“Sort of a Great Location” 3 of 5 stars

Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown
Ranked #41 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Rochester Hills, MI
“Sort of a Great Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites in downtown Chicago. We found our suite to be nice and clean, and the staff to be very friendly and helpful. No complaints there. But the location... The hotel is in a great part of town for touring the city, and for enjoying the restaurants and shopping. However, it is right by a Chicago fire department, and a bar. When we arrived to the hotel, we noticed that earplugs were offered on our way to the elevator. Hint, hint. My husband and I happened to be there a few days after the Chicago Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup. Now being a native of Chicago, I know how Chicagoans love to celebrate when a Chicago team wins any championship. And Chicagoans were in full-swing that night partying up a storm at the bar next door. And the fire department was also in full-swing responding to emergencies. I think sirens were going off every ten minutes that night. My husband managed to sleep, but being a light sleeper, I didn't get any sleep that evening. And for that reason alone, I would never return to this hotel even though on every other level, it was a very nice hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 601. Nice enough room, but bad for noise level outside of hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Janita W, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience of your recent visit with us at the Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown. We greatly appreciate you taking time out from your busy schedule to write us a review.

I regret that you were not completely satisfied with your experience here with us due to the level of noise that you expereienced during your visit from the neighboring fire station and bar. I would love to speak with you personally regarding this matter. Please call me at your convenience at (312) 832-0330.

I look forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you!

E: Janita.Walton@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
miami florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I come to Chicago frequently, and this is the hotel I always stay at

The staff is friendly ,helpful, and always willing to help me with any requests

Rooms are spacious and clean

Hotel has recently been renovated

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank marny1
HamptonRiverNorthGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Hi Marny1,

Thank you so much for the great comments about the hotel! We are looking forward to seeing you again soon when you escape the heat this time of year from Miami!

Andrew Scarlett
Bloomington, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

This hotel is well maintained, the employees are friendly and helpful. Sonja in the breakfast area was so precious and we felt as if we had known her for years. Brock, the Maintenance Engineer, was very friendly and helpful. The front desk staff was great.

The location was awesome, a decent walk to Michigan Street, free trolley to the Navy Pier. Lots to see and do in the immediate area. We will stay here again, and again, and again!!

Room Tip: Only thing is, it seems like a lot of fire trucks. But they offer free ear plugs
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you dkcroft for sharing your experience of your recent visit with us at the Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown. We greatly appreciate you taking time out from your busy schedule to write us such a great review.

Thank you for recognizing both Sonja in Breakfast and Brock our Chief Engineer. I am so pleased to hear that they treated you as a part of our Hampton family and gave you the quality service that you deserve.

We look forward to you visiting us again, and again, and again!

Canton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My wife and I both stay at Hampton Inn & Suites regulary, this staff was exceptional. The front desk, the kitchen and the doormen/valet parking personel were great. I have stayed at enough locations to know people who should be recognized as going beyond their job descriptions. This was our tird stay at this location and by far the current staff is the best.

Room Tip: When we travel for business I like to book a suite for the additional comfort and while one may be s...
Green Features: I like the "New or reuse" towel option. The last Hampton I stayed at even though I hung up my towel "reuse" the replaced it every day..I did my part but the staff didn't do there's.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
I want to take the opportunity to thank you for your loyalty to the Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago –Downtown. I hope you truly enjoyed the experience of your most recent visit with us. My team and I truly put our hearts into this hotel and I hope our culture here has made your stay an exceptional one. We thank you whole-heartedly for the recognition you have given to us.

We look forward to having you visit us for a 4th time and many, many more times to come.

Effingham, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed one night in a corner suite. It fit our family very nicely. Two queen beds and a comfortable pull out sofa were just perfect for us. It is very convenient to the shopping and restaurants that interested us. We walked everywhere. The staff, particularly the bellmen who helped us were very friendly. Breakfast was good, fairly standard hotel breakfast but unlike some of the places we stayed there was plenty of room to sit and there was no waiting in line even though the hotel appeared to be very full. It was a pretty noisy night in terms of city noise - lots and lots of sirens, etc., but if it bothers you too much the hotel offered earplugs. It is downtown in a major city, after all, so noise is to be expected. The extra vanity in the bedroom was helpful for me and my three daughters who were all getting ready for dinner at the same time. I would definitely stay here again when I return to Chicago.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars

I am pleased to hear that the Double Corner Suite was suitable for you and your daughters. I know how hectic it can be for a family of all women to get ready all at the same time with just 1 bathroom, so I'm happy that the extra vanity helped.

We hope to see you ladies again soon on your next trip to the Chicago downtown area.

St. Louis, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

This Hampton is in a great location close to many restaurants and things to do in the heart of the North Loop district in downtown Chicago. Also very spacious and clean rooms with good amenities for the money. I would definitely stay at this location again in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you Brandon B for sharing your experience of your recent visit with us at the Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown. We greatly appreciate you taking time out from your busy schedule to write us a review.

I am pleased to hear that you were satisfied with the amenties and location of the hotel. I hope you got to venture out while you were here.

We look forward to being your go-to hotel when visit Chicago again from St. Louis.

Brainerd, Minnesota, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Great place to stay in Chicago for business or pleasure--20 min from Midway Airport and in the center of the action if Downtown 3 blocks from the chicago river on Dearborn. Very clean and an especially attentive and friendly staff. Great pool with an outdoor terrace. Breakfast is included in rate and is good basic hotel fare with a wide variety of choices from waffels, to scrambled egs yogert, pastries, fruit and juice-- and a money saver for those on a budget.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Tom P
Thank you Tom P for sharing your experience of your recent visit with us at the Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown. We greatly appreciate you taking time out from your busy schedule to write us a review.

I am glad that our hotel was accommodating for you with our many amenities such as the pool with the outdoor terrace and the complimentary breakfast. I am also very thankful for the recognition to our staff. My team and I truly put our hearts into this hotel and I hope our culture here has made your stay an exceptional one.

We look forward to serving you again in the future!