WINNER WONDERLAND

GreenLeadersBronze level
Senoia, Georgia
“Location, location, location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

This hotel is in a great area of down town Chicago. Everything is within walking distance, shopping, dining, the "L". You name it, it's close by. Our room was neat, clean and had a great kitchenette. New GE stainless steel refrigerator, and microwave made reheating the awesome leftovers from Maggiano's easy-peasy. Our suite room had a large king-sized bedroom with a large flatscreen LG television. The bathroom had a granite countertop sink area, large closet with a safe and a clean bathroom with a large shower/tub and toilet room. The living room had a comfortable pull out sleeper sofa and a desk area. The kitchen has a nice granite counter top peninsula - great for eating and stashing all of our shopping packages.

We were very concerned when there was a sign in the lobby and another one as we exited the elevator on our floor, offering us earplugs, in case we needed them, available at the front desk! What? Why would we need earplugs? When we saw that our room was right next to the elevator bank, we knew why. A gentle humming of the elevators was our constant companion. We had even requested not to be near elevators on our reservation form. The outside noise was not an issue for us, we were on the inside or backside of the hotel. This was our only 'complaint' of our visit. We would make sure that we did not stay in room #312 again, or any other room next to the elevators.

Room Tip: Ask to be up high and away from street noise and elevator noise and confirm that when you check in.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank susanlst

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Cleveland, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

We recently stayed at this Chicago hotel with our twin daughters, age 1. The fire station was not a problem for us. I took a small white noise sound machine and it was great to have to dull out any noise. The staff is Amazing at this hotel. The Room was super clean and spacious. The Free Breakfast was a nice plus. And the Valets were worth every penny. Almost every outing, we took a cab, and the valets would find us a cab immediately. This vacation was stress free and absolutely wonderful. I can't say enough positives! The only down side was the pool was too chilly for us, but would be a great temp for a lap swimmer. Nice, large hot tub. We loved this hotel, and it will be our first choice if we return to Chicago in the future. oh, and we loved their pillows and duvets!

Room Tip: Our corner suite was spacious and lots of windows.
1 Thank passportmama
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012

I only choose Hamptons because they are reasonably priced and usually include an awesome breakfast. This hotel was no different. We took the MetraRail from Harvard to Ogilvie Station - then just an $8.50 taxi ride to this hotel. Within walking distance to everything - including Michigan Ave and State St.. Hotel front desk has great ideas where to eat, where to go, and what to see. Love the coffee/hot chocolate station and the delicious hot/cold breakfast. Can't wait to go back again to Chicago and it WILL be this hotel! Forgot to mention the awesome pool/hot tub. After a long day of walking, a glass of wine and a soak in the hot tub relaxed us and we were all set for the next days adventures!!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
RossGuthrie, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
offthegridwithjay,

My name is Ross Guthrie, Assistant General Manager of the Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown. I just wanted to thank you for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us. So glad that you enjoyed our pool & coffee service on our second floor.

We look forward the next time you visit Chicago from Madison, WI!

Chicago/Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012

I recently stayed a week in Chicago for business and stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites. I don't know when they redid the theme of this hotel, but I must say, I was delighted and surprised to walk into a beautiful boutique hotel style lobby. The modern green/black theme was carried into the rooms, with an emphasis on clean, cool modern lines and striking contrasts. A bit of Any Warhol on the walls finished off an excellent update. What a surprise, considering the typical Hampton I find near airports or on road trips. So what if they don't have designer soap in the bathroom? I generally bring my own anyway.

The staff at the front desk could not have been more friendly. Seriously. As many reviewers have noted, they are not just pleasant, but personable and willing to go above and beyond the call of duty for the guests.

I used to live in Chicago, so I'm picky about where my hotels are located. I love this location; close enough to the Mag Mile if I want to wander over, but not in the middle of the busiest section; close to the river; close to fabulous restaurants; and easy access to the freeways (if you're driving).

For the price, this is an unbeatable option in Chicago. Did I mention free breakfast, a pool, and free wireless?

Room Tip: Skip the valet parking for $42/night (yikes). Next door there's attended self parking in a stree...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank 00annette00
00annette00,

My name is Ross Guthrie, Assistant General Manager of the Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown. I just wanted to thank you for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve. I appreciate the comments as we are always looking for ways to improve the product and service we give our guests.

We pride ourselves in offering one of the best values for hotel valet parking in the area. Parking in a dense urban area like downtown Chicago can be more expensive than those from less urban areas are used to. While many other hotels raised their parking rates in 2012, we are proud to have kept our 2011 rate all the way through 2012. We realize the additional expense that is incurred by our guests that choose to drive to Chicago & we have compared our valet rates to many comparable hotels in the area. Our most recent rate shop of overnight valet rates of our competing hotels found the rates of: Hilton Garden Inn $49, Embassy Suites $49, Springhill Suites $50, Residence Inn $50, Westin $54. Therefore we pride ourselves in offering one of the best values for hotel valet parking at the current rate of $42 per night for our guests.

I also wanted to let you know, that the all Hamptons in the US will be rolling out Neutrogena bathrooms amenities at all of our properties this year! So perhaps on your upcoming travels, you will be able to enjoy these fantastic bathroom amenities.

We look forward the next time you visit Chicago!

Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here with my wife and daughter, and the room was very nice. Everything was clean. However, we had a suite with a kitchenette, and it doesn't include glasses, silverware, or plates! The microwave was also subpar. The fridge was a small, dorm- style unit. Breakfast was lousy, but on par with other hotels in this class. The thing that stands out is the service, and it is excellent. Everyone was friendly and accomodating. Nice choice for families who want to stay in a central location in the city.

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank jaybird777
Jaybird777,

I am Ross Guthrie, Assistant General Manager of the Hampton inn & Suites Chicago – Downtown. I just wanted to thank you for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve. I appreciate the comments as we are always looking for ways to improve the product and service we give our guests.

You mentioned that you were looking for plates & serve ware in your suite. I wanted to let you know that this is an amenity that we offer at the hotel. Our most basic suites do not include serve ware & cookware, but we do offer upgraded suites with these amenities.

We have Corner Suites which offer:

- Complete cookware & dishware sets to serve 4
- Dishwasher
- Additional 120 sq feet than standard suites (a total of 680 Sq feet)
- Dining area with seating area for 4
- Access to restroom from both living room & bedroom
- 2 vanity areas: 1 in bathroom & 1 in bedroom

We offer great deals on these corner suites: anywhere from $40 to $60 more per night than the 1 bedroom suite. For ultimate comfort, give this most luxurious suite a try the next time you are back in Chicago.

Each Hampton offers the “Hampton On the House hot Breakfast.” This breakfast includes a variety of selections including a rotating hot selection each day. We also offer make your own waffles & hearty oatmeal (with your choice of nutty, sweet or fruity toppings!) each morning as well. Is there anything you would to have likes to see?

We would have you back in Chicago the next time you visit from Missouri.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

What a pleasant surprise to find this hotel one of the best experiences of our long weekend trip to Chicago. The service staff was wonderful, especially Tracee at the front desk (so personable and went above and beyond for us even when she was very busy) and Brandon at the entrance in the evenings. Every need attended to quickly and without any fuss. Even a door closure problem was promptly and efficiently handled by the hotel repairman right after we reported it. Their free breakfast was also remarkable with so many items, including fresh fruit, sectioned grapefruit, mixed fruit, yogurt, belgian waffles, eggs, breakfast potatoes, biscuits and gravy----too many things to mention here. The breakfast table seating area was very large and attendants were present to assist with anything we needed as well as keep items well stocked. I did not find the downtown noise to cause any sleep problem but 2 others in our group did use the free earplugs which worked well for them. We had good advice from the service staff on a great pizza restaurant plus a coupon for a free dessert there. Our suite was cleaned well each morning---they even washed our dirty dishes. We will definitely stay again when in Chicago. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Our suite had 2 double beds and a sofa that could make into a full bed. Also had a stove, dishwasher...
1 Thank Harvestsewn
RossGuthrie, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, March 21, 2012
Harvestsewn,

I am Ross Guthrie, the Assistant General Manager of the Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago – Downtown. I wanted to say thanks for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve. I appreciate the comments about both Brandon & Tracee, they are both very valuable memebers of our Front Desk team.

I am so glad that you got to enjoy our most premium suite: the corner suite with a dining room table & a full kitchen including cookware & dishware. These most premium suites are 680 square feet, larger than my college apartment!

We look forward to having you back with us at the Hampton on your next trip to Chicago from Cedar Rapids.

Omaha, Nebraska, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

Just wanted to type a quick note on what a great time I had at your Hotel.

I also wanted to single out some young people that staff your front desk...
Jamica, Tracee and Brandon.

I was there for 10 VERY busy days at your hotel and they were always helpful, friendly and attentive. Great attitudes EVERY day, even under pressure.

Refreshing to see young people that are obviously enjoying what they do. Give them all a bonus and a raise. :)

I highly recommend the Downtown Hampton Inn!

Thank you so much.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
TimStephens,

I am Ross Guthrie, the Assistant General Manager of the Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago – Downtown. I wanted to say thanks for sharing the experience of your 10 day stay with us. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve. I appreciate the comments about both Janita, Brandon & Tracee. All three are wonderful assets to our team at the hotel.

We look forward to having you back with us at the Hampton on your next business trip to Chicago from Omaha.