“A real suite with a separate bedroom, great location and excellent service”

Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown
Ranked #47 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Tacoma
“A real suite with a separate bedroom, great location and excellent service”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Visited the Hampton because after much research find it is one that actually has a separate bedroom. Many of the suite hotels only have a pony wall dividing the master bed from the living area, for the same rate we can get a separate bedroom at the Hampton.
When we arrived check was quick and very someone was friendly, special request where addressed as well for extra pillows and a fan. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: We paid extra for the corner suite a really enjoyed the larger room with extra windows.
1 Thank kamTacoma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed August 14, 2013

What a great hotel! The staff was friendly at check-in and offered me popcorn. Hats off to the housekeeping staff! This was one of the cleanest hotels I've stayed at, which should be every hotels priority. The room, with its soft color scheme, was inviting and comfortable. The bed put me right to sleep. The location is perfect!!!! It's smack dab in the middle of where I needed to be. My only critique would be for all the staff to say a simple "Good morning, how are you?" For example, the breakfast staff, didn't say anything really. I would definitely stay again!!!!! Thanks for a room with a view! :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Ron J, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed yourself so much while you were here. We do take great pride in cleanliness as well as our location; I am glad you found it to your liking!

We do try and stress to each of our staff the importance of greeting our guests and I am sad to know that we did not follow through during your Experience. It is great to know that you would like to be with us again and can't wait for the opportunity to make your next Experience even better!

Holland MI
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Room - overall was clean and accommodating, double beds were comfortable. We wish there had been a mini-fridge in the room to store meal leftovers. We had requested and received a room away from the elevator, and the main street due to the fire station noise.

Amenities - we did not use the pool, hot tub, or breakfast bar on this visit.

Location - Once we valet parked at the hotel we walked to Navy Pier, and up-and-down Michigan Ave.; also walked to nearby Giordano's Pizzeria, and Yolk restaurant.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your kind words. We would have to agree that our location is excellent and glad that it helped with your Experience while you were here. Sorry that you could not take advantage of our great amenities such as pool or breakfast but hope that you can make it back to see us again and see if we can make your next Experience an even better one.

We also do have Mini Fridges available upon request should you need one on your next trip.

Seattle, United States
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Most everything was average or good except the sofa hide-a-bed. So uncomfortable! Our kids probably would have been better off sleeping on the floor with the flimsy mattress from the sofa bed underneath them. The free breakfast was a mad-house. No good place to sit and no brown or cane sugar for the oatmeal. The front desk was helpful. Very disappointed that the pool closed at 10pm.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

I am sorry to hear that your Experience was less than Spectacular. We pride ourselves on providing excellent service and I am saddened to know that we fell short while you were here with us.

I do have to apologize for the sofa bed and please know that I am going to make every effort to locate and bring that sofa bed back up to our high standards we set for ourself.

Please feel free to contact me should you have a trip planned to come back into the city. I would be happy to assist in anyway possible with your reservation and accomodations personally.

Burlington, Canada
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We were very happy with our stay at the Hampton Inn & Suites in downtown Chicago. It was about a 10 minute walk from the Clark & Lake Blue Line train station which is about a 45 min ride from O'Hare. This is an advantage for those who do not want to spend $50+ on a cab (the fare from O'Hare using the train is $5) The hotel is also right in the heart of downtown (5 minute walk to Michigan Ave - Magnificent Mile).

The staff at the hotel were great. We were greeted as Hilton HHonors members and the lady at the front desk asked us what we were in town for. I told her I was there for a yoga workshop and she was nice enough to arrange a bag of treats (water, granola bars) for me to take to my workshop.

The bed was very comfortable and the room and bathroom clean and that's all we really needed.

The complimentary breakfast offered a wide variety of choices from fresh fruit, eggs, toast, yogurt and cereal. We were so impressed with the quality and variety. The staff working in the dining room were so friendly and the service was fantastic (cleaning tables very quickly). We stayed August 9-11 so I would like the manager to know what a great job the staff did.

There is also free WiFi which is also nice perk.

I would highly recommend staying here - fantastic customer service and definitely great value for your money.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience of your recent visit with us at the Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown. We greatly appreciate you taking time out from your busy schedule to write us a review.

I am pleased to hear that our accommodations and location were a perfect match for you. I would also like to thank you for the recognition to our staff. My team and I truly put our hearts into this hotel and I hope our culture here has made your stay an exceptional one.

We look forward to having you back with us at the Hampton on your next trip to Chicago.

NH
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This was an almost perfect stay in Chicago. There was only one drawback that I will note in a little(see breakfast).

First, I had read about the noise issues, so I called ahead and asked for a room away from the fire station and away from the elevators. No problem when I called and no problem when I checked in. I was in room 302 (1 bedroom suite) and not once did I hear any noise. I also came prepared with a white noise machine as I am a very light sleeper. Sleeping way perfect. Beds were comfortable, pillows were nice and soft. Not one bad thing to say about the room. It was spacious and clean. Housekeeping was so helpful in getting us extra shampoo and blankets. Room had a fridge, coffee maker and microwave. We only used the fridge. Very convenient to have.

The staff are all excellent. Again, nothing bad to say here. They were courteous, helpful and overall just outstanding. Kudos to the management for hiring and keeping such a great staff.

Hotel is easy to get to. Take the train on the red line and get off on Grand. Hotel is one block away. Quick and easy. If you take a taxi from Midway, with no traffic, it was around $30. Train fare is only $2.25 per person, so if you have light luggage and don't mind a little more time, take the train.

There are plenty of restaurants, a Starbucks and a grocery store all nearby. Very convenient location. There is also the free trolly to Navy Pier about a block away as well.

Breakfast was great with the exception of the eggs. They tasted like powder. But the upside is they offer hard boiled eggs as well. So skip the scrambled eggs and enjoy all the other offerings, which there are plenty of. Plenty of breads, bagels, muffins, pastries, waffles, juices, coffee, oatmeal, cereals, peanut butter, etc. You won't go hungry and overall it was just fine to start the day. If you want more, I would suggest Corner Bakery or Yolk, but they are not free of course.

We did use the pool and hot tub one night. Again, another nice perk offered. It was a bonus to unwind after a long day of walking and sightseeing.

Would I stay here again? Absolutely. The price was right and overall it is just a great place to stay.

1 Thank kunkel5250
Seattle, United States
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We loved it! Great hotel and great experience!! Truly friendly and accommodating staff! I cannot say enough positive things about our stay. Excellent location as well. We would stay at this location again!

Review collected in partnership with Hampton