“Great Location to Explore the City”

Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown
Ranked #49 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 29, 2014

The location of the Hampton Inn in River North is ideal for exploring the city. We lived in the Chicago suburbs for many years before moving away. Our Summer vacation took us back to Chicago with our son who was too young to remember Chicago when we left. We chose the Hampton Inn Chicago because of it's Tripadviser reviews and proximity to restaurants and public transportation. The hotel & rooms are nice and the staff is friendly. We stayed in a suite so that our son had his "own room" and we did too. The sound of the city can be a bit loud, but ear plugs help greatly (available at the front desk). We did not have breakfast at the hotel, but chose to explore some restaurants that specialize in breakfast. Overall, it was a good hotel, but we did not feel that it was worthy of a #1 ranking on Tripadviser.

1  Thank Rick H
Alex S, Guest Experience Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2014

Hey Rick,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review and for the kind words about our hotel. I'm glad you were able to stay in one of our suites and have the extra room. They're so spacious it makes them perfect for traveling families. Our location is great so its nice that you were all able to take advantage of that while you were with us. I hope we have the chance to see you next time you come into the city.

There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown

Reviewed June 28, 2014

I wasn't surprised. I always get great service. This hotel was near everything I needed to get to. The staff was friendly. There's a bar area downstairs that I didn't use this time, but looked to be very nice

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Alex S, Guest Experience Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2014

Hello Linn,

Thank you so much for all the great compliments about our hotel. I'm glad we worked out perfectly for you, and I hope you truly enjoyed your experience with us. Hopefully we can have you as our guest again in the future.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

My Mum and I recently returned from a few days in Chicago. Have stayed here before and decided to upgrade to a suite this time. Loads of space, and having a coffee percolator in the room was perfect. Outdoor terrace was disappointingly bare, nothing like the picture on the website but couldn't complain otherwise. Loads of choice at breakfast. Very convenient location for all downtown and easy to get to from the airport on the blue line. Still haven't seen everything so will be back again ...

Hey JoeySarah,

I really appreciate the great review and all the compliments about our hotel and staff. I'm happy to know you'll be back, and I have good news. Our outdoor terrace will be more inviting than when you were with us. We are in the process of revamping part of it and have progressively taken some stuff out of the area in order to prepare for the job. Also, we have brand new furniture we will be putting out as soon as it wraps up in a week or so. Hopefully if you return you'll be able to enjoy it. Hope you had a safe trip home!

Reviewed June 25, 2014

My husband, daughter & I stayed at Hampton Inn & Suites conveniently located in the downtown area making it easy to walk to all the places that we had planned to see! Very clean & QUIET! I never heard anyone at all while there. The beds lie GREAT! Such a great hotel! Enjoyed the Continental breakfast! I do recommend this hotel for anyone wanting to enjoy the CITY LIFE!

The Outlaw's, North Carolina

Room Tip: Our room was perfect!
2  Thank Bonnie O

Hey Bonnie,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! I'm happy to know your family had a good vacation and appreciate you including us to be part of it. Like you said, our beds are GREAT! I slept in them for the first time this winter when I got stuck in from a winter storm, and I was really impressed with how comfortable they were. Considering I have a bad back I'm quite picky. I hope we get to have your family as our guests again in the future!

Reviewed June 24, 2014

I stayed here for the whole thanksgiving week last year. Staff was friendly, and the hotel had everything we would be needing then. The location is convenient, and the room clean. The brand offers free and hot breakfast every day. Besides,I like free printing services Hilton provides(as always^_^)

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank HHHCCCYYY

Hey HHHCCCYYY,

I appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review and for the compliments about our hotel and staff. I hope you enjoyed your experience with us over that holiday week. I would have to agree we are really affordable for all that we offer for being in the city. I hope we get to see you again next year, or even sooner!

Reviewed June 24, 2014

So much nicer than the run-of-the-mill Hampton Inn! Bright rooms, nice decor. We had a big 2 room suite - and it was more than fine. So, check in was not as friendly as I have become accustomed to - arrived at 2, no room as ready - even though I had asked for an early check in. They said they would call when it was ready, they did not. They also missed a wake up call, which was not a big deal - as I woke up before we missed our flight. Breakfast was CROWDED. But food was fine. Very good location, and later interactions with front desk showed that most of those who man it are very nice. but, yes, the Chicago FD is next door, so you will hear them at any hour.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the West are farther away from the Fire Dept...

Hello Pepelevoo,

I appreciate the great comments about our hotel and team! I would have to agree you you 100% in the sense that we are not the "run-of-the-mill Hampton Inn". We have unique decor,an original lobby, and among many things an outstanding staff! Im sorry about the wake up call and the check in time. I'll have to talk to them about that. The breakfast gets slammed every day around 9. We do our best to prepare for this, but I always tell guests that the best time to stop to eat is typically 45 mins before of after 9. I hope you had a safe trip home and look forward to having you as our guest in the future!

Reviewed June 23, 2014

With a great location, good pricing and attentive staff. Free breakfast can be for the hardy or the easy eaters, and the comp newspapers provide excellent start for the day. Room amenities were just fine, wi-fi throughout and personal computers in the business office; clean swimming pool; flat-screen; room clean and quiet and much more. No room service, but take-away near and since Chicago is the home to the food industry, you won’t notice. Was there 5 nights and while occupancy with families and children increased on the weekend it was still a calm place. Exceptional place for all and good value too.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Hey abletokhuna,

I wanted to thank you for all of the compliments about our hotel and staff! I think we have such a great hotel with so many features, and its always reassuring to hear the same thing from our guests. I truly hope you enjoyed your experience with us. You mentioned our location in relation to food and you're absolutely correct. We are surrounded by some of the best restaurants in the city, and many of them are affordable as well. Hopefully we have the opportunity to have you as our guest in the future!

Have a great week!