtown Chicago with family and friends. This was mostly a shopping and dining trip, so the location was great. A few blocks from Michigan Ave and a lot of good dining choices in within 3-4 blocks.

The hotel staff was efficient and pleasant at check in, check out and all requests in between.

Our double bed room on the sixth floor was okay. The size of the room was average and it a refresh of the decorations would be nice, but it was clean. The beds were soft, maybe a little too soft, and a little small, but adequate. The 37" flat screen TV was a nice touch, although the remote was touchy.

The bathroom was bright white and large. The fixtures and plumbing were again, a little dated, but functioned just fine.

The room rate included a continental breakfast. As this was a weekend morning it was very busy and the staff had a hard time keeping up with the popular food choices, which were the eggs and sausage. Otherwise a good selection of hot and cold foods for this type of spread.

Overall, the hotel is fine, in a good location if you need to be near Michigan Ave. The rate for the room was no great bargain. We would stay there again.

• Liked — Great staff, flat screen tv
  • Disliked — Softness of beds
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank blairb366
KY
Reviewed December 4, 2008

Husband & I come to Chicago every Thanksgiving week. We've stayed numerous places throughout the years. And, the Hampton is a very nice hotel. It was a milestone birthday for me so I asked for a room - highest floor -- and we ended up w/ a large corner suite due to having HiltonHonor Cards. Had separate bedroom and full kitchen w/ a bar. Work area and sitting area. It was really spacious. Also Rm. 1230 looked out on the Trump Tower which is almost complete. Didn't use the onsite restaurant but it looked nice and reasonable. The Free Breakfast was efficiently handled. Robust Coffee was great! Location was perfect w/ lots of restaurants and shopping w/in a few blocks. We always hit Boston Blackies on Grand and Giordano's up on Rush St. Staff at the hotel were always pleasant. Room was ready when we got there and check out was a breeze.

• Liked — Location & size of the room
  • Disliked — Noisy hallway doors that slam because people are too inconsiderate to gently let them close.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Saratoga Springs, NY
Reviewed December 4, 2008

My family and I were in Chicago for Thanksgiving and stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites Downtown. We can't say enough good things about our visit there. The hotel staff was helpful and gracious, the decor was tasteful and soothing and the suite was spacious and immaculately clean. The location was convenient, close to the Miracle Mile as well as all forms of public transportation and restaurants. We would stay there again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Michigan
Reviewed November 6, 2008

THE STAFF WAS VERY UNFRIENDLY. Room was supposed to be available at 3 p.m. but we could not get into ours until 5 p.m. AND it was not the room we reserved because our room supposedly had an odor that the previous traveler left behind from cooking something in the kitchenette! Gross. Also, found several hairs in the bathroom. How gross is that?! Would not recommend this hotel to anyone....not even my worst enemy.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Love2Travel044
Dear Love2Travel044,

Thank you for response. I assure you that our goal is to provide spotless room and impeccable service to each and every one of our guests. I am so sorry that your stay was obviously far short of the kind of experience that we should have provided to you.

I know I cannot make up for the stay you had with us from a couple of years ago, but you have my personal assurance that if you came back and stayed again, we would change your opinion of this hotel.

My team and I look forward to serving you again in the future.

Kind Regards,