“Great stay...somewhat pricey but good value”

Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown
Ranked #55 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 28, 2013

great location for the hotel. In the middle of a "happening" area. Tons of restaurants all around. Valet's were amazingly helpful, and very attentive, front desk staff had a little bit of attitude but overall were ok. Breakfast people were the nicest people ever. Would definitely go back to this hotel for work. For leisure, would wait for some sort of special...

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Alex S, Guest Experience Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

On behalf of everyone at the hotel I wanted to thank you for the comments about the property and our staff. We're surrounded by some of the cities best restaurants and entertainment. I will pass the comments about our Breakfast staff along to them. I agree, I think they're the nicest people I've ever encountered in a hotel's complimentary breakfast. Im sorry to hear about the attitude with the front desk. If you have the time I would greatly appreciate any additional feedback or specifics regarding the situation. I hope you had a good trip home and hopefully we'll see you in the future!

Thanks,

f:312-830-0333

Write a ReviewReviews (2,576)

Reviewed October 25, 2013

I stayed here for a girls getaway weekend in September 2013. There were 5 of us so the room size was perfect. We had 2 beds and a pullout sofa. The room also had a kitchenette which was very helpful. It would be nice if some of the downtown hotels would offer suites with one and a half baths (especially for groups of four or more like we had). The vanity area was small but adequate.
The location cannot be beat. We walked everywhere. I like this area because you can walk south to the loop and Millennium Park, walk north to Michigan ave shopping or east to Navy Pier. All about the same distance. Lots of restaurants and bars in this area.
The staff was nice and helpful. The beds are comfortable. The breakfast was decent (good enough to get you going in the morning). I really liked the outdoor terrace but wish it was open later than 10pm. We wanted to sit out there and have drinks but it was closed.
It rained one night and the front desk had at least a dozen umbrellas that were for guests to borrow, which we did. Staff was very helpful when we needed cabs as well.
Everything was clean and modern inside this hotel. Great value for the money.
I would absolutely stay here again with friends or my family.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank AngieT33

I wanted to thank you for taking time out of your day to leave a review, and also for such kind words about what we have here.

I completely agree with you on the quality of location. If I were to stay at a hotel downtown I would choose to stay where we are. In the end it will save you time, money, and work. And no body wants to works on vacation. Its very good to hear that you found the size of the room to be perfect, and I wish we had 1.5 baths in the suites (hopefully the vanity worked well enough). I'm happy to know you would stay here again and I hope we have the privilege of having you as guests in the future. I hope you ladies made it home alright!

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Hotel is in a great location in River North, near great restaurants and bars, train & bus stations. Room was clean, large and beds very comfy. Breakfast staff was excellent, the food was good and varied. Overall a great stay! The best thing is the location of this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you so much for all the kind words about our hotel!

I believe our location is one of the best things about our hotel as well. Were so close to everything that it saves most people money because they dont have to take cabs everywhere. We're surrounded by so many restaurants that it makes grabbing a bite to eat a breeze. Im glad to hear that you really liked our breakfast as well! Its one of the best I've ever seen and the staff sets it apart from the rest in my opinion.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Great hotel. Clean & friendly staff. Location was perfect. We walked almost everywhere. Beds at the Hampton are the most comfortable compared to all the hotel chains I have frequented (ALOT!!). The breakfast room is a great feature. Our family of 5 made good use of that each morning.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Alex S, Guest Experience Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

I really appreciate all the kind words you had about our hotel and staff. I'm happy to hear your family made good use of our breakfast room and enjoyed the breakfast! I consistantly hear comments about how comfortable our beds are. I really should spend the night sometime and see for myself. I completely agree with you about our location, I believe we have one of the best locations in town. I hope you had a safe trip back to Canada and have a great week!

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I was staying at this hotel as part of a wedding group. Everyone team member had a smile on their face and anticipated my needs before I could ask. The hotels location was ideal, as it was within walking distance to most attractions and shopping. The rooms were spotless; housekeeping was fantastic; the lobby was beautiful. Overall, it was a perfect experience.

1  Thank Lindsay L

Thank you for taking time out of your day to leave us such a kind review.

I'm glad to hear that you had a great experience with us! I hope the wedding and reception went well. We appreciate all the compliments. I'll make sure to pass on the one regarding housekeeping and the rest of our staff. I hope you had a safe trip home and we hope to see you if you ever make it back into town again.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We had a great check-in experience as my husband arrived later in the evening and without making a reservation. Matt at the front desk made sure we were very well taken care of. This is also in a great location to great bars/restaurants and all tourist hot spots. I would have liked to take the beds home with me though! haha.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Alex S, Guest Experience Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

On behalf of everyone at the hotel I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave such nice comments about our hotel and staff.

I will be sure to pass on the compliment to Matt. Hes great and is probably one of the best resources in the city for restaurant recommendations! Im glad you liked out location and beds so much. I really appreciate that you didn't take our bed home. Although, that would be quite the feat in itself you could always check out www.hamptonhomecollection.com. They have all the bedding that we have in our rooms. So hopefully you can get the comfort of our hotel at your home as well. Thanks again for choosing us and I hope we see you guys again in the future!

Reviewed October 17, 2013

During our recent stay my husband and I were both thoroughly impressed by the staff at this hotel. We are both in the service industry and as such we like to acknowledge exceptional service when we experience it. From the valet parking staff to the front desk and every person in between that we came in contact with, we were very impressed by their professionalism, friendliness and sincere desire to be of help. I travel a great deal for my job and I have the opportunity to experience both the best and the worst of hotel service and I’m delighted to say that my experience at the Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago-Downtown ranks up there in my top 10 best experiences! When my travels, either business or personal, require me to be in Chicago again, I will definitely be back.
The management of this property are to be commended for creating a culture of employees who truly know how to create a meaningful experience for the guests.

Room Tip: Just know that this property is across the street from Chicago Fire House #42. You will hear the amb...