“Worth a visit”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: N Ashland Ave
Transit: (between Ashland Ave & Paulina St) Nearest Transit Station: Montrose-brown (Brown Line)
Description: If you are looking for a unique eating experience, Mixteco Grill is the place for authentic Mexican cuisine. Mole sauce is the essence of this restaurant. The menu is simple – a variety of appetizers, entrees and desserts that are made fresh daily. Chef Raul Arreola, formally a sous chef at Frontera Grill of Chicago, puts his special touch to every dish he prepares.
Reviewed April 17, 2012

My partner and I happened into Mixteco Grill on a Friday night without a reservation. It was early enough we got in after only a 20 minute wait. We enjoyed the sopes de tinga and fish empanada appetizers, but my partner -- who is Mexican -- commented that the sopes had nothing "tinga" about them. Add a side of rice or beans and either of these substantial appetizers would have made a reasonable meal. The chicken enchiladas with mole poblano were excellent, with quite a bit of cinnamon flavor in them; unusual but not bad. Crepas rellenas (stuffed crepes) with vegetables and a creamy poblano sauce were not as successful -- they were served lukewarm. Unlike another reviewer we liked the chips and the house-made salsa; the habanero sauce (for which there is a ridiculous $2.00 surcharge) is indeed very hot. The place is BYOB, and they appeared to be handing the beer and wine that people brought very well. There is a liquor store diagonally across the intersection. The main "difference" this restaurant offers is a choice of menu items not commonly found on standard Mexican restaurant menus even in very good places. If you're looking at good carne asada, chiles rellenos, etc., you don't Mixteco grill and its relatively high prices. But if you want to try something a little different, it's worth a visit.

1  Thank Morris F

Reviewed December 11, 2011

The problem with this restaurant is the hype. If I hear one more 'foodie' saying that the Chef is a Rick Bayless alum and the prices are reasonable, I think I may just puke.
We had a very good meal, and I'd return, but it was nowhere near the level of the rave reviews being made.

There are two rooms of the restaurant, both very small, with tables placed VERY closely together. The restaurant is extremely loud, which wasn't so bad given the above-mentioned close quarters, but on the night of our visit it was packed to the gills with the stereotypical 'ugly american' type. Ugh.

We arrived at around 9:30 pm on a Saturday and found the restaurant very busy, but did not have to wait for a table. We were thankful for the liquor store kitty corner from the restaurant, which was obviously thankful for the restaurant and stocked a decent variety of good Mexican beers. We were not charged any BYOB fees, and the servers were very accommodating with opening bottles, iced mugs, wine glasses etc.

Their website is straight up bleak. Seriously! No menu, no real info (other than hours) and poorly designed.

I shared the Queso Fundido and Fish Taco appetizers with my husband. Both were very good, although the Fish Tacos had been doused with citrus juice and consequently the mini tortillas were soggy.

Unfortunately at that time of the evening several of the (smallish) menu items were unavailable. I ordered the Carne Asada, which was tasty but was pretty clearly more American fusion than Mexican, as it was made with a ribeye steak.

One of our table mates found his meal unacceptable and sent it back. The waiter was VERY courteous, and brought his second choice very promptly. Another table mate commented that the mole was entirely too sweet.

We shared the special daily flan, which was large and delicious, and all had coffee--which was also fabulous.

I thought the prices were significantly higher than your normal 'fine dining' Mexican type restaurant, but in line with the quality and freshness of the food.

While I wouldn't make any special effort to return, I'd say the food was good, the service, very good, and the atmosphere....animated, and I'd return given the right circumstances.

Reviewed November 29, 2011

Went to dinner on a Saturday night - eight of us in total. A birthday celebration. Mextico is a relatively small, 2 room, upbeat, colorful place - definitely a neighborhood haunt. The food was uniformly excellent. Some of the best guacamole we've had - very fresh and unusual with tomato, cucumber, serrano peppers, slivers of radish, etc. Superb grilled calamares al Ajillo also. We loved the capon breast - skeptical about the sauce but it was delicious. Try any fish, the grilled pork chop, and enchiladas. Only disappointment was that there wasn't really a shrimp dish on the menu this week. The chocolate dessert was the best of all we tried - lime flan was good as was the banana pudding - we weren't crazy about the crepes with goal milk - something weird about the goat milk flavor I think. THE SERVICE WAS SUPERB BUT THE RESTAURANT WAS SOOOO NOISY EVEN THE WAITER COULDN'T HEAR US ORDER!! So don't venture to Mextico if conversation is what you want - it's the food that matters.

2  Thank lkweiss
Reviewed October 19, 2011

This place is damn good. It's up there with Las Palmas and Los Nopales as my favorite Mexican places in Chicago. I'm thinking 4.5 stars, with that last half a star reserved to see how they do on my second visit.

I expected good things from a restaurant opened by a Frontera alum, but Mixteco easily surpassed my expectations. It's at least my current favorite BYOB place in the city. Our server was an incredibly sweet lady that was very attentive. I ordered the Carne Asada En Salsa Roja. Like, woah. The quality of the meat is what blew me away. There are steakhouses in this city that don't match that quality, and only a handful that beat it. Add in some incredible, fresh guac and a great salsa roja and you've got an amazing meal. I don't think Mixteco pretends to be "authentic Mexican." It's slightly upscale fare like Las Palmas in WP. Still, you can get out of here easily for under $40pp.

1  Thank Rajiv H
Reviewed August 3, 2011

My husnand had carne asada and it was mouth watering, Calamari salad is great to start off with, and i had a grilled chuleta which was also great specially with the fresh hand made tortillas, so far best mexican restaurant i had visit in Chicago. THE BEST