“Great hotel and staff”

Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown
Ranked #49 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 31, 2014

I was in the city for a convention taking place at McCormick place and needed close, affordable, convenient accommodations. The hotel was very top notch and at first glance I knew how lucky I was at finding such a great place. It's located at the very heart of Chicago and is within walking distance from a lot of great restaurants/bars and the Magnificent Mile. But that is not to say that the Restaurant located within the hotel isn't good. It was a really nice place to come and take a load off with a drink or two. The atmosphere is very casual and the staff were really friendly. Upon check-in I was immediately greeted with a genuinely friendly smile and a warm welcome by the hotel's manager Robert. Unfortunately I did not get his last name but he made sure my check-in was fast and efficient. I cannot say enough about how great the room was, and the view was spectacular, which is everything you would hope for in a hotel located at the heart of Chicago. The staff were very friendly and made for a more relaxed experience, especially when I had been out walking and on my feet all day. This was a great hotel and I will definitely be returning for next years convention.

Room Tip: The front desk staff is very accommodating but one must keep in mind the occupancy when asking for a...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Alex S, Guest Experience Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Hey Alfredo,

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave us such a comprehensive review, uploading pictures, and for sharing your experience with us. Those were some really good pictures by the way, so a special thanks for adding them to our site. I'm really glad to hear you enjoyed your experience with us and your time in the city at the convention. When the conventions are in town the city gets even busier than it typically is. Our location is really good for just about everything and particularly for good food. Centered in the heart of the restaurant district there are plenty of great options for lunch and dinner. I really hope we have the chance to have you as our guests again in the future, and look forward to seeing you again.

There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown

Reviewed May 31, 2014

Location: one block from Red Line trains for travel north and south, with easy access to good bus lines. Bedroom: very large room, most comfortable bed, design fairly typical of a chain but with a certain individuality, with sink, fridge etc. Self service safe in the room. Wifi good. Breakfast: ample and tasty from 6am every day - a real bonus that early start. The personnel were always friendly and helpful. There were college groups there at the time but this caused no trouble at all. The staff at reception, in the breakfast room and housekeeping are obviously skilled at dealing with a wide range of customers. The whole place felt clean, warm and safe. Several bars/restaurants are part of the same complex. Good hotel in a good location- the neighborhood was full of life, plenty of places to eat and drink.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Alex S, Guest Experience Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

Hello John,

I really appreciate both the comprehensive review of our hotel and all the great comments about us! I'm happy to hear you guys enjoyed your experience with us. I'm glad you referred to our staff a few times. They are some of the best people I've worked with in my years of hospitality. They all give 110% everyday and genuinely care about each and every guest. We look forward to serving you again in the future!

Reviewed May 29, 2014

1st time to chicago and counldn't have found a better places to stay. room was nice and clean with small fridge and micro if you need. in the center of town and close to transportaion. really nice staff would stay here again if i were to come back to chicago

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Hey Bernard,

I appreciate all the great comments about our hotel and for sharing your experience with us. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your first trip to Chicago and hope you'll be coming back someday. Our staff truly are some of the best in town and its good to see that you were able to see that as well.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed at the Hampton Inn on West Illinois for two nights over Memorial Day weekend after attending a family wedding about an hour outside Chicago.

The hotel is in a good central location, close to everything. We walked most places but we also took the bus and the el, which were not far away. The free breakfast was terrific, and the staff was very helpful, friendly, and efficient.

The room was fine, There were two double beds for four of us but we have stayed in Hampton Inns many times before so we knew what to expect.

Keep in mind there is a $55/night parking fee if you bring a car. Also it will take anywhere from 10-20 minutes for valet to bring your car around, so call ahead from your room a few minutes before you come down.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Hello Bob,

I'm glad you enjoyed your time with us and I hope the wedding went well. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed our location and were able to take advantage of it. Outside of our staff its one of the best things about our hotel. It makes doing just about anything around the city so convenient. I hope you all had a safe trip back to New York!

Reviewed May 27, 2014

Great staff - great rooms - great breakfast! We could walk everywhere. Everyone was so helpful and the rooms was perfect. Highly recommend the suites - much bigger and not a huge difference in price. The breakfast was the best I have had a hotel. Much more than a continental breakfast.. Great coffee and always fresh. Bellman and front desk staff were so polite and helpful. Love this hotel and will stay there again and book my clients there too. Great for business or pleasure. My kids loved it too.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank BloomTravel

Hello Bloomtravel,

On behalf of everyone at the hotel I would like to thank you for such a great review. Honestly, I love reading reviews like yours, and it truly makes my day. When I know that our guests had a excellent overall experience with us I know were doing something right. I'm happy your kids had a good time with us as well. As one of the more family friendly hotels in downtown, having a pool and great breakfast options always helps win them over. I really hope we have the chance to have your family as our guests again in the future.

Reviewed May 25, 2014

Looking for a place to headquarter in downtown Chicago and not pay an arm and a leg, my wife and I plus another couple picked the Hampton Inn & Suites Downtown Chicago and could not have been more pleased with our choice. As largely uninformed (and early arriving) tourists/travelers, we got outstanding guidance, directions, attraction recommendations, and restaurant reservation assistance from front desk personnel. Our suites (mini-kitchen) were spacious and very comfortable though not quite spotless – the housekeeping staff missed a few details e.g., restocking glassware, emptying the ice bucket and replacing the liner. The flow rate of water from the tap into the sink is irritatingly slow, but the flow rate from the shower head is fine. The fitness center was excellent – two each of recumbent bicycles, treadmills, and elliptical trainers, and each was high-end (Precor) with integrated cable TV; towels and sanitary wipes were plentiful and much appreciated. The breakfast offered an excellent selection of hot & cold items, better than average for the many Hampton properties we’ve experienced in the past few years. Access to the CTA Red Line is two short blocks away and the Loop is one stop south. The next time we want to spend time in Downtown Chicago, we’ll start by trying to book our stay at the Hampton Inn & Suites.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank GeezersOnTheGo-123

Hello,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us and providing us with such a comprehensive review of the hotel. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. It truly makes me feel a sense of accomplishment as we've succeeded as a team to have a great experience with our guests. Hopefully next time you're staying in Chicago we get to see you again.

Reviewed May 25, 2014

The Hampton inn and suites cnr of illlinios and dearbourne is across the street from the Chicago fire department and emergency medical services - It's impossible to sleep through the night sadly because it's a great location for tourists.

Room Tip: away from dearborne street
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello Graeme,

I'm sorry to hear that the urban noise kept you from quality sleep during your time with us. I hope that your experience with us outside of this was positive. The city of Chicago can be very loud at times, even at night. For our lighter sleepers I suggest requesting for an interior room, as it drastically cuts down on the noise level. I sure hope you give us another chance in the future!