The River North area of Chicago is very nice and only a few blocks from Michigan Ave and the Magnificent Mile. It's also close to lots of great restaurants. It's even a decent choice if you're in Chicago for a trade show at McCormick Place. (about a $10 cab ride + tip)
I prefer other Hilton properties in downtown Chicago, but I was called in rescue an exhibitor booth the night before the NRA (National Restaurant Association) trade show opened. All Hilton hotels were sold out for the entire event because there are over 60,000 attendees that come to Chicago for the show. Long story short, a room opened up while I was on the phone with the Hilton rep and she booked it for me. She confirmed it was the last Hilton room available so I was thankful for that little miracle.
The hotel location is great and check-in was quick and easy. I was offered my perks as an Hhonors Gold member (I chose 2 bottles of water) and received room 607 which was away from the elevators and looked down on the front of the hotel and Illinois Street.
The room was nice and the wetbar and mini fridge was a nice addition. There weren't any pre-stocked beverages and so there's plenty of room for your own drinks. There's a microwave and a sink as well. Typical flatscreen TV and a king size bed. My wife and I thought the bed was okay but we both thought the other Hilton properties had better beds. We didn't like the smaller pillows so that's something I'd recommend they change.
You need to keep your expectations in check with the hotel property you book with. This was a nice facility with helpful staff and this hotel met our expectations for a Hampton Inn. For $330/night we would have preferred to stay at a higher end Hilton property (and would normally be able to if the NRA show wasn't eating up all the availability) but the hotel did the job for 3 nights and so we can recommend this hotel to others.
One last thing I wanted to mention was the noise from the American Junkie bar that's located about 100ft to the right of the hotel. They have a fully retractable roof and front windows.. and they play music incredibly loud. Expect loud music if it's a nice day out because they will have everything open and you'll be able to hear the music as if it's playing right outside your window. (a lot of it reflects off the building across the street). The hotel does have ear plugs available when you get off the elevator so the hotel is definitely aware of this. I didn't really mind the noise because I was working and used ear plugs from 4:30-7pm. When I was done working I was watching TV and it was a bit distracting though. The music eventually quiets down a bit as it gets later. I wasn't watching the exact time but I think it quiets down around 9'ish. See other reviews to find out more information about this. A higher floor room may help but I doubt it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience downtown Chicago from our Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown hotel. Located in the heart of trendy River North neighborhood, you're in the ideal location to Chicago's entertainment, shopping and dining venues, with easy access to Navy Pier and Michigan Avenue shops. Explore the Loop's business and theater districts, or discover Field Museum, Adler Planetarium or Shedd Aquarium with your kids during your stay. Start your day with the convenience of Hampton's free hot breakfast. Enjoy free WiFi throughout the hotel. We offer a fitness center, indoor swimming pool, whirlpool and dry sauna. End the day with a reservation at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse connected to our hotel by sky bridge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels Direct, Hotels.com and Booking.com so you can book your Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown Hotel Chicago
- Hampton Inn And Suites Chicago - Downtown
- Hampton Inn Chicago Downtown
- Chicago Hampton Inn