“Excellent Five Days”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Naperville, Illinois
“Excellent Five Days”
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Wife and I and two grandchildren had a super Chicago city experience. The Hampton had great staff, super breakfast, nice pool and great location. Clean room and great beds.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank LStone13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed January 19, 2012

We had a great stay at the Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago. The only reason I gave it 3 stars is because I believe that's the level of hotel it is. Even though its very clean and newly renovated it doesn't compete with a luxury level. I would still highly recommend it! We had a suite with a full kitchen, separate bedroom and bathroom, living room with pull out and a kitchen table. For the price you can't beat it! You just don't get the amenities of a boutique hotel or W class Hotel. The staff was very accommodating. The location is perfect for bar hoppers as its right by Hubbard st. Also very close to both Mich Ave and State St. for shoppers.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank karalyn84
RossGuthrie, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, January 22, 2012
karalyn84,

I wanted to say thanks for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve. I appreciate the comments as we are always looking for ways to improve the hotel & service we give our guests.

While we are rates a 3 star hotel, but we strive to provide 5 star service while keeping are prices as one of the best values you can find in downtown Chicago. Is there anything we could have done to achieve a 5 star rating? I am glad that you enjoyed you suite while bar hopping on Hubbard Street & Shopping on Michigan Avenue.

We hope to have you back next time you are in Chicago!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 19, 2012

The hotel is dated and the rooms show it somewhat. There is a firestation nearby which caused interrupted sleep. Front desk people were smiling all the time! A fun hotel at a good location if you're in town to have a good time. If it's for business, you may lose sleep because of internal and external noise.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tulu
Dear tulu,

I am sorry that you encountered outside noise during your stay. As with most hotels in downtown, street noise is something to be expected: Downtown Chicago is a dense, bustling city with lots of city noise including emergency vehicles that may be heard throughout the day. Most guests are not generally disturbed by the noise, but we realize that each person has their own sensitivity to it. For those light sleepers or to those not accustomed to city noise we do offer earplugs at the front desk.

Our hotel completed a multimillion dollar renovation in the Fall of 2010. We renovated all of our guest rooms including all new: carpet, drapes, wall vinyl, furniture, bathroom tile, & vanities with granite countertops.

I am glad that you enjoyed excellent service from the front desk, I will make sure to recognize them for all their smiles! We hope to have you back next time you are in Chicago.

Tuscany, Italy
Reviewed January 19, 2012

This large downtown hotel is in an excellent, central location, and is well run and warmly midwestern.

Staff was expertly trained and uniformly welcoming, rooms were clean, and the service desk responded so quickly to a problem with our shower that I barely had time to get dressed before the workman arrived!

Breakfast was excellent, stocked continuously and served in a spacious, well-lit room; there were even staffers wandering around offering warm-ups on coffee and mints.

The exercise room and business room were well-kept and open 24 hours a day.

In short, all the family was extremely satisfied.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank melrock
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed January 18, 2012

A great location just off the Magnificent Mile on Illinois, almost at the dividing line between The Loop and the Magnificent Mile. My wife and I stayed here and could walk to the northernmost tip of The Mile and as far south Millennium Park. All staff including front desk, valet, breakfast staff and cleaning staff were outstanding. Our room was a king suite with seperate dining area, living room and bedroom. In wall safe was an appreciated item. I requested an inside room, not fronting Illinois, to reduce exposure to the fire trucks screaming out of the fire hall next door. Noise was not a problem. Rate was around the $100 a night mark, great value for this gem.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JJ_McQ
Champaign, Illinois
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I booked this hotel because of the awesome reviews on this site! I booked a King suite. Upon check-in, I was notified the suite I booked was not available. They ended up giving us two adjoining rooms. Traveling with two toddlers, I was looking forward to the extra open space and a living room area, but didn't have time to object nor had time to dispute. The customer service was great, but booking rooms that aren't available is unacceptable.

Pros: good customer service, comfortable beds, nice breakfast included, location, relatively cheap for a downtown hotel.

Cons: VERY loud (I slept with the TV on though which tuned out all the noise), dirty hot tub, "heated" pool was too cold for my kids to even want to be in, booked room wasn't available, expensive parking (although all hotels are like this downtown)

Room Tip: Don't count on getting the room type you booked.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank kmcvig
RossGuthrie, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Dear kmcvig,

I do apologize that we were unable to accommodate the suite that you booked. This is an unfortunate situation that is not common at our hotel & I am sorry that it happened to you. We do try to accommodate guests when this sort of thing happens. Like you said, in this type of situation we do offer two adjoining rooms. This usually is a benefit to guests as not only do the two rooms have all the amenities of a suite, but the two rooms have about 100 additional square feet compared to the suite & also have two full restrooms compared to the suite’s one.

We pride ourselves in offering one of the best values for hotel valet parking in the area. Parking in a dense urban area like downtown Chicago can be more expensive than those from less urban areas are used to. We realize the additional expense that is incurred by our guests that choose to drive to Chicago & we have compared our valet rates to many comparable hotels in the area. Our most recent rate shop of overnight valet rates of our competing hotels found the rates of: Springhill Suites $48, Residence Inn $45, Hilton Garden Inn $45, Embassy Suites $46. Therefore we pride ourselves in offering one of the best values for hotel valet parking at the current rate of $42 per night to our guests.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I stayed at the property for three nights in early January while in Chicago for a professional conference. The price was great (lower than the conference hotels) at about $89/night and the location convenient if not esthetic. As previous reviewers have noted, the local fire station is quite close but that bothered me less than I feared (I had a fourth floor room facing Illinois). What bothered me more were the noisy young people across the hall who slammed doors, ran and screamed in the halls and seemed to have more dramas in their lives in one night than I've had in a decade. I finally complained because I had to be up early and after two hours and several visits by security later it finally quieted down. Why there was no adult supervision is beyond me (and it makes me feel crotchety to say something like that) but it made the first and most important night of my stay particularly miserable. Fortunately, they left the next day and things were better. Breakfast was the usual (although meat in the eggs on two days meant I wouldn't eat them) and the room was comfortable and spotless. The staff was sympathetic to the noise issue but should have been
more proactive about dealing with it.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank stonerjc
NYHistorian,

I am so sorry that you were disturbed by noisy neighbors during your stay. I am glad that security was able to take care of the issue.

We look forward to having you back the next time you travel to Chicago.