“loved it .... book a suite ..”

Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown
Ranked #54 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 30, 2008

We recently traveled to Chicago for six nights and I stressed over where to stay. I am so thrilled that we booked the Hampton Inn & Suites, Downtown, what an absolute gem!

We booked a suite (there are about 5 on each floor) directly through the hampton site and got a variable rate (from a low of $101 for a night to a high of $150 for 3 nights) and the front desk clerk even commented on what a great deal I'd gotten! Our suite featured a living area with desk, TV, and queen size sleeper sofa (perfect for our two kids at night!) and also had a fullsize refrigerator (trader joe's is only a few blocks away on Ontario), dishwasher, microwave and cooktop (no oven). It was a breeze for snacks and leftovers and comes complete with plates & utensils! The best part was that this was a true "suite" room: the doors closed to the living area and it was like having two hotel rooms!

Check-in was a smooth process; if you have a car, there is an area to pull in and unload your luggage with very attentive bellboys / valet attendees. (note, parking is an additional $38/night through the hotel, but there is also a lot right next door that "only" charges $25/night)

The 2nd floor hosts the swimming pool/sauna/exercise room/whirlpool (plenty of towels available + water in the exercise area) as well as the breakfast room & there is also coffee/tea and hot cocoa available at all times. The breakfast room is very large, with plenty of seating (tables as well as couches) and the buffet itself featured two hot items daily (eggs, sausage, sausage gravy, etc.). There was also a nice selection of breads (bagels, toast, muffins, danish, biscuits), cereals, yogurt, fresh fruit (oranges, bananas, berries, apples, citrus fruit salad), oatmeal (in packets) as well as coffee,tea and juices. The employees re-freshed the foods constantly and even when there were a lot of people present, it was not difficult to get food/find a seat.

There are also laundry machines available for guest use on the 3rd floor; two washers and dryers that cost $1.50/load (quarters available at the front desk).

All in all, we loved our stay at the Hampton Inn & Suites, downtown. The location was perfect for all of our site-seeing needs: walking distance to the Mag Mile, the free trolley runs to Navy Pier right out front of the hotel, there are plenty of restaurant options within walking distance (weber grill, rock bottom brewery, gino's east, lou malnati's, rainforest cafe, hard rock, etc..!). A cab ride south to Shedd Aquarium/Field Museum will run you about $10 and was about the same up to Lincoln Park Zoo.

6  Thank da_jm

Reviewed March 26, 2008

We just got back from our trip yesterday, and I couldn't wait to write a review of this hotel! I researched several places greatly before we decided where to stay. We definitely made the right decision.

I adore the city, but my husband always gets a little nervous in Chicago. So I wanted someplace that would be great access to all the city has to offer, but would be safe and comfortable enough to help put him at ease. This was perfect. It's a couple blocks off the Magnificent Mile, but certainly close enough to make me and the kids happy because we could walk to a few of the places we went. We never paid more than $10 cabfare to anywhere we thought was a bit far to walk, like the museum. And whenever we needed a little break or the kids needed a nap, we could just pop back to the hotel for a bit.

The room itself was fantastic. The beds were the most comfortable ones I've ever slept on. I didn't want to go back to my own bed last night. I was even thinking about asking if they sell the comforters. We had a suite, so I loved the fact that I could put the kids down for a nap, close the doors and have some down time without worrying about waking them up. The bathroom was a bit smallish but that wasn't any problem at all. The shower was nice and the water pressure was great. The vanity area was separate and had plenty of room.

The little kitchen area in our room made it very convenient to keep snacks and milk handy for the kids. There was even a stove, microwave, dishwasher, pots and pans and dishes if we had wanted to stay in and cook one night. The continental breakfast was excellent, and had something for everyone. My kids are very picky eaters, and they were full when we left each morning. We didn't eat at either of them, but there was access to two restaurants that both looked very nice. Since we had the kids with us, we chose more commercial gimmicky places to eat. I look forward to coming back with a few girlfriends this summer and enjoying the grown up hotspots.

Usually in a hotel, the noise from other rooms keeps me awake all night; but here I didn't hear a single other guest the whole time we were there. No slamming doors or footsteps running down the halls or blaring tv's. Yes, the fire station was right outside our window, but we didn't ask to be moved because it really didn't bother us as much as I thought it would. The kids didn't even notice it, and we're from a small town where they don't hear a lot of sirens.

The staff and service was excellent. We felt very welcome from the moment we arrived to the final moment when we left. The bellman and valet were so helpful and friendly, and the desk staff and concierge made sure we had anything we needed. They were also very kind to our kids. The whole place was very clean and well taken care of, too. I'm a little bit of a snob, so I notice these things.

I would happily recommend the Hampton to anyone who is looking for a convenient, comfortable, clean, reasonably priced hotel that takes excellent care of it's guests.

10  Thank Fam416
Reviewed March 23, 2008

My wife and I stayed with our 4 year old and 7 year old at the Hampton Inn and Suites for two nights during Holy Week. I would highly recommend this hotel to families with young children who want to take advantage of a hotel with more reasonable rates.

The staff was extremely pleasant on the phone. I called a few days before we arrived to ask about a roll-away bed for our youngest. I did not know one was available when I made the reservations. The first night was going to cost us $40 more than the second night, but the gentleman I talked to knocked off the $40 so both nights were at the lower rate. Needless to say I was glad I called back.

Everyone at the hotel was extremely friendly and helpful. The complimentary breakfast was great for us, and my only complaint about our entire stay was the eggs (or whatever they really were). They were awful! Otherise there was plenty to fill the kids up in the morning. The kids also liked the complimentary apples and cookies in the lobby.

Our room was comfortable. We stayed in a room with two double beds and paid a little more for a roll-away so the kids could have separate beds. Our room, on the fourth floor, overlooked the pool area, and so the noise from the fire station was minimal. We also used a sound machine with the kids, so we did have a rather peaceful sleep. The beds and pillows were very comfortable. The room and bathroom were clean and sufficient for our needs.

We bought two day M.T.A. passes at the Jewel 1 1/2 blocks north of the hotel on State. We used the bus stop on Illinois just east of State to get to Navy Pier. The free Navy Pier Trolley stops there too, but we did not use it since we had the passes. The red line stop is just one block north of the hotel on State/Grand. We used that to get to Shedd. Aquarium. You take the red line to Roosevelt and transfer to Bus #12. The hotel is in a great location for getting around via public transportation.

We did not use valet parking but saved a little money by parking at the public parking lot just east of the hotel. It cost $25/night but make sure you have cash to pay the attendant.

There are plenty of restaurants within a short walk of the hotel. We walked to the McDonalds and also to the Rainforest Cafe a few blocks north of the hotel on Ohio. We did not take advantage of the two restaurants mentioned on the hotel website.

Lastly, the kids enjoyed the pool. We only went there on Saturday morning, but we pretty much had the pool and whirlpool to ourselves. I am sure that it is much busier in the evening. The shallow end is 3 feet so our 7 year old could touch bottom. The pool is not very large but the kids enjoyed it. There were plenty of clean, dry towels to use.

4  Thank benlotpt
Reviewed March 11, 2008

We stayed at the Hampton Chicago Downtown for 7 nights in November. As there were four girls sharing we booked a suite which was perfect. There was a kitchenette, dining table and chairs and couch and tv area. This was a great space and we had plenty of room for four large cases. The bedroom had two doubles, tv, and a small vanity area with an adjoining en-suite bathroom.

We got a very reasonable price for our week long stay and the accommodation very much exceeded our expectations for this price. The breakfast in the morning was plentyful and the staff very friendly and helpful. We had a small problem in our room and telephoned reception to report this and let them know we would be out for the day and if it could be sorted before our return. They were up to fix the problem before we got into the lift.

From the hotel we walked everywhere and its in the perfect location for sightseeing and shopping - just a few blocks from mag mile.

I would highly recommend this hotel for a stay in Chicago and prices are very reasonable. All the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful and the doorman who organised an airport transfer for us back to O'Hare was a gentleman.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank DglGirl
Reviewed March 4, 2008

We arrived very early on Thursday, 2/24, but the front desk still tried to check to see if our room was available for us. When it was not ready yet (it was only 10AM!), they stored our luggage for us and we were able to explore the city for the day. Our luggage was promptly brought up to our suite when we came back, and Willy, the bellman, was a great help to us during our stay. He always said "Welcome back" when we'd return from an outing - nice guy.

The suite was great! Super clean, convienent and spacious. Some people had complained about the noise earlier, but what do you expect from a city? Quite frankly, it lulled us to sleep! Hotel is at a great location for everything, has a really good breakfast included and we didn't run into ONE staff member who wasn't polite and welcoming. I'd definately stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mom4marley
Reviewed February 28, 2008

We have just spent 4 great nights at this hotel. My wife is in a wheel chair and the room was fully accessible, the bath is even wider in the middle so you can turn round in the shower.

All the staff were very friendly and the doors were always opened for us before we got there, even when it was snowing like mad - Thanks everyone.

You must visit the Rock Bottom Brewery just around the corner - the burgers are great and huge, the main courses are elegant and sophisticated and the carrot cake is big enough to use as a building brick - but a lot tastier!! BUT the main attraction is the great beers available all local brews and tasting great.

Again would recommend this hotel to everyone, they were still filling up the breakfast racks with 5 minutes to go (Finish -10 am weekdays, 11 am weekends), and fresh coffee is always available in the breakfast room.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank keith_wright
Reviewed February 23, 2008

This hotel is located just north of the Loop. It is about a 10-15 minute walk to get to Millenium Park. The subway red-line is less than two blocks away. The Magnificent Mile is about 5 minutes walking. There are tons of bars and restaurants very close to the hotel. The location could not have been better.
The valet attendants, front desk and breakfast staff are very pleasant and professional. The breakfast was great, loved it all three days. The room was clean and quiet, there were 40 plus channels to watch on TV, the wireless access really made looking up things to do easy, and the fitness facilities were great. I loved the little fridge with bottles of water for guests. The doors were secured at night which made me feel safe eventhough there was nothing to worry about in the neighbourhood.
I recommend dining at Vong's Thai Kitchen for great Thai food. It's about a block away.
Overall I can't think of a better experience, 5 stars all the way.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled solo