“beware of the firehall!”

Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown
Ranked #54 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 5, 2008

We just returned from a 5 night stay at the Hampton Inn. The suite was very large and roomy. Location handy to everything. Staff were courteous and helpful. Continental breakfast the usual. The only con was that we were located across from a firehall. This was very annoying and I'm a sound sleeper! I asked to be moved to a room further away from the firehall but nothing was available. My experience leads me to not recommend this hotel unless you bring ear plugs!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank neatfrk
Write a ReviewReviews (2,574)

Reviewed July 18, 2008

We just returned from ten days traveling around the midwest and especially enjoyed our stay at the Hampton Inn and Suites - Downtown, Chicago. Compared to surrounding hotels, this hotel offered great value for the price. Some of the amenities included an indoor pool for the kids and indoor hot tub for adults with an adjoining outdoor deck on the hotel's second floor. There was a fitness room and business center, which we didn't use, but we did enjoy the free hot breakfast every day. The offerings changed from day to day, but included things like ham, sausage, eggs with cheese and ham, along with the usual cereal, hot cereal, bagels, toast, and warm biscuits (which my daughter loved!) Especially nice was the proximity to so much of downtown Chicago. We never took our car out of valet parking. (Incidentally, valet parking with in and out privileges at this hotel runs $38 a day; it's $25 without the in and out privileges. We opted for the higher price valet service, not realizing that we wouldn't need it.) We walked to Navy Pier (just a few blocks), Macy's (the old Marshall Fields), and even to Shedd Aquarium, although that was 2 - 3 miles away and we ended up riding the free trolleys back. We also walked to Gino's Pizza East (I highly recommend it if you have kids, but take a few extra dollars as it's pricey) and in heading this direction, discovered our hotel was also within just 3 or 4 blocks of the EL. Finally, we walked to Millenium Park (also a great place to take kids.) Wednesday evening, we discovered the hotel offered a free manager's reception with wine and hors d'oeuvres. Overall this was a great experience and we'd definitely return!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank LoveABeagle
Reviewed July 6, 2008

Our family just returned from a holiday weekend in downtown Chicago. We've been to Chicago at least five times and really enjoy visiting this wonderful city.

We booked our stay at the Hampton after reading the reviews, We got a great rate including parking for the holiday weekend. Upon our arrival I asked for a suite upgrade and it was handled wonderfully by the staff.

Overall we were happy with the room even though it could have used some upgrades. We found the staff very helpful during our stay and the breakfast offered each morning was decent. The proximity of the hotel to Michigan Ave. was pretty good, about 3 blocks away. For the price we found the hotel to be in a good loaction with good access to all of the attractions via walking, bus, taxi or the subway.

Ok here is our BIG GRIPE about this hotel which will prevent us from staying here again. Directly across the street from the hotel is a working FIRE STATION. If you've ever been to Chicago you know how frequent these vehicles operate. Anyway, throughout the night (and average of 3 times per night) the trucks would roll-out of the station blasting their sirens and horn. I can't begin to explain how loud this was during the middle of the night. There is no way one could not be awaken by this noise. I don't at all blame the firemen as they are doing their jobs, but again it's not the best combination tom have a hotel next door to a firestation.

Just be aware if you do stay here you're going to have to deal with the extreme noise from the fire trucks across the street!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank Rich01Cards
Reviewed July 3, 2008

This hotel is a find. Yes it is two star but it is more like a 3 star hotel. The beds are big and comfy. The hotel was quiet. There is a fridge in the room. The Bathrooms are big. Breakfast was included but can get crowded. We paid an internet rate of $134/night and had WIFI. We arrived at 5 am on a red eye, room was ready, and we even had a full breakfast before going to bed. The hotel is near the italian pizzerias (e,.g. Ginos) and hot dog places. There is a Nordstrom right across the street and a 7-11. Shopping is right there off the Magnificent Mile. You do need a taxi or transit to get to the museums (e.g. Chicago Art Museum). Lastly, washing machines on premise, what more do you want?

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MarianaG
Reviewed July 3, 2008

This is a perfectly adequate, nice little hotel in a good location in Chicago near the Magnificent Mile and the Loop. Its rooms are nice, even if they aren't fancy. Great blankets on the beds. The staff is very helpful, the pool and hot tub are nice, and the restaurants in the building are quite good as well.

But it needs to be said that if you stay at this hotel you risk hearing sirens at all hours of the day due to the firehouse next door. We even requested a room change to the side of the building farthest from the firehouse (which the staff granted us as soon as they could), but we still heard sirens.

I knew about the firehouse before I booked, thanks to this website. However, it didn't seem to bother most of the reviewers, and some people we talked to at the hotel also didn't seem bothered by it. After I got some earplugs it wasn't much of a problem for me either. But it's something to take into consideration.

P.S. I am from New York City, so it's not like I'm not used to city noises.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Myradith
ImTravlinLight, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thanks for sharing your experience of your recent stay with us. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve. I appreciate the comments as we are always looking for ways to improve the hotel & service we give our guests.

I am sorry that you encountered outside noise during your stay. The great thing about being in a dense urban downtown is the excitement of many people, things to do with a constant a hustle & bustle; however, with that comes noise. As with most hotels in downtown, street noise is something that will be encountered: Downtown Chicago is a dense, bustling city with lots of city noise including emergency vehicles that may be heard throughout all hours of the day. Most guests are not generally disturbed by the noise, but we realize that each person has their own sensitivity to it. For those light sleepers or to those not accustomed to city noise we do offer earplugs at the front desk.

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate suggestions to improve our hotel for our guests. If you would live to discuss your stay any further, please reach out to me directly.

Ross Guthrie

Reviewed June 23, 2008

Got to the hotel around 4:30 P.M. parked in front of the hotel and was greated by the vallet crew. When I booked my room at the Hampton web site I pre purchased the vallet parking along with the room. I would strongley suggest this especialy if you are going to walk instead of drive in the city. The Cost for overnight parking is $38.00 per night. But what are you going to do?

Checking in was quick and easy. The rooms were nice, we stayed pretty simple with a double queen. I heard nothing thru the walls the entire time I was there. Pool was very small and the Pool room would knock you down with chlorien smell.

Breakfast was great, just about the best I have had at a hotel. The location of this hotel is good with a little walk to Michigan Ave. I stayed here with my wife and two children (4&7) and would go back in a heart beat.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank JMOOREEllsinore
Reviewed June 10, 2008

I stayed here on June 5-8 2008. There is a review of my trip on the forum.

I checked in around 3.45pm with no problems whatsoever. I noticed that there were free complimentary papers of the Wall Street Journal and USA Today to the left of the reception desk.

I had room 1130. I opened the door and couldn't believe how big the suite was. The lounge was huge with a small but adequate kitchen with fridgefreezer, microwave, dishwasher and bar/table.

The lounge had a sofa and a chair with footstool. The bed was fine as was the bathroom. The sink was outside of the bathroom and there was a wall hairdryer and toiletries.

There was a tv in the lounge and in the bedroom. I received a note to say that the tv's were being replaced by 37" LCDs over the next few weeks.

Breakfast was great with a varied selection. It was great to have strawberries, chopped pineapples and oranges. The scones were lovely as was the chocolate muffin. There was two items of hot food which consisted of mini-omelettes and one other item which I didn't know. The juices (cranberry, guava) and coffee/tea were fine.

On the 2nd floor, there was the swimming pool and the business center with the free internet and superb consumable facilities such as fax, printer and stationary equipment. You need your room card to gain entry.

The location of the hotel was great. Turning right out of the hotel, there is a 7-Eleven across the road (30 yards away). I stocked up on bottled water and the odd chocolate bar.

Right on the 7-Eleven is the free trolley bus which takes people to Navy Pier. This was excellent and really convenient. On the way back, I waited about 20 minutes and the queue was long.

To get to Michigan Avenue, I walked up Dearborn until I hit Ohio and then turned right. This was because I avoided any stairs going up or down and in fact, apart from Nordstrom and the shops there, there wasn't much there. The main stores are from Ohio to Water Place.

In terms of eating, there are a lot of decent eateries nearby. I eat quite reasonably though not necessarily healthily! I went to Boston Blackies (164 East Grand Avenue, between Michigan and St Clair), Gino's East (633 N. Wells St. (Ontario and Wells) and Cafe Iberico (737 N La Salle Dr (Chicago and La Salle). All three places were busy and there was a good atmosphere. The food was fine and reasonably-priced.

As I left the hotel on Sunday, I turned left and walked around the corner to N.Clark St. There were some people preparing a film. I asked some people there and it was a film about John Dilinger starring Johnny Depp and Christian Bale filming Public Enemies! There were going to be there on Monday.

Initially, I was concerned about the distance between the River North and the Loop area but it was only about 15 minutes. I hardly caught any CTA trains and in fact, crossing the Chicago River was a great photo opportunity.

I would definitely stay in the River North area compared to the Loop area mainly for the eateries and shopping. The free shuttle to Navy Pier was a bonus while shops like 7-Eleven and Walgreen nearby are always handy when staying in any U.S city.

• Stayed: June 2007