“Good room and front desk service, but breakfast disappoints”

Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown
Ranked #45 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Central, Illinois
“Good room and front desk service, but breakfast disappoints”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I booked a one-night stay at this property and felt like I received a good service (especially at the front desk and valet parking) and value for the money -- until breakfast.

I have stayed at numerous Hampton Inns over the years and this was, by far, the worst breakfast offering I have had. Despite a high volume of guests dining when I dined, the kitchen staff still managed to find a way to serve cold eggs and cold fried potatoes. The heating sources for the chafing dishes were not lit or burned out. Coffee urns were nearly empty and went unattended while I dined so I had to make coffee in the room before departure. And I saw the attendant dump hot water into the oatmeal to restore some liquidity - how about making a new batch?

The location is good - except for the firehouse right across Dearborn and the accompanying sirens all night. I will likely find another property next time.

Room Tip: Rooms on north side are quieter...west side rooms face a large fire house.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Janita W, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
THANK YOU Davooda for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We are so thrilled that you took time out from your busy schedule to write us a review.

Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve. I am sorry that you were disappointed with the quality of our breakfast items & that the coffee was not replinished in a timely fashion. I will share this very useful information with our breakfast team to ensure that these issues do not arise again. I am also disheartened to here that you will be considering a different hotel due to the disturbance from the nearby fire station. However, as you stated in your "Room Tips" section, we do have rooms that are located on the opposite side of the fire station. We also have interior rooms that are much more quiet.

We are always looking for ways to improve the hotel & service we give our guests. If there are any other comments or suggextions that you would like to share, please do not hestitate to contact me at any time.

E: Janita.Walton@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Miamisburg, Ohio
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I had a wonderful one-night stay. The room was clean and comfortable, the staff was friendly and helpful and breakfast was great (good variety in addition to belgian waffles). Make sure to try the hot tub!

It's two block from a Red Line Stop so you can easily hop a train to activities in the Loop or elsewhere.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less traffic noise but you can get ear plugs from the front desk if they're n...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
THANK YOU Kris B for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We are so thrilled that you took time out from your busy schedule to write this awesome review.

THANK YOU so much for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We are so thrilled that you took time out from your busy schedule to write this awesome review. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve.

Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve, so we truly appreciate the comments regarding the friendliness & helpfulness of our staff, the cleanliness of the room, & the quality of our breakfast items. I am also delighted that you were able to relax in our whirlpool. We look forward to having you back with us at the Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Downton on your next trip in from Ohio.

Tinley Park, Illinois
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Staff was extremely helpful and courteous, ie., valet parking attendant, front desk on check in and check out, dining room (breakfast). Breakfast buffet was plentiful, clean and spacious seating. Rooms were clean and spacious, I was surprised at the size. Location was perfect for dining out, bars, and late night partying. I would definetly return.

Room Tip: Ask if you could get the wet bar in your room. At no extra cost we had a fridge, mircrowave oven, a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank garry p
THANK YOU garry p for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites earlier this month. We are thrilled that you took time out from your busy schedule to write this awesome review.

Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve so we greatly appreciate the comments regarding the helpfulness of our entire team, the comfort of the room, & the quality of the items that we serve for breakfast. We look forward to having you back with us at the Hampton next time you in the downtown area.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Parking - road construction in front of hotel, the staff should of warn ahead or should post on website about the road condition.Room location/type - usually I request to have higher level away from elevator but some reason I was put on the lower level next to elevator, the bed was on the wall next to elevator, yon can hear elevator going up & down. But we were too busy to request to rm change but hotel staff should ask hhonor member to pick the location.The couch & pillows were so out dated, the room look like a senior center. Hair dryer was so old & a very loud.Heating - when we came in, we set in for 72 degree, but found it wasn't working properly, we came back so late from company party around midnight, the hallway was warmer than the room, I set @ 82 degree & slept but woke up being so cold around 5am, I had to raised 90 degree to feel like 72 degree. Housekeeping - We were taking a nap after BK and swimming around 10:30am-11:00am, hkp staff knocked on the room and opened the door and woke us up. I then called front desk, we're not checking out 'til noon and why hkp staff knocking the door when guests are still IN.We stay at Hilton property in nationwide, lost my old HHonor card, so I had to make new one last couple years ago, but this property is the worst property ever stayed in. BK food - eggs were cold, no meat, dining area was so cold was very unwelcome. The staff seems very overly tired looking, no smile, did not feel any positive energy flows and not friendly at all.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Snowy1209
Janita W, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Snowy1209-

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so sorry to hear that you were disppointed with your stay. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve. I appreciate the comments as we are always looking for ways to improve the hotel & service we give our guests. If you would like to discuss this further & on a more personal note, please do hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel. Thank you in advance & I hope to hear from you soon.

Mount Prospect
Reviewed February 4, 2013

we had reservations at a nearby restaruant for lunch and were to early. They were to busy to accomodate us so we thought we'd take a walk to Michigan Ave. It was damp and cold. Saw the hotel and ducked in figuring they may have a coffee shop we could kill time in. As we stood in the lobby looking around we were approached and asked if they could be of assistance. When I explained the situation we were graciously invited to partake of their complimentry coffee service. We shared the room while we waited with some of Chicago's finest police officers overlooking the street. Their graciousness will bring me back as a paying customer when I have the chance to stay downtown.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Wow! What an awesome review! I am so delighted that you took the time to write us this lovely review even though you were not even a guest at our hotel! I remember the day you ladies walked through the door. We would love to have you walk through our doors again but as one of our most valued guest.

Again, it was truly a treat to have someone who was not even a guest at our hotel YET feel the sincerity of our hospitality. Please feel free to contact me whenever you ladies who like to pay us a visit. I will be waiting with fresh coffee in hand.

Devon UK
Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Havent't stayed here for several years and hotel has been redecorated considerably. Staff are super efficient, helpful and friendly, really easy (early) check-in with free water and chocolate for HH members. Wifi - which is free was super fast which makes a pleasant change. King Suite spotlessly clean - as it should be - with kitchen area which had breakfast bar with chairs, large microwave and full side fridge - both the lounge area and separate bedroom had good sized flat sreen TVs with very large selection of channels and huge bed which was really comfy - slept really well all the time I was there. As others have mentined there is a fire station next door so you will hear the sirens at any time during the day, but hey this is Chicago and similar to NY you tend to get used to them - they don't even wake me now as I visit Chicago fairly regualarly so have become immune to their noise !
Breakfast is usual Hampton fare, with the waffle machies, hot selection, cerals and fresh fruit. Although others have noted the problems with the wait for the elevators (there are 3) I did not have a problem. There is a small pool, sauna and fitness room, business centre, which has apple computers as well as the normal Dell ones, and a laundry room which is useful if you are on a long stay, or just want to get clothes clean before travelling home.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank firsedge
WOW! We could not have asked for a better review. THANK YOU so much, firsedge, for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We are so thrilled that you took time out from your busy schedule to write this awesome review.

We appreciate all the comments & we are so happy that you decided to stay with us again after so long. We surely did miss you! Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve. We look forward to being your "go-to" hotel whenever you visit Chicago. Hope to see you again soon.

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Great value and quality for the price given the location, staff were very friendly and pleasant, room was very nice (also got a great deal using Hilton HHonors points), staff attentive to details, offered assistance numerous times. Would definitely stay again if in the area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
THANK YOU so much, mdkraft99, for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We are so thrilled that you took time out from your busy schedule to write this awesome review.

We appreciate the comments & we are always looking forward to having you back with us again some time soon. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve. We are always looking for ways to improve the hotel & service we give our guests so we would love for you to share your ideas on areas that we can improve upon for your next visit so that we can get that 5-star rating from you. I look forward to hearing those ideas & we cannot wait to have you visit us again.