“Excellent place to stay!”

Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown
Ranked #48 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Stanton, Michigan
“Excellent place to stay!”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

The rooms are very nice and clean. The staff is very friendly and eager to please! Convenient to restaurants and nightlife! We stayed in a suite...room 429. Very spacious, and clean. It has a living area and a kitchenette, with sleeping space for 6.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Terri B
HamptonRiverNorthGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Hi Terry B,

I appreciate the kind words on your review! My team and I truly put our hearts into this hotel. I'm glad that you were able to take advantage of one of our double suites. They have 560 square feet of space which is perfect for larger families.

We are looking forward to seeing you again!!

All the best,

Andrew Scarlett
P: 312-832-0330
E: ascarlett@fhginc.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
New Westminster, Canada
Reviewed July 27, 2013

This place is one block from a busy fire station and I'd stay there again anyway. How's that?

It's also one block from a CTA Red Line station, on the line that took us to most of the places we went. Many highlights are easily walkable from the hotel, and there are some worthwhile restaurants.

We had a one-bedroom suite (couple in bedroom, third in living-room sofabed. Didn't use the kitchen (microwave, fridge, sink, lots of counter space. Living room and bedroom were both spacious and comfortable. Very good bed, and no complaints re sofabed.

Yes, there is a busy firehall on the same street. If you're on the street side of the hotel you will hear sirens; the hotel provides earplugs. But we often hear sirens when we stay in downtown hotels in other cities, and as active tourists we usually fall into bed exhausted anyway. It really wasn't annoying at all.

The bathroom in our suite was a little tired, and the toilet gave off an odd squeal as it finished refilling its tank. Hotel said they'd fix it, and our experience with Hamptons tells us they will.

Breakfast was as expected - some hot and cold options, juices, fruits, yogurt, two coffee choices, and a room that was never quite full so no hassle.

Good little business centre, satisfactory pool and hot tub. Didn't use the fitness centre but it looked clean and reasonably up to date. Staff were friendly and helpful - as was everyone we talked to in Chicago!

Summary: comfortable, affordable, well located, and friendly. Recommended.

Room Tip: Quieter away from the street.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
kawaguy,

Thank you so much for the in depth review of our hotel! I'm glad you were able to enjoy one of our larger suites. We do understand the noise level that can occur with a fire station next door which is why we provide ear plugs for guests who might be more sensitive to the noise.

I hope you enjoyed your experience in Chicago!

All the best,

Andrew Scarlett
P: 312-832-0330
E: ascarlett@fhginc.com
ohio
Reviewed July 25, 2013

The Good:
Good location a few blocks from Michigan Avenue with lots of restaurants nearby.
Excellent service. I usually stay at boutique hotels. My last trip to Chicago was at the Drake. This Hampton had the BEST service of any of the previous hotels. Exceedingly friendly staff. The valet, the front desk and the bell hops all went out of their way to help us.
Plenty to eat at the FREE breakfast. Lots of choices from cereal, fresh fruit, waffles, toasts, oatmeal and a few hot items. They had hotel staff clearing tables and refreshing items.
FREE Wi-fi. Seems like a no brainer but so many hotels are charging $9.95 per night.
They have clean duvet covers on the bed EVERY night. I love that!!
The room was a standard size. Beds were comfortable with plenty of pillows.
We had lots of towels. Sometimes we end up showering twice a day and I love that they had more than just 3 or 4 towels in our room.
Nice clean workout room which is next to a small outdoor courtyard with tables and sitting areas, also next to the indoor pool. The workout room had 2 treadmills, a bike and I think 2 ellipticals plus some free weights. They had water, sanitary wipes for the equipment and clean towels.
We received a letter on our first night with a list of places nearby, amenities and sites.

The Bad: We were a few doors away from the elevator which has a very loud bell as it reaches the floor. It didn't wake me up at night, but it is loud.
The hotel is near the fire station. I did hear sirens as we were going to bed but they didn't keep me up.

Bottom Line: I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Michael F, Assistant General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience of your recent visit with us at the Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown. We greatly appreciate you taking time out from your busy schedule to write us a review.

I am pleased to hear that our accommodations and location were a perfect match for you. I would also like to thank you for the recognition to our staff. My team and I truly put our hearts into this hotel and I hope our culture here has made your stay an exceptional one. I do realize that being located near the elevators can be quite the disturbance and am happy to hear that it was not for you.

We look forward to having you back with us at the Hampton on your next trip to Chicago.

Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

The room adjacent to ours was extremely noisy into the wee hours with loud music, banging and voices. Upon complaint to management, it was handled but later there was hallway noise. This happened for two nights and apparently those people left and our stay was pleasant for the remainder. A buffet make your own breakfast is served daily with healthy choices. We found the location in Chicago to be safe and convenient walking distance to attractions. There was no view from the room. Desk staff is extremely helpful for information and procuring taxi service.

• Stayed June 2013

I am sorry to hear of the disturbances you experienced here with us. We definately take pride in being able to provide a comfortable living atmosphere for each of our guests and glad to hear we were able to take care of your issue for you. We are pleased to hear that our accommodations and location were a match for you and we were able to help your great Experience with us!

Janita Walton
Guest Experience Manager
T: 312-832-0330
E: Janita.Walton@hilton.com
North Attleboro, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed July 25, 2013

My son and I were in Chicago July 10 - 16 for a convention and sight seeing. Th Hampton Inn & Suites - Downtown Chicago was a great location to stay. We were within walking distance of the Navy Pier, Millenium Park, Grant Park, and numerous museums and attractions. We only needed to drive to our convention at the Museum of Science and Industry.

The staff including the valets, front desk associates, maids and breakfast workers were wonderful and extremely helpful with all aspects of our stay. We were able to check-in early on arrival and were given a room across from the elevator. I called down to the front desk and asked if we could change to a room away from the elevator. We were quickly reassigned to another room on the same floor and a front desk associate personally delivered our new keys to us on the 12th floor.

The valets helped us to load and unload over a dozen almost 50 pound boxes on numerous occasions. They quickly brought the car around when we requested it.

When we needed suggestions of places to visit and places to eat the front desk was always courteous and helpful. We spoke with one of the associates during breakfast about our tastes in food and she left us a list of places to try under our door while we were out that day.

The help in the breakfast room was also friendly, professional and courteous. The food was well stocked and plentiful. They has a good selection of choices and cleaned the tables quickly and efficiently as people finished their breakfast. My son really liked that they gave us each a box of mints at breakfast every day.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Chicago for pleasure or business. Points of interest and the business district were conveniently located and within walking distance. We felt like our business was truly appreciated and that they enjoyed ensuring that our stay was as pleasant and enjoyable as possible.

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor on the opposite corner of where the fire station was located. We could he...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Monte Vista, Colorado
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Very good service, great accommodation for a visit to downtown Chicago - after walking for miles you can then relax in the pool, take a jog on a machine or relaxin the sauna. Enjoy a great breakfast each morning. Coffee available at all hours!!

Room Tip: My daughter chose the room - I was there to hang out with my 10 year old grandson while his mother w...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Hilliard, Ohio
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We are frequent Chicago visitors and have have stayed in many hotels downtown, including some considered to be very upscale. The Hampton is in a very current and bustling area of the city that is fast filling up with fun restaurants, bars and things to do. No need for a car at all, as everything is within distance of a quick cab ride or a great walk. The room large with two double beds and wonderful bedding, and very clean and fresh. The living space was huge with a large sofa bed, another comfortable chair, desk, chair and a kitchen island. There is a sink, microwave and mini fridge in the living space, making it very suitable for a longer stay. Our ONLY minor "complaint" is that it seems the bathroom was a last minute addition, with a single sink and a crowded toilet/bathtub/shower area in a separate room. We suggest a large mirror rather than artwork near the living space sink as additional "get ready" area to make up for the smaller bathroom. Our major COMPLIMENT is of the staff. Every single staff person encountered, from cleaning and custodial staff to those at the desk was helpful, friendly and highly professional. We have stayed in hotels with concierge services staffed by snobby, not always knowledgeable people, but this desk staff knows everything about the city and will happily recommend places to go, giving directions, offering to find a cab, etc. The hotel also willingly stores luggage both before and post check in so you never have to drag a suitcase through Michigan Ave shopping! A wonderful breakfast is included in a large, windowed room, too!

Room Tip: Ask for an inside room - one side of the hotel is across the street from a large fire station. spea...
Green Features: There is the option to not have daily towels, adjust heating and cooling and signs throughout reminding you of the practices available.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

I am so happy to hear about your Experience with us! We do pride ourselves on providing exceptional customer service and glad you got to Experience that while with us. Our location is a great location even with the location of the Large Fire Station and strongly feel our service and fun things to do around us make up for it!