“Centrally located, clean, and friendly”

Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown
Ranked #49 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Upon check in, staff was courteous and friendly. Kara, the front desk clerk, was very helpful in pointing out guest services and offered any extra assistance with directions, etc.

Our room, a king suite, matched the online description very well, was pleasingly clean, and larger than expected.

I loved being just a short walk from the Red Line. This location is awesome! We could walk everywhere we wanted to go in River North, or easily access the L - wrigleyville, wicker park, second city .... Everything seems to be 20 minutes or less from the hotel.

At night, we heard the soothing low rumble of the train and the occasional (not so satisfying) sirens from the nearby fire department. (Previous reviews suggested requesting a room away from the fire department, which we did, sovit wasnt too horrible).

I was a little disapointed that the breakfast options were on rotation - I would have loved biscuits and gravy every morning - but I understand the logic behind the rotation, so I can't complain too loudly.

All in all, although it was a bit pricy for us, we were pleased with our choice and if we could afford it, I am certain we would stay here again.

1  Thank katlover86
Janita W, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

katlover86,

Thank you so much for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We greatly appreciate you taking time out from your busy schedule to write us a review. We were delighted to read what you had to say.

We appreciate the comments regarding. Each and every member of our team always strives to give the service our guests expect and deserve from check in to check out, and beyond. I do regret that our pricing was a little steep for you. We do offer lower price during the off-peak seasons which are typically September-January . Feel free to play around with a few dates on our website to find the best pricing for you. We look forward to having you back with us at the Hampton on your next trip to Chicago. Our biscuits and gravy are calling you! :-}

There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown

Reviewed February 14, 2013

My wife and I had an excellent trip in Chicago and our experience at this hotel played a large role in this experience. We were right next to amazing restaurants, bars, lounges, shopping, and the Red "L" Line is just around the corner. We had never stayed here before but will probably be repeat customers after this recent trip! The attentiveness of the staff was extraordinary to say they least.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

cityskylyne,

WOW!!! 5-stars! We could not have asked for a better review!

Thank you so much for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We greatly appreciate you taking time out from your busy schedule to write us such an awesome review. We were delighted to read what you had to say.

We appreciate the comments regarding the convenience of our locate and also the attentiveness of our staff. Each and every member of our team always strives to give the service our guests expect and deserve from check in to check out, and beyond. However, I did notice that Rooms & Cleanliness we only 4-stars. Is there something(s) we need to work on for your next stay with us? We are always looking for ways to improve our hotel so if you would like to discuss these issues further, please do not hesitate to contact me. My contact information is listed below. We look forward to having you back with us on your next visit from the ATL.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

This hotel does everything possible to make sure that your stay in Chicago is wonderful- you will not be disappointed if you stay here! The staff will cater to any need you have with a smile, the breakfast is well taken care of, the rooms are clean, the location is in the middle of the city, walking distance to much of what you'd want to see- we couldn't have been more pleased!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

cathy b,

WOW!!! 5-stars! We could not have given a better review even if we wrote it ourselves!

We appreciate the comments regarding the sincerity and dedication of our hardworking staff. Each and every one of our team memebers strive to give the service our guests expect and deserve from check in to check out, and beyond. We look forward to having you back with us on your next visit from Cleveland.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stayed here for a week whilst on business. The hotel is perfectly located in downtown, within walking distance of many great bars and restaurants and easy access to drive to the convention center. Although valet is pricey and not optional but cheaper than parking yourself.
The hotel itself is one of the best Hamptons I have stayed in. Above all the service of the staff is that of a much more expensive hotel. Rooms were clean and comfortable.
So why only 4 stars. That is purely down to the fact there is a very busy fire station right across the street. That took a little getting used to, otherwise I would have given it a 5 star. So no fault of the hotel, just the location.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Darren S,

We appreciate the comments regarding our staff. Each and every member of our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve from check in to check out, and beyond. I do apologize for the inconvenience of the noisy nearby fire station. However, we do offer complimentary ear plugs to help lessen the noise. Be sure to stop by the front desk to pick up a pair or two on your next visit to our hotel. We look forward to having you back with us again soon.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

My friends and I traveled to Chicago for my birthday weekend. We had reservations at RPM (right across the street) so we thought staying at the Hampton Inn & Suites would be convenient. However after our stay I would reserve a room here each and every time I go back to Chicago. Every employee we interacted with treated us so well, were very very welcoming, kind, and made us feel like VIPs. The room was clean, the bed comfy, and the breakfast was delicious. My friends and I have nothing bad to say about this hotel. Highly recommend if you are traveling to Chicago!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Rosanna V,

I am ecstatic to hear that were we able to help make your birthday a very happy experience for you. We believe in treating all of our guests as "VIPs." Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve from check in to check out. We look forward to celebrating many, many more birthdays with you.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Very clean, comfortable, like the in room safe, free breakfast has variety of hot and cold items, just ask for king room on high floor or 2 beds as those rooms face opposite of fire dept next door. Got expedia deal and would definitely stay again

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bonnye H

Boonye H,

We appreciate the comments regarding the cleanliness & comfort of our rooms. I am also happy that you were able to find such a great deal from one of the 3rd party booking sites that we work with. We look forward to having you back with us at the Hampton on your next trip to Chicago.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

I booked a one-night stay at this property and felt like I received a good service (especially at the front desk and valet parking) and value for the money -- until breakfast.

I have stayed at numerous Hampton Inns over the years and this was, by far, the worst breakfast offering I have had. Despite a high volume of guests dining when I dined, the kitchen staff still managed to find a way to serve cold eggs and cold fried potatoes. The heating sources for the chafing dishes were not lit or burned out. Coffee urns were nearly empty and went unattended while I dined so I had to make coffee in the room before departure. And I saw the attendant dump hot water into the oatmeal to restore some liquidity - how about making a new batch?

The location is good - except for the firehouse right across Dearborn and the accompanying sirens all night. I will likely find another property next time.

Room Tip: Rooms on north side are quieter...west side rooms face a large fire house.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Janita W, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

THANK YOU Davooda for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We are so thrilled that you took time out from your busy schedule to write us a review.

Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve. I am sorry that you were disappointed with the quality of our breakfast items & that the coffee was not replinished in a timely fashion. I will share this very useful information with our breakfast team to ensure that these issues do not arise again. I am also disheartened to here that you will be considering a different hotel due to the disturbance from the nearby fire station. However, as you stated in your "Room Tips" section, we do have rooms that are located on the opposite side of the fire station. We also have interior rooms that are much more quiet.

We are always looking for ways to improve the hotel & service we give our guests. If there are any other comments or suggextions that you would like to share, please do not hestitate to contact me at any time.