“A Very Nice Hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Albany, New York
“A Very Nice Hotel”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

A very nice hotel. The rooms were spacious, well-appointed, very clean and fully equipped.

Every one of the staff at the front desk, the breakfast room, and throughout the hotel were exceptionally pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was very comprehensive and delicious. All at a very good price for this convenient location near center city sites and transportation.

Rooms on the Dearborn Avenue side are over a fire station. Not bad, but request a room facing W. Illinois

Room Tip: Request a upper floor room on the Illinois Avenue side. There is an active fire house on the Dearbo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank robin082
Janita W, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Greetings robin082-

I wanted to say thank you for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We are so delighted that you took time out from your busy schedule to write this awesome review. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve.

We appreciate the comments as we are always looking for ways to improve the hotel & service we give our guests. We look forward to having you back with us at the Hampton on your next trip to Chicago from Albany, New York.

E: Janita.Walton@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

I cannot say enough good things about the excellent staff at Hampton Inn Chicago Downtown. Everyone we came in contact with was very friendly and great at their job, yet did not feel like they were reciting responses or performing tasks just as they were trained to do. From maid to desk clerk they all seemed very genuine.
This hotel is awesome if you like: great free breakfast, clean rooms, being close to an 'L' stop with an elevator, being close to a grocery/pharmacy, eating at famous restaurants by Rick Bayless or Gino's East pizza and much more within walking distance.
This hotel is not awesome if you are a light sleeper. There is an an active firestation next door. Also not awesome if you expect amazing views from your hotel room. Maybe available on a top floor.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank itsMoustachio
Greetings itsMoustachio-

I wanted to say THANK YOU for sharing this AWESOME review regarding the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We are so delighted that you took time out from your busy schedule to write this AMAZING review for us. I am so happy that you were able to experience the warmth & sincerity of our staff. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve.

Eagleville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Only stayed here one night (Sunday-Monday) after a family event in the suburbs and before flying home.

The location is excellent, just a block or so off of Michigan Avenue. Plenty of nice bars and restaurants nearby. We walked to Navy Pier which was about 1.4 miles or so.

The room was large and very clean, actually spotless. Nice bedding with a large flat screen TV. Kitchen area includes a sink, microwave and fridge. There is a work desk and I could see spending several nights here on business if needed as it is that comfortable.

Free WiFi via ATT is included and usable speeds throughout the hotel.

The firehouse - we were on the 3rd floor and yes you can hear the firetrucks every time they go out. Being an ex fire chief in a previous life I thought this added to the ambiance , but I can see where for those of you who don't appreciate a siren and air horns this can become annoying. The good part is you here the siren for only a few seconds as you are very close to the station and once the truck goes by it is done. Like I said - not a deal breaker.

Nice breakfast - make your own waffles, eggs and potatoes, 4 juices, yogurts, fresh fruit, 24 hour coffee service, bagels, muffins, etc.

What I felt really made this property exceptional were the staff. EVERYONE we came into contact with was warm and greeting (and not in a phoney way). The staff actually looked and acted like they enjoy working there. We were greeted upon check in with a warm smile that actually shocked me in today's world. Everyone from the housekeeping staff to the maintenance guy we saw in the hallway was this way. When you entered the breakfast area there was a manger greeting you good morning. This was Disney service without the phoniness of Disney. Being in management myself, all I say is that hotels management is doing a fantastic job motivating their employees somehow to provide this level of service.

Great bang for the buck. I am sure someone can find something wrong with any hotel, but whatever may have been lacking here was made up for by the staff.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marc19002
Greetings Marc19002-

I wanted to say THANK YOU for sharing this AWESOME review about the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We are so delighted that you took time out from your busy schedule to write this very special review for us. We appreciate & thank you for your service as an ex fire chief. I am also delighted that felt the warmth & sincerity of our hospitality. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve.

Pascagoula, Mississippi, United States
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My first time in Chicago and will definitely go back and will DEFINITELY stay here again! Courteous staff that couldn't have been any nicer. They recommended wonderful places and really helped us find the best with great directions as well. Location is so convenient to everything with great restaurants attached!

Room Tip: Corner suite was great! Beds were so comfy too!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Greetings KarenJ-

I wanted to say THANK YOU for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites on your 1st trip to Chicago. We are so delighted that you took time out from your busy schedule to write this awesome review. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve.

We appreciate the comments as we are always looking for ways to improve the hotel & service we give our guests. We look forward to having you back with us at the Hampton on your next trip to Chicago. We can't wait to recommend more wonderful places to you!

Tynemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed here for four nights at the end of a two week vacation. Like all Hamptons the welcome and service was friendly. It is in a great location whatever your reason for visiting. It was my first time in Chicago and I can guarantee it won't be my last. The rooms were clean, well furnished and comfortable. The free coffee is always welcome and I had a good breakfast every morning. Great place to stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Greetings JonoB1971-

I wanted to say THANK YOU for sharing the experience of your 4-night recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We are so delighted that you took time out from your busy schedule to write this awesome review. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve.

We appreciate the comments as we are always looking for ways to improve the hotel & service we give our guests. We look forward to having you back with us at the Hampton on your next trip to Chicago from the UK.

Seattle
Reviewed October 12, 2012

The hotel itself is great - very friendly check-in staff, great central location, nice rooms, good breakfast. I've stayed in downtown Chicago probably 30 nights in the last 5 years, and stayed at this hotel for 3 nights this week.

The hotel is literally across the street from the fire station - very loud (which is not the hotel staff's fault) when they leave the station in their trucks, which was probably 4 times during the hours I was in my room (early morning, before 8am and late evening, after 9pm, over 3 nights/4 days). And for my room - room 423 - there was a ton of noise above me. And only in the middle of the night - 11pm-1am. It sounded like someone was vacuuming or rolling a chair across a hardwood floor.

See pic below for the ear plugs the hotel offers you (a good idea, but a bad sign if you want a quiet's night sleep).

I don't blame the hotel for their location - just wanted you to know before you book. When I checked out, the front desk person said "how was your stay?" and I shared "the noisiest hotel I've ever stayed at" and he just looked at me and said "oh, sorry - well thanks for staying with us".

Room Tip: Perhaps there's a way to get a room not facing the street?
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank The40YearOldDad
Janita W, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Greetings The40YearOldDad-

I wanted to say THANK YOU for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We are so delighted that you took time out from your busy schedule to this awesome review. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve.

I am sorry that you encountered outside noise during your stay. The great thing about being in a dense urban downtown is the excitement of many people, things to do with a constant a hustle & bustle; however, with that comes noise. As with most hotels in downtown, street noise is something that will be encountered: Downtown Chicago is a dense, bustling city with lots of city noise including emergency vehicles that may be heard throughout all hours of the day. Most guests are not generally disturbed by the noise, but we realize that each person has their own sensitivity to it.

If you would like the dissatisfaction of your stay due to the fire station a bit further, please feel free to personally contact me at the information listed below.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I travel on business quite a bit and I get a bit homesick for the comforts of home....well, this hotel was so great to stay at. The staff was exceptional!!! At breakfast, the staff would walk around and ask you how everything is? do you need more coffee? bring you more of whatever you wanted, brought samples to tables...etc!!! AWESOME!! The cleaning staff was also outstanding. My room always had something extra done to it.

I will stay here again!!!

Room Tip: No comment
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Janita W, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Greetings Ouellette1-

I wanted to say THANK YOU for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We are so delighted that you took time out from your busy schedule to this awesome review. We know how extremely difficult it can be to be out of your comfort zone, away from your family & friends, so it is absolutely our pleasure to open up our doors & become your home away from home. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve.