“Noisiest hotel I've ever stayed at”

Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown
Ranked #46 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Seattle
“Noisiest hotel I've ever stayed at”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

The hotel itself is great - very friendly check-in staff, great central location, nice rooms, good breakfast. I've stayed in downtown Chicago probably 30 nights in the last 5 years, and stayed at this hotel for 3 nights this week.

The hotel is literally across the street from the fire station - very loud (which is not the hotel staff's fault) when they leave the station in their trucks, which was probably 4 times during the hours I was in my room (early morning, before 8am and late evening, after 9pm, over 3 nights/4 days). And for my room - room 423 - there was a ton of noise above me. And only in the middle of the night - 11pm-1am. It sounded like someone was vacuuming or rolling a chair across a hardwood floor.

See pic below for the ear plugs the hotel offers you (a good idea, but a bad sign if you want a quiet's night sleep).

I don't blame the hotel for their location - just wanted you to know before you book. When I checked out, the front desk person said "how was your stay?" and I shared "the noisiest hotel I've ever stayed at" and he just looked at me and said "oh, sorry - well thanks for staying with us".

Room Tip: Perhaps there's a way to get a room not facing the street?
1 Thank The40YearOldDad
Janita W, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Greetings The40YearOldDad-

I wanted to say THANK YOU for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We are so delighted that you took time out from your busy schedule to this awesome review. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve.

I am sorry that you encountered outside noise during your stay. The great thing about being in a dense urban downtown is the excitement of many people, things to do with a constant a hustle & bustle; however, with that comes noise. As with most hotels in downtown, street noise is something that will be encountered: Downtown Chicago is a dense, bustling city with lots of city noise including emergency vehicles that may be heard throughout all hours of the day. Most guests are not generally disturbed by the noise, but we realize that each person has their own sensitivity to it.

If you would like the dissatisfaction of your stay due to the fire station a bit further, please feel free to personally contact me at the information listed below.

We appreciate the comments as we are always looking for ways to improve the hotel & service we give our guests. We look forward to having you back with us at the Hampton on your next trip to Chicago.

E: Janita.Walton@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (490)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I travel on business quite a bit and I get a bit homesick for the comforts of home....well, this hotel was so great to stay at. The staff was exceptional!!! At breakfast, the staff would walk around and ask you how everything is? do you need more coffee? bring you more of whatever you wanted, brought samples to tables...etc!!! AWESOME!! The cleaning staff was also outstanding. My room always had something extra done to it.

I will stay here again!!!

Room Tip: No comment
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Janita W, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Greetings Ouellette1-

I wanted to say THANK YOU for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We are so delighted that you took time out from your busy schedule to this awesome review. We know how extremely difficult it can be to be out of your comfort zone, away from your family & friends, so it is absolutely our pleasure to open up our doors & become your home away from home. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve.

Erie, Colorado
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I have stayed at this particular hotel 7 or 8 times now and it is just consistently great. EVERYONE is friendly and helpful; they remember me and greet me; it is well managed and well maintained; comfortable; clean; perfect location. It is the best value in Downtown Chicago and one of my favorite places to stay in all my travels.

Greetings Michelle M-

HI MRS. M!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wanted to say THANK YOU for sharing the experience of your 1 of your MANY recent stays with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We are so delighted that you took time out from your busy schedule to this awesome review. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve.

We appreciate the comments as we are always looking for ways to improve the hotel & service we give our guests. We look forward to having you back with us at the Hampton time & time again!

See you soon,

Boone, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed October 6, 2012

From it's perfect downtown location to the service and amenities usually found only at high end hotels, this Hampton Inn provided our team a great environment to work and an amazing taste of Chicago. Friendly and positive staff, fantastic on site restaurant (the Rosebud), upscale modern rooms and an excellent location from which to explore the city. A+++

• Stayed October 2012
Greetings Barbara J-

WOW!!! I wanted to say THANK YOU for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We are so delighted that you took time out from your busy schedule to this awesome review. We are so excited that you gave our hotel an A+++! Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve.

Arlington Heights, Illinois
Reviewed October 6, 2012

The sign outside said "Hampton Inn" but from the greetings and enthusiasm from EVERY single staff member, you'd have thought we were staying at the "Ritz"
We got our room key from the front desk, and 10 minutes later they called upstairs to make sure that everything in the room was OK and if there was anything they could do. The room itself had been recently upgraded, very clean, and the lighting in the bathroom was as bright as I've seen anywhere. My wife appreciated that when she fixed her makeup.
In the morning we went down for the complimentary breakfast. Once again more smiles and greetings from everyone. I believe the hotel was full, it was the weekend of the Chicago Marathon, but the dining area is huge and there was plenty of room for all, plus the staff kept each of the stations stocked, so there was no waiting for anything, and of course I loved the waffle maker.
Yes we heard a few fire engines but you're in the heart of the city.
Overall I can't see how anyone wouldn't be delighted with the value of this hotel. We had recently stayed in Hawaii and paid per minute to use the business office. The computers here were newer and faster and FREE. We also used the small but well equipped fitness center with the usual machines and free weights available.
We'll definitely be stopping here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Greetings Alan R-

WOW!!! What an awesome review!!! Just wanted to say THANK YOU for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We are so delighted that you took time out from your busy schedule to this awesome review. Being compared to the RITZ is such an honor! Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve.

Burnaby, Canada
Reviewed October 4, 2012

The 4 of us took 2 rooms with deal on king-sized beds. Heard occasional sirens when awake, not much when sleeping and we didn't need to ask for ear plugs. All of the staff were so helpful and pleasant to deal with from check-in to check-out. Shout out to Andy for all of his help! The included breakfast had a lot of variety and they changed up the hot items each day. Can't comment on the pool or spa as never had time to try it. Centrally located near many great restaurants and shopping. Walking distance to Navy Pier, Magnificent Mile, Millenium Park, House of Blues, Willis Tower. On subway line to U.S. Cellular Field for White Sox games. The central location can't be beaten and I don't really have anything for "what I liked least".
I'd stay there again, in a heartbeat!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Greetings catica_canada-

I wanted to say thank you for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We are so delighted that you & the other ladies enjoyed spending time with us & that you took time out from your busy schedule to this awesome review. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve.

Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Reviewed October 3, 2012

From the moment we pulled up, we were greeted by an amazing staff. We felt like VIP! They took our bags to our rooms and made us feel great after a long trip. The front desk staff was just as great, greeting us with smiles and enthusiasm. They directed us to a phenomenal pizza joint around the corner and were helpful throughout the stay. The rooms are tastefully decorated and comfortable. There were three of us in a room and we all slept wonderfully.
The complimentary breakfast was nice and the servers were wonderful. I have never had such a wonderful staff come around and refill my coffee and bus my table at a hotel. They even gave us mints as we left every morning.
I highly recommend this hotel! The location was great and the staff made it incredible! Thanks again! :)

Room Tip: Ask nicely, and you will get what you need :)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Greetings Amanda I-

WOW! What an amazing review!!!! I wanted to say THANK YOU for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We are so delighted that you took time out from your busy schedule to this awesome review. Our team always really does strive to give the service our guests expect & deserve.

We appreciate the comments as we are always looking for ways to improve the hotel & service we give our guests. I love your room tip to "Ask nicely, and you will get what you need." I hope our other guests will take heed to your tip.

We look forward to having you back with us at the Hampton on your next trip to Chicago, which is hopefully sooner than later.